Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 157's Lyoto Machida interested in another fight before likely title shot

Print  
Posted By Message

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
After beating Dan Henderson (29-9 MMA, 6-3 UFC) via split decision, Lyoto Machida (19-3 MMA, 11-3 UFC) said he's healthy and could fight in three months.

But the ex-champ is in no rush to meet the winner of an upcoming title bout between champ Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, which takes place in April at UFC 159.

"Let's see what happens in that fight and the timeline that they come up with and if nobody gets injured," Machida on Monday told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "A lot of things can happen, but depending on the timing, I could even do another fight at a catch weight or something else to not lose the rhythm."

Link

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #1   2/25/13 4:41:55PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:905-564
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
Agreed, Machida should do this. Maybe the winner of Gustafsson/Mousasi.

Post #2   2/25/13 5:12:39PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,155-1,264
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
After that performance Saturday, I doubt the UFC is in any rush to give him another shot at Jones. I say give him Phil Davis if/when he gets by Vinny.

Post #3   2/25/13 5:31:09PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:1,879-1,275
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:

Posted by Lungsofsteel

I like that idea. He needs to fight a tough, young, hungry fighter

Post #4   2/25/13 5:33:51PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:484-292
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

After that performance Saturday, I doubt the UFC is in any rush to give him another shot at Jones. I say give him Phil Davis if/when he gets by Vinny.

What do you have against Phil Davis?

I would like to see Machida fight Lil Nog.(If Hendo doesn't get him)

Post #5   2/25/13 6:01:01PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Me too Lyota.....I would love to see ya actually "FIGHT" the next time around before getting cremated by C.P.S. via U.P.S. delivery back to the Jungle

Last edited 2/25/13 6:06PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/25/13 6:02:32PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,675-1,472
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Machida vs Lil Nog makes the most sense at this point. Both fresh off of wins this could make for an interesting match up

Post #7   2/25/13 7:02:14PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
On one level I totally understand not wanting to rust, but on the other it seems like it could be beneficial for him to to start gameplanning for Jones now. I certainly don't say that to count Sonnen out, but we've seen on multiple occasions that Machida can deal with strong wrestlers, and if Sonnen wins I imagine Machiad can change the direction of his training and be well-prepared in time for Sonnen. If Jones wins, those extra couple months of working towards fighting a guy that talented could be a difference maker, especially since Machida won a round against him the first time. Plus that would eliminate the risk of losing a fight and missing out on a title shot.

Post #8   2/25/13 7:12:34PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,419-820
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by TheCatFather

Posted by Lungsofsteel

I like that idea. He needs to fight a tough, young, hungry fighter

I also thought this but then I thought... Catch weight? Anderson Silva?

I know I know they are best buds that never would fight but Ed Soares is turning into DW always talking out his ass.

Fighting outside your weight class is all the rage now. I'm not sure how I feel about skipping in line for title fights but I love seeing these guys fight outside their weight class

Post #9   2/25/13 7:13:24PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

On one level I totally understand not wanting to rust, but on the other it seems like it could be beneficial for him to to start gameplanning for Jones now. I certainly don't say that to count Sonnen out, but we've seen on multiple occasions that Machida can deal with strong wrestlers, and if Sonnen wins I imagine Machiad can change the direction of his training and be well-prepared in time for Sonnen. If Jones wins, those extra couple months of working towards fighting a guy that talented could be a difference maker, especially since Machida won a round against him the first time. Plus that would eliminate the risk of losing a fight and missing out on a title shot.

On one hand, I'd love to see him fight one more time before the title shot. On the other, a loss or getting beat up, and potentially having a long layoff, could hurt. I suppose if he takes a catch weight fight, and picks his opponent wisely, he could avoid any setbacks.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #10   2/25/13 7:39:07PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
If Chael shocks the world (minus himself and his sharpshooting mom), I see him losing the belt to Machida - and Machida being a lot more aggressive about the title shot. Machida's stance is both karate and sumo, in that it's mobile but incredibly stout. Vulnerable to leg kicks, for sure, but he's almost impossible to take down.

Most of Chael's takedowns are your driving single leg and double leg freestyle, not so much about body locks and clinches and trips. Duck under a punch, grab a leg, drive through the other guy and take him down when he's off balance. With Machida, not only is there a shorter window for that due to his hand speed, he's properly quick about backing up and his wide stance makes it that much more stable.

Also, Chael's tendency to move forward (which I love as a fight fan) is also tactical, like his ability to move off-center and strike from odd angles is way underrated. But he can get clipped by accurate counter-punchers (like in the Bisping fight), and Machida's one of the best matadors in MMA.

Machida also has the advantage of not having to deal with Chael's mindgames on TV for a few months. There'd be some smack in the media, right, but it's a lot different when you're in the same household and you're competing on multiple levels.

I love Sonnen as a fighter and a personality, but I think Machida is, in some ways, an even tougher matchup for him than Bones.

Post #11   2/25/13 9:57:31PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Lungsofsteel

that makes no sense in knocking off a potential contender. Jones has already ran through almost everyone of note. Gus/Mousasi winner should get first crack at Jones/Sonnen winner.

Machida vs Manuwa

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #12   2/25/13 11:57:16PM   

Travesty145

MMA Regular

Travesty145 Avatar

Career:675-411
Chips:
dont make machida fight somebody who will beat him or u lose the contender youve been promoting the hell out of. they always do that. just did it with hendo

Post #13   2/26/13 1:00:27AM