Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC president Dana White tells media that Jon Fitch was cut because "he was too f****** expensive"

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC president Dana White tells assembled media following the UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche pre-fight press conference that Jon Fitch was cut because "he's too expensive."

Link

Last edited 2/21/13 9:12PM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   2/21/13 9:08:24PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
He makes a good point. 65k for a guy only beaten by the champion and two top 5 guys is waaaaaay too much.
Forget the 7 years he's fought for the company. Fuck GSP's toughest test to date. He's too expensive at 65k.

He's wrong and the way he deflected the questions he knows it.
How about some loyalty for the fighters that have been there consistently from the start.
Ranking Fitch at 9th is BS anyway, if he can look me in the eye and say Diaz would beat Fitch and not laugh I'd shoot my balls off. The UFC rankings are a joke.
Below are the most popular mma sites rankings and Fitch doesn't drop below 8th.

Sherdog: 6. JON FITCH
MMAweekly: 8. Jon Fitch
MMAfighting: 4. Jon Fitch
ESPN: 8.Jon FItch
Our own sweet MMAplayground: 8. Jon Fitch

Fitch and Vladdy deserved to end their careers in the UFC. They deserve the money they are on and they deserve the benefits that come with it.
Will Hendo be treated like this if he loses 1 wins and loses again?
He's never held a title in the UFC.
How about Sonnen, Bisping, Koscheck or Diaz?
I don't think so.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   2/21/13 9:34:38PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i think dana has always disliked fitch's style, and after losing to maia, this is the reason dana was looking for to get rid of him. fitch isnt the most exciting fighter i have to admit but i still got to disagree with the cut. oh well.

Post #3   2/21/13 11:03:58PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Supposedly if faber loses Dana is gonna cut him

Bitch move cutting a guy at 60 grand a fight
Who been in the company for a long tenure

Post #4   2/21/13 11:24:59PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,109-603
Chips:
His price doesn't match up to his drawing power.
Heartless business.

"[Fitch] will end up at Bellator or one of these other organizations and he will win a world title," he said. "He'll end up there and he'll smash every single guy over there and he'll be a champ. A guy goes outside, wins some fights, has some impressive runs and then comes back."

I guess Dana thinks Fitch can get more hype outside the UFC. Then FItch can come back with an impressive new highlight real and win streak to market towards fans.

Post #5   2/21/13 11:40:48PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Chips:
$60K is too much for Fitch?! Overeem better be ready for a pay cut!

Post #6   2/22/13 12:33:21AM   

Tyzzler

MMA Regular

Tyzzler Avatar

Career:291-233
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

He makes a good point. 65k for a guy only beaten by the champion and two top 5 guys is waaaaaay too much.
Forget the 7 years he's fought for the company. Fuck GSP's toughest test to date. He's too expensive at 65k.

He's wrong and the way he deflected the questions he knows it.
How about some loyalty for the fighters that have been there consistently from the start.
Ranking Fitch at 9th is BS anyway, if he can look me in the eye and say Diaz would beat Fitch and not laugh I'd shoot my balls off. The UFC rankings are a joke.
Below are the most popular mma sites rankings and Fitch doesn't drop below 8th.

Sherdog: 6. JON FITCH
MMAweekly: 8. Jon Fitch
MMAfighting: 4. Jon Fitch
ESPN: 8.Jon FItch
Our own sweet MMAplayground: 8. Jon Fitch

Fitch and Vladdy deserved to end their careers in the UFC. They deserve the money they are on and they deserve the benefits that come with it.
Will Hendo be treated like this if he loses 1 wins and loses again?
He's never held a title in the UFC.
How about Sonnen, Bisping, Koscheck or Diaz?
I don't think so.

Well sh*t let's compare apples to oranges to Himalayan astronauts why don't we? I agree Fitch probably shouldn't have been cut but he's not an exciting fighter AT ALL. When he's next on the card people take their food/piss break, & it's not because he can't finish, he just chooses to go only for the W. Chael, Bisping, Koscheck, & Diaz are the most counter-examples I've ever heard, they all go balls-out, finish fights, & have the sense above that of a 5th grader to actually promote themselves with the alienable concept of "acting." Those guys just prove the point more as to why Fitch should've gotten cut. Dana says hes expecting to tear it up elsewhere and return, this is just a wake-up call to Jon Fitch that nobody likes to see him fight regardless of how good he is, & he needs to make a career change or bust. Anyways, my 2 cents...

Post #7   2/22/13 12:45:34AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Fuck GSP's toughest test to date.

no way was it his toughest test to date. 50-44, 50-43, 50-44. that was one of the most one sided fights ever. on paper fitch looked tough for GSP but got throughly wrecked by GSP

Post #8   2/22/13 1:19:31AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,511-866
Chips:
how much does the fighter insurance cost?

i know the 60k to show is big, but the fighter insurance has to have a substantial amount on it as well. which must figure in why the ufc is letting some of these guys go

Post #9   2/22/13 4:27:33AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
I don't know why people are saying the UFC doesn't respect him, he was pretty much crying for money because he was broke and they gave him a FOTN bonus in his boring ass fight with Eric Silva, thats pretty respectful

Post #10   2/22/13 6:16:35AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by SmileR

Fuck GSP's toughest test to date.

no way was it his toughest test to date. 50-44, 50-43, 50-44. that was one of the most one sided fights ever. on paper fitch looked tough for GSP but got throughly wrecked by GSP

Argue that point with GSP. He's the one that has consistently says it.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #11   2/22/13 7:17:44AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,754-923
Chips:
Whether you think someone is on a decline or not, the top 10 in any weight division should always be kept. Dana notes that they have 100 guys too many with around 400 guys under contract. There are 9 weight divisions in the UFC. This means that they could have the top 30 in every division under contract, and still have 30 spaces for what Dana considers the desired number of guys. Some divisions are deeper than others, so maybe lightwieght or welterweight should have 40, whilst fly 25 til it deepens or whatever. the point is, in satisfying the numbers he put out there - he could have guys 20 places below Fitch in the rankings (in every division) and still make the numbers. Sorry Dana, your reasoning doesn't make sense when measured by your own parameters.

Post #12   2/22/13 8:01:27AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
He was overpaid for his style of fighting. Yes he was ranked high in the WW division, but no body wants to watch the kid fight. Dana's running a company and wants exciting fighters. I think he used this as a message to the UFC that it doesnt matter who you are, if you dont bring it ever night, youre gone.

Post #13   2/22/13 9:22:31AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,045-608
Camp: TKO
Chips:
In my opinion, Dana's excuse is BS. If Fitch was too expensive based on his recent performance and the downward end of his career, at least offer him a chance to restructure his contract for less to show. I'm sure Fitch would have restructured his contract to stay in the UFC with a chance to reserrect his career.

Post #14   2/22/13 9:30:01AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Chips:
I wonder how much Dana pockets each year from the DanaFightingChampionship? Maybe there's a better place to trim the fat...

Fuck it, these cars are dirt cheap these days...

Last edited 2/22/13 9:49AM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #15   2/22/13 9:45:31AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3