Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dan Hardy responds to Jon Fitch's UFC release

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Post #1   2/21/13 10:22:26AM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:920-574
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
lol....i still dont understand how some of these guys got cut

Post #2   2/21/13 10:27:47AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
He does have a point. If people are indeed giving him shit, they are focusing their energy in the wrong direction.

Post #3   2/21/13 10:32:49AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Everyone does pull the Hardy card when they get cut early and it is bull shit. Its not his decision. Dana White loves the way the kid fights, he brings it, and he has a good style, thats why hes still around. Hes got two wins in a row. IF he loses to Brown he will still have a job.

Post #4   2/21/13 10:33:21AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Everyone does pull the Hardy card when they get cut early and it is bull shit. Its not his decision. Dana White loves the way the kid fights, he brings it, and he has a good style, thats why hes still around. Hes got two wins in a row. "WHEN" he loses to Brown he will still have a job.

I agree, Hardy is an exciting fighter. Not top 10 like Fitch but exciting.
Also FIXED:

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #5   2/21/13 10:48:26AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:
Giving Hardy shit isn't the answer, but the 'Hardy Card' still holds merit when considering the why, and it isn't just the being exciting part. It's the biased favoritism the DFC shows toward certain fighters, and that shit has to stop. For every guy who deserves to get cut but doesn't there is one who will get cut but doesn't deserve it. That's the model for a freakshow or traveling circus, not an actual sport. There's too much Dana right now.

Post #6   2/21/13 10:58:44AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Giving Hardy shit isn't the answer, but the 'Hardy Card' still holds merit when considering the why, and it isn't just the being exciting part. It's the biased favoritism the DFC shows toward certain fighters, and that shit has to stop. For every guy who deserves to get cut but doesn't there is one who will get cut but doesn't deserve it. That's the model for a freakshow or traveling circus, not an actual sport. There's too much Dana right now.

It was Joe Silva who made the cuts. Dana is just the guy dealing with the fall out.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #7   2/21/13 12:12:56PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Releasing Jon Fitch is absolute BULLSHIT. Its been over 24 hrs since I seen this announcement originally and I'm still just as pissed off now as I was then.

Last edited 2/21/13 12:57PM server time by sparky
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   2/21/13 12:57:01PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i think with the merging of SF and the rise of bellator, the ufc gets to be extremely choosey with its fighters now. even more than before. hardy was very lucky not to get cut. i think that if he was an american fighter he would have been cut, but the ufc didnt want to lose any UK fans so they kept him on the payroll.

Post #9   2/21/13 12:57:35PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Chips:
Leonard Garcia has lost 4 in a row & 5 of his last 6. the 1 win is a SD to Phan that many think he shouldve lost.
Melvin Guillard is 1-4 in his last 5 also.
I understand why people would bring Hardy up bc of the 4 fights he lost ina row, but many, including myself until yesterday, forget that Hardy has won 2 in a row over solid opposition

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #10   2/21/13 3:14:40PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,070-584
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Even though Fitch is arguably a top 5 WW, he still doesn't have the PPV drawing power of a barely top 20 Hardy.
Which is what this cut comes down to.
It has nothing to do with rankings/wins/losses, and everything to do with sales.
Dan Hardy puts asses in seats in the US, and he definitely does in the UK. Fitch...not so much.
All rankings/wins/loses aside.
I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Post #11   2/21/13 3:19:50PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
The UFC doesnt need a reason to cut someone, or need to explain why they do it. They run a business you dont see all the shoppers of Walmart getting upset and demanding they keep employees Walmart doesnt like.

Its stupid.

Post #12   2/21/13 3:38:31PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by tmas

The UFC doesnt need a reason to cut someone, or need to explain why they do it. They run a business you dont see all the shoppers of Walmart getting upset and demanding they keep employees Walmart doesnt like.

Its stupid.

Best way to describe that comparison.

Posted by SmileR

Posted by airkerma

It was Joe Silva who made the cuts. Dana is just the guy dealing with the fall out.

Speaking of poor comparisons, I have one! I'm not sure if you're a Star Wars buff, but when it comes to Dana and Joe I see the situation as "Governor Tarkin. I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard."(1) In other words, I believe that the final decision would lie with Dana. If he said: "oh shit, this is a stupid cut" I doubt Fitch would be cut. I'll admit I don't know the full inner workings of Zuffa, but that's how it looks to me.

source
(1) starwars

Last edited 2/21/13 4:43PM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #13   2/21/13 4:35:56PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by tmas

Its stupid.

Best way to describe that comparison.

Post #14   2/21/13 4:53:03PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
the comparison was meant to be ridiculous to show how ridiculous people are being. point is the UFC doesnt owe us anything if they dont want someone fighting for them so be it.

Does Fitch belong in the UFC talent wise. yes, but it doesnt matter he isnt one of the top guys anymore and the UFC doesnt want him there for now.

Post #15   2/21/13 5:02:07PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2