Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Fitch among 16 fighters released from UFC on Tuesday

Print  
  Page 6 of 7   <<   3     4     5     6     7  
Posted By Message

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,272-1,271
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There's a clear financial advantage to letting some of the top fighters go while bringing in new(er) fighters for much less money, knowing they haven't proven themselves yet.

Perhaps the UFC is looking to run a little leaner in 2013 due to their expansion efforts and declining economies (not just in the US). They do run a risk by trying to "start up" in many other countries where they probably have to take a bit of a loss for a period of time until they gain popularity and start pulling in big money.

If they start/continue doing more non-US shows, i think we can expect more of this. If we see a decline in the number of non-US shows, I think you'll see a reversal.

Post #76   2/21/13 1:39:49PM   

alienkiller89

Learning to Sprawl

Career:38-20
Chips:
Man... people are really butt hurt over fitch being cut. Yeah, i don't agree with him being cut, but i also don't agree with bashing dana white or the other guys of the ufc front office because we simply do NOT know what happened here. Obviously, there has to be some other explanation of why the ufc released fitch, who has a ridiculous record with the organization. Honestly tho, i don't care too much to see fitch in or out of the ufc. He's in no way, shape or form a top 5 welterweight... just stop that talk. I can name like 8 or 9 fighters better than him, barely even a top 10 guy. He was a very boring fighter, and he fights like what... twice a year?? Who cares? I don't dislike the guy or think he's a bad person, but i can't say that i know the guy either, or that i looked forward to seeing his bouts. Still shocking to me though, i wonder what happened between him and dana. Look... dana and the ufc gives the fighters a very laid back sort of environment where the fighters have a freedom of speech and say pretty much whatever they want, whenever they want, without severe consequences. Perhaps this was one of those situations where a fighter, in this case fitch, voiced his opinion or displeasure about something, and dana gave him the axe. This kind of stuff happens all the time. Sometimes we will never even know that there is even a problem with a particular fighter until like a few weeks or even months down the road. We just don't know what happened. Fitch is not winning a title and was most likely never getting another title shot again in his ufc career. He was pretty much about to reach "gatekeeper" status, as far as i'm concerned. Not washed up, but a lot like koscheck in that, he just couldn't win the big one. He never quite evolved his game enough, not even as much as koscheck did... and does anyone here even think that koscheck is winning a title anytime soon??

Last edited 2/21/13 4:37PM server time by alienkiller89
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #77   2/21/13 4:35:31PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,718-1,421
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by alienkiller89

Man... people are really butt hurt over fitch being cut. Yeah, i don't agree with him being cut, but i also don't agree with bashing dana white or the other guys of the ufc front office because we simply do NOT know what happened here. Obviously, there has to be some other explanation of why the ufc released fitch, who has a ridiculous record with the organization. Honestly tho, i don't care too much to see fitch in or out of the ufc. He's in no way, shape or form a top 5 welterweight... just stop that talk. I can name like 8 or 9 fighters better than him, barely even a top 10 guy. He was a very boring fighter, and he fights like what... twice a year?? Who cares? I don't dislike the guy or think he's a bad person, but i can't say that i know the guy either, or that i looked forward to seeing his bouts. Still shocking to me though, i wonder what happened between him and dana. Look... dana and the ufc gives the fighters a very laid back sort of environment where the fighters have a freedom of speech and say pretty much whatever they want, whenever they want, without severe consequences. Perhaps this was one of those situations where a fighter, in this case fitch, voiced his opinion or displeasure about something, and dana gave him the axe. This kind of stuff happens all the time. Sometimes we will never even know that there is even a problem with a particular fighter until like a few weeks or even months down the road. We just don't know what happened. Fitch is not winning a title and was most likely never getting another title shot again in his ufc career. He was pretty much about to reach "gatekeeper" status, as far as i'm concerned. Not washed up, but a lot like koscheck in that, he just couldn't win the big one. He never quite evolved his game enough, not even as much as koscheck did... and does anyone here even think that koscheck is winning a title anytime soon??

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Post #78   2/21/13 4:49:19PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,936-1,124
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by alienkiller89

Go ahead, I'll wait.

LOL, Maybe if you're talking every weight class combined.

he's easily top 10 welterweight.

Post #79   2/21/13 4:54:12PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,526-871
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by alienkiller89

Man... people are really butt hurt over fitch being cut. Yeah, i don't agree with him being cut, but i also don't agree with bashing dana white or the other guys of the ufc front office because we simply do NOT know what happened here.

Obviously, there has to be some other explanation of why the ufc released fitch, who has a ridiculous record with the organization. Honestly tho, i don't care too much to see fitch in or out of the ufc. He's in no way, shape or form a top 5 welterweight... just stop that talk. I can name like 8 or 9 fighters better than him, barely even a top 10 guy. He was a very boring fighter, and he fights like what... twice a year?? Who cares? I don't dislike the guy or think he's a bad person, but i can't say that i know the guy either, or that i looked forward to seeing his bouts.

Still shocking to me though, i wonder what happened between him and dana. Look... dana and the ufc gives the fighters a very laid back sort of environment where the fighters have a freedom of speech and say pretty much whatever they want, whenever they want, without severe consequences. Perhaps this was one of those situations where a fighter, in this case fitch, voiced his opinion or displeasure about something, and dana gave him the axe. This kind of stuff happens all the time. Sometimes we will never even know that there is even a problem with a particular fighter until like a few weeks or even months down the road. We just don't know what happened.

Fitch is not winning a title and was most likely never getting another title shot again in his ufc career. He was pretty much about to reach "gatekeeper" status, as far as i'm concerned. Not washed up, but a lot like koscheck in that, he just couldn't win the big one. He never quite evolved his game enough, not even as much as koscheck did... and does anyone here even think that koscheck is winning a title anytime soon??

i thought i'd make this easier for everyone to read

Post #80   2/21/13 5:03:59PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,718-1,421
Chips:
Dana White on the possible Video Game Theory

Ariel Helwani ?@arielhelwani
On if he was fired over video game deal: "Are you f'n shitting me?!" "I don't have one ounce of hate for Fitch."

Dana says they are over 100 guys on the roster. The releases aren't over, he says.

Last edited 2/21/13 5:15PM server time by shawn91111
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #81   2/21/13 5:12:56PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Chips:
HAHAHAHAH holy shit.

I cant believe they cut Sass.

Post #82   2/21/13 5:13:18PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,895-1,080
Chips:
Fitch has never been a favorite of Zuffa. His fights are rather boring, he's death for other contenders, etc.

Also, don't forget that Fitch was dropped before for not wanting to give away all his likeness rights for the video game. Zuffa has always seen Fitch as more of a liability than an asset. A boring fighter that's not a company man is a hard path to cut in MMA these days.

As for the rest of the fighters dropped, I'd have liked to see a couple more get another fight, but the UFC is going to be thinning the ranks hard all year, and lots of these guys might actually benefit from going to a small promo and getting a win or two before they get another UFC fight.

The UFC is looking at it like this: If the fighter is on the roster, they pick up his health insurance. If he isn't on the roster, they don't. Given that most of the guys who are not on the roster will jump at the chance to join up again, the UFC can benefit from not having the guys on the roster until they have a fight coming up. That way, if they get hurt training, the UFC doesn't pick up the bill.

Post #83   2/21/13 5:16:10PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,895-1,080
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Dana White on the possible Video Game Theory

On if he was fired over video game deal: "Are you f'n shitting me?!" "I don't have one ounce of hate for Fitch."

Dana says they are over 100 guys on the roster. The releases aren't over, he says.

Anyone else find it hard to believe a single thing Dana says about whether he has a personal grudge or not?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, we won't get fooled again. - Gdub

Post #84   2/21/13 5:19:48PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,271-1,222
Chips:
I don't believe anything that comes out of uncle Dana's mouth. Remember when he swore Strikeforce wasn't going anywhere.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #85   2/21/13 8:29:39PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,526-871
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
now the twitterverse is saying Bjorn Rebney says he has no intentions of signing Jon Fitch

Post #86   2/21/13 8:46:11PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
ahh if only Pride were still around.....

Post #87   2/21/13 8:49:31PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:691-382
Chips:
i guess the level to get into the ufc just got that much higher.

Post #88   2/22/13 2:40:31AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,547-901
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by kopower

I don't believe anything that comes out of uncle Dana's mouth. Remember when he swore Strikeforce wasn't going anywhere.

DW said Jake Shields v Ed Herman would be a barn burner.

Post #89   2/22/13 11:55:12AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Dan Hardy
Wanderlei Silva
Leonard Garcia
Pat Barry
Steve Cantwell
Mac Danzig
Matt Brown
Fabio Maldonado
Chris Leben

All of these guys have been on worse streaks against far shittier competition, yet Fitch is the one to go. The 3rd best WW in UFC history, one of the best records in UFC history and is cut.

MMA is a SPORT first and foremost. Excitement and all of that crap is secondary to WINNING. Ask Greg Popovich if he cares about what fans think of his team's style. In the words of Herm Edwards, "you play to win the game." But apparently you can lose (and lose bad) and still keep your job in the UFC. Name another sport where that happens. Under this same logic, Tom Brady should be sent packing for not being able to win since 2005. Andy Murray (prior to his major win last year) should have gone to play on a local circuit. Carl Edwards should no longer be in Nascar. Chris Paul should be in the D-League.

How can the UFC claim they have the best of the best when they pull shit like this? I don't understand the logic of signing half the TUF house who have zero chance at cracking the top 15. Making $60,000 a fight is no where near being too expensive. If DFW could stop gambling hundreds of thousands of dollars, he has nothing to worry about.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #90   2/22/13 4:21:10PM   

Page 6 of 7   <<   3     4     5     6     7