Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jon Fitch among 16 fighters released from UFC on Tuesday

Print  
  Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7  
Posted By Message

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
most interesting thing ive read all day

Post #61   2/20/13 9:50:50PM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
BELLATOR 106: ASKREN VS FITCH

BATTLE OF THE BLANKETS

I was shocked by some of these but really Grispi, Santiago, Keith, etc were a long time coming

Post #62   2/20/13 9:53:18PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Fitch and Sass are the most shocking to me. Even though Sass is one dimensional, he is still fun to watch. The way he hunts for subs always had me on the edge of my seat. It seemed his striking was coming around too, against Castillo.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #63   2/20/13 10:44:10PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

BATTLE OF THE BLANKETS

I was shocked by some of these but really Grispi, Santiago, Keith, etc were a long time coming

Fitch isn't a blanket. Absurd statement.

And Santiago getting cut is a long time coming? It was his first fight back in the UFC.

Post #64   2/20/13 10:45:16PM   

WashULawyer

Learning to Sprawl

WashULawyer Avatar

Career:231-175
Chips:
It's a money play by the UFC. To be honest, Fitch is far out from a title picture now. He'd have to beat at the very least 2 of the top 6 WWs in the UFC to be in the title picture again. No reason to pay him like they do, even if it's not that much.

Combine that with the ill will that really started with AKA and UFC video game. Once Maia is in WW, there is no need for Fitch. As Maia showed, at 170, he is the better version of Fitch.

Everyone else cut was even close to the top of the second tier, much less all that disappointing to lose. I have tremendous respect for Fitch. He no doubt has the most will of any fighter. He has done the most with the least imo. But times have passed him by.

A warrior forever. But, not UFC title material. If her gives more fvcorable contract terms after a couple wins, you'll see him return if he wants. Otherwise, let him ride into the sunset...

Post #65   2/20/13 10:56:10PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:985-525
Chips:
This isn't shocking to me what-so-ever. One word, Payroll.

The UFC has new talent coming in from Strikeforce. They have more and more guys coming in from overseas. They have a new Flyweight and Women's division. And they have NINE World Champions that get top pay. People are going to get released from time to time. MMA, or UFC more specificly, isn't a goddamn charity.

Post #66   2/20/13 11:40:21PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Chips:

Posted by Michael_Corleone

The UFC has new talent coming in from Strikeforce. They have more and more guys coming in from overseas. They have a new Flyweight and Women's division. And they have NINE World Champions that get top pay. People are going to get released from time to time. MMA, or UFC more specificly, isn't a goddamn charity.

In Fitch's case, especially. He made $66K his last fight and would have had double that with a win. They don't want to pay a guy that's as far out of the title picture as he is now that kind of money. He isn't one of those guys that Dana hears people clamoring to see on a regular basis, so that doesn't help his cause either. I would guess that they'd take him back for less money, but a solid win streak outside of the organization works just as well when it comes to getting back to the big show.

Post #67   2/20/13 11:46:19PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Chips:
I don't get why they would cut him unless they are somehow certain that he'd never be able to contend with the guys at the top of the division.

If they thought he was done as far as title contention it would somewhat make sense to cut him. He'd be a roadblock in the middle of the division de-railing the title hopes of any up and comer unlucky enough to get matched up with him.

Personally though I think having guys like Fitch are valuable especially at 170 because if they can't handle Fitch's wrestling and ground and pound they aren't going to have much of a hope against GSP. Even if he's not going to be in title contention he's the perfect gatekeeper.

He also deserves some loyalty considering the # of times he's fought for Zuffa.

SOme of the other cuts are also strange, makes me wonder if the UFC is hurting financially.

Post #68   2/20/13 11:49:40PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:985-525
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Michael_Corleone

In Fitch's case, especially. He made $66K his last fight and would have had double that with a win. They don't want to pay a guy that's as far out of the title picture as he is now that kind of money. He isn't one of those guys that Dana hears people clamoring to see on a regular basis, so that doesn't help his cause either. I would guess that they'd take him back for less money, but a solid win streak outside of the organization works just as well when it comes to getting back to the big show.

Fitch could end up like Nate Marquardt when he got cut. Sometimes time away from the UFC is what a fighter needs to re-energize their career. Fitch is way too good to be fighting on undercards, IMO. And if/when he comes back he is instantly "in the mix" for a title shot, as long as he doesn't lose while he is away from UFC.

Post #69   2/21/13 12:02:55AM   

Drudinh

MMA Sensei

Drudinh Avatar

Career:1,589-1,050
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
this is inexcusable

Post #70   2/21/13 1:10:21AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,320-1,389
Chips:
Fitch - iffy call, but i'm sure it had something to do with his style, thats just me thou
Prado - i agreed, 2 sub. losses is never a good thing
Russow - agree d
Volkman - questionable, but im guessing his style and the way he handle himself inside the cage were factors
Vlady - agreed
Mills - could have gave him one more shot aganist another striker
Hieron - agreed, he has never won in any of his UFC chances
Etim - the truth hurts but i agree with this one
Sass - questionable?
Santiago - def gotta go
Stumpf, Keith, Tazuka - agreed
Grispi - should have been cut a while ago tbh
Gomez - blow his chances, as his last fight was a gimme in a way, but he f*cked it up!

just my 2cents on the fighrers that got cut..

Post #71   2/21/13 1:31:36AM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,660-1,165
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
The UFC's loss is regional MMA Orgs gain. Plus a few wins on the indy circuit and they'll be called back.

In the cases of Etim, Mills & Sass, us here in the UK will be fighting over getting them signed. I can't see many of them being out of work for too long. Not just Bellator, but WSOF, XFC, One FC, SFL, RFA, BAMMA UK, Cage Warriors etc. will likely pick them all up between them.

Post #72   2/21/13 6:04:02AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

After thinking it over, I guess this is a notice to all the fighters on the roster that just winning isn't enough, the UFC brass wants you to be exciting above all else. Everyone else in this thread has mentioned guys still on the roster with worse UFC records than some of the guys that got cut, and it goes to show that there is a premium being put on putting on a show. I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just easy to see.

EDIT: Let's not forget that Dana has had problems with Fitch/AKA in the past, and I'm sure that stuff played a role in this even if it wasn't the biggest factor.

THIS. Ive read every post as well. Seen some names of guys that bring it every fight. Dana was never pleased with Fitch's style of fighting. Dana wants guys that put it all on the line.

Post #73   2/21/13 8:53:28AM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,004-584
Camp: TKO
Chips:
This has to set a record for the most comments / posts for a topic on the playground. I agree with everyone else, this is ridiculous. I am guessing its his contract price tag to show.

Post #74   2/21/13 9:10:01AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Franklinfan47

BATTLE OF THE BLANKETS

Fitch isn't a blanket. Absurd statement.

And Santiago getting cut is a long time coming? It was his first fight back in the UFC.

I cant tell if youre being sarcastic, but if Fitch isnt a blanket, why is he being cut? His record is like 14-3 in the UFC. And why were people saying Maia out-fitched Fitch when he layed on his back for 3 rounds?

And Santiago is 1-5 in the UFC. Just because its his first fight back of his 3rd stint doesnt change the fact he cant win a ufc fight anymore.

Last edited 2/21/13 11:29AM server time by Franklinfan47
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #75   2/21/13 11:27:58AM   

Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7