Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White Says Fighters Use TRT to Cheat

Print  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
“If you asked me three months ago, it’s legal. It’s sports science, but everybody figures out a way to take a great thing and cheat and make it bad,” said White.

“Those of you who know what testosterone replacement is, if you’re older, your testosterone starts to get lower. They can give you testosterone to get you back up to (the level of) a 25-year-old. What guys are doing, I believe guys are doing, is jacking up this stuff through the roof through their entire training camp then getting back down to normal levels right before the fight, which is cheating. I hate it. I don’t like it. I’m going to fight it. And if you are using TRT in the UFC, we’re going to start testing the (expletive) out of you, through your entire camp,” White added.link

Post #1   2/18/13 3:35:04PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Chips:
He later implies that even legal TRT use is problematic by saying "maybe you're too old to fight."

I don't disagree.

To me, TRT isn't a legitimate treatment even for old fighters. Aging isn't a disease, its a natural process. Older fighters have always had certain physical disadvantages compared to younger fighters. But they often make up for it in experience and skill.

I'm glad to hear Dana is starting to agree. I'm especially glad that TRT users are going to be watched more closely now.

Post #2   2/18/13 3:38:35PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I think they should do random drug tests before the fights as well. Do it monthly. Hit guys whenever the hell you feel like it. Im not sure how expensive it is and what not. But when a guy starts his camp test him, then test again a few weeks into it and then again and again. Test a few weeks after the fight too. Its the only way to catch the problem.

Post #3   2/18/13 5:27:51PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Chips:
It must be true since Dana said

Post #4   2/18/13 8:15:48PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I think the media has drawn its line on TRT and to the casual fan its now some sort of super roid that can make you invincible regardless of who you face.
But top guys such as Sonnen, Mir, Rampage and a whole list of others have all been cleared to take it and ended up on the ass end of an whoopin'.

In reality it can extend the careers of some of the greatest athletes in MMA, but I do agree that it needs policing a hell of a lot more rigorously.

I think if you've ever been officially caught taking PED's then it should, rightfully, be off limits. Odds are that if it is needed for fighter A to compete on a level field they did that damage to themselves by taking the PED's earlier in their careers.

You can't look someone in the eye and say Vitor at 19 needed TRT, he was naturally an athlete and, in my opinion, its the steroids he's been caught abusing in the past coupled with a naturally declining level that has warranted his exemption and I don't see how that is fair.

Guys like Hendo who have never used PED's prior to using TRT should be given the option to extend their careers and if TRT does that, then why not make it available to them? MMA isn't like boxing, the added years won't mean continuous blows to the head long after your body has naturally told you to give it up.
I've looked into the reason TRT is usually prescribed and a low testosterone level is usually discovered by the mid to late teens. This backs up arguments used by guys like Sonnen and Duffy that they have needed and been prescribed TRT long before competing in MMA. So I believe the fighters medical record should be taken into consideration when applying for TRT exemption.

The, admittedly, limited research I've done shows the major reason guys need to start using TRT in their mid to late 20's/early 30's is steroid abuse. The need for TRT in averagely fit men rises again in the late 30's and even if it is noticed it's usually only a very mild dose needed, steadily progressing as they age.

I'm on Dana's side when it comes to testing the fighters, it is being used to cheat in my opinion. But who's saying the only guys trying to use TRT to cheat are the ones declaring it?
Why not introduce a blanket testing sceme for every fighter signed up to fight, that way it'll make it harder to cycle off and still have any sort of effect by the time the fight comes around.
This is a looong read. Sorry guys.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #5   2/18/13 9:41:02PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I dont know how u can test one guy more the another. With out trt think of the fighters we wouldnt see. That last run randy made he was on trt. What ppl really need to understand is that roids and trt will help ro make you stronger but you will not become a better striker. Your jits skill will not improve by simply taking the stuff. YOU MUST PUT THE TIME IN THE GYM! Thats were they play the biggest role. They help fighters to stay in the gym by boosting energy, aid in muscel recovery, & help recover feom injuries. They also can cause injuries but that has alot more to do with bodybuilding getting to large for their frame. Fighters dont crave that type of build its not conducive to fighting. Ppl seem to blame the injury bug thats been going around on roids but the pride fighter were on it, its not like they were dropping like flies any more then ufc fighters.....at leaste I hope not haha. Sorry im on my phone.

Post #6   2/18/13 10:51:30PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
so where was this line of thinking a month ago? Or 6 months ago? Or at any point over the last few years when TRT was a big story?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   2/18/13 11:21:47PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,436-881
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

so where was this line of thinking a month ago? Or 6 months ago? Or at any point over the last few years when TRT was a big story?

Well you see, it wasn't really relevant until their plans to pit Michael Bisping against Anderson Silva were foiled (twice), by a guy who happened to be using trt. Nothing is really important enough to address until they foil Uncle Dana's plans.

I agree though. Why the hell wouldn't you take steps to address it around the time that Marquardt was cut for not managing his testosterone properly while undergoing the treatment? To me that seems like that would have been the time to be like "Well, you just fucked it up for everybody" and start testing regularly for it throughout the camp.

Post #8   2/19/13 3:44:31AM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:

Posted by postman

I dont know how u can test one guy more the another. With out trt think of the fighters we wouldnt see. That last run randy made he was on trt. What ppl really need to understand is that roids and trt will help ro make you stronger but you will not become a better striker. Your jits skill will not improve by simply taking the stuff. YOU MUST PUT THE TIME IN THE GYM! Thats were they play the biggest role. They help fighters to stay in the gym by boosting energy, aid in muscel recovery, & help recover feom injuries. They also can cause injuries but that has alot more to do with bodybuilding getting to large for their frame. Fighters dont crave that type of build its not conducive to fighting. Ppl seem to blame the injury bug thats been going around on roids but the pride fighter were on it, its not like they were dropping like flies any more then ufc fighters.....at leaste I hope not haha. Sorry im on my phone.

But surely, if you are stronger through using TRT either illegally or through exemption Then extra strength combined with superior boxing with a fighter like Belfort is clearly an advantage as one well landed shot could inflict more damage.

I have been discussing TRT usage so much lately, I am not sure everyone truly knows the ins and outs of using it. There are so many types of Testosterone, some are even factory produced using a whose who list of ingredients that are not from the Human Body. These types of Testosterone are know as Synthetic and are known as a foreign body which in comparison to drug usage in sport is certified as a clear PED.
There is so much information out there, more recently i have discovered new types of Testosterone which have been redeveloped and modified to help athletes who use it to hide the drastic results by dropping the dosage before passing over a urine or blood sample come the day they need to perform. This way, and i suspect fighters like Belfort are doing something similar, you can train and use all the way through your fight camp lowering the intake one week before the fight and the TRT levels fall within the exemptions that has been allowed.

Wether or not TRT is granted by the Athletics commission, It is and always will be permission to cheat.

TRT will kill this sport as it will be readily available in every gym and it will become a shortcut to getting a stronger body in all aspects.

If TRT is not a drug and using it is not a way to cheat in this sport, Why are so many fighters using it? Not only that, why are so many fighters in the 20's and 30's using it as their bodies will still be turning out a good level of Testosterone without putting more in.

I do not care what anyone says against TRT, It may not make you a better boxer or a better wrestler. It may not improve your sprawl or make your submissions better, but it does give your body strength, it can enhance your bodies abilities in more ways than one and it does help your body to recover quicker than someone who does not use TRT.

TRT is Cheating.

Post #9   2/19/13 7:07:33PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by LightsOUT23

Posted by postman

But surely, if you are stronger through using TRT either illegally or through exemption Then extra strength combined with superior boxing with a fighter like Belfort is clearly an advantage as one well landed shot could inflict more damage.

I have been discussing TRT usage so much lately, I am not sure everyone truly knows the ins and outs of using it. There are so many types of Testosterone, some are even factory produced using a whose who list of ingredients that are not from the Human Body. These types of Testosterone are know as Synthetic and are known as a foreign body which in comparison to drug usage in sport is certified as a clear PED.
There is so much information out there, more recently i have discovered new types of Testosterone which have been redeveloped and modified to help athletes who use it to hide the drastic results by dropping the dosage before passing over a urine or blood sample come the day they need to perform. This way, and i suspect fighters like Belfort are doing something similar, you can train and use all the way through your fight camp lowering the intake one week before the fight and the TRT levels fall within the exemptions that has been allowed.

Wether or not TRT is granted by the Athletics commission, It is and always will be permission to cheat.

TRT will kill this sport as it will be readily available in every gym and it will become a shortcut to getting a stronger body in all aspects.

If TRT is not a drug and using it is not a way to cheat in this sport, Why are so many fighters using it? Not only that, why are so many fighters in the 20's and 30's using it as their bodies will still be turning out a good level of Testosterone without putting more in.

I do not care what anyone says against TRT, It may not make you a better boxer or a better wrestler. It may not improve your sprawl or make your submissions better, but it does give your body strength, it can enhance your bodies abilities in more ways than one and it does help your body to recover quicker than someone who does not use TRT.

TRT is Cheating.

No TRT is not cheating as there is a rule in place that says this is where your levels need to be. If your levels are within this range then you can fight. You can not simply make your own rules your not an athletic commision. Your also foolish too think fighters are not cycling roids anyway.

Post #10   2/20/13 2:06:16PM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:

Posted by postman

TRT is Cheating.

No TRT is not cheating as there is a rule in place that says this is where your levels need to be. If your levels are within this range then you can fight. You can not simply make your own rules your not an athletic commision. Your also foolish too think fighters are not cycling roids anyway.

TRT is a PED that is why certification is needed to take it whilst fighting. The fact that these commissions allow fighters to take TRT through exemption is insane because TRT is listed within the rules of PED's in MMA as a PED. End of.

I have no doubt Roids are involved with some fighters, but TRT is also highly effective in appearance and performance in the most of all extreme levels - VITOR BELFORT !!!

Post #11   2/20/13 6:11:52PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by LightsOUT23

Posted by postman

TRT is Cheating.

TRT is a PED that is why certification is needed to take it whilst fighting. The fact that these commissions allow fighters to take TRT through exemption is insane because TRT is listed within the rules of PED's in MMA as a PED. End of.

I have no doubt Roids are involved with some fighters, but TRT is also highly effective in appearance and performance in the most of all extreme levels - VITOR BELFORT !!!

How? His levels were legal and the legal level isn't an elevated level its in the range of a normal guy.

Post #12   2/21/13 3:18:45PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,254-836
Chips:
Its also legal to shoot someone in certain states of the USA if you feel threatened.

That doesn't mean its right.

Post #13   2/22/13 12:57:34PM