Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC boss still expects Daniel Cormier to move to light heavyweight

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
While the UFC's featherweight division has been the focus of fighters dropping weight classes, UFC President Dana White believes the light-heavyweight division could soon have a new addition.

Most notably, he's optimistic recent Strikeforce import Daniel Cormier (10-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) could soon make the drop from heavyweight.

"I think he's awesome," White said. "But at 205 (pounds), I think he'd be a beast."

Up first, of course, is Cormier's co-headliner with fellow heavyweight contender Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) at April's UFC on FOX 7 event. If victorious, it could put the Olympian and Strikeforce world heavyweight grand-prix champion on a collision course with UFC heavyweight titleholder and current training partner Cain Velasquez (11-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC), who meets Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva (18-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC) in May at UFC 160.

LINK

Post #1   2/18/13 2:21:55PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Unfortunate to lose such a good HW if this is true, but it isn't like LHW is particularly deep at the moment either.

Post #2   2/18/13 2:25:44PM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,099-666
Chips:
Honestly, veterans (Machida, Henderson, etc.) and young guns (Gustauffson, Manuwa, Texeira, etc.) make a pretty weak list of guys for JJ to fight. If he fought all of them in a row, I'd put money on him going 5-0. I think Cormier, on the other hand, is a legitimate threat. I like him at LHW more than I do at HW.

Post #3   2/18/13 4:07:20PM