Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Setting The Record Straight: Dana White on the removal of wrestling from the Olympics

Print  
Posted By Message

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,933-1,134
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Earlier today, BJPenn.com posted a quote from UFC president Dana White, in regards to wrestling being removed from the Olympics starting in 2020. The quote from White stated, “this sport draws, wrestling doesn’t”. While he did in fact say those words, it’s important to see all of what he said in the way it was intended. Besides immediately calling it’s removal “crazy”, he talked about how great the sport is, skill wise for MMA, and how life changing it’s been for many wrestlers. He also spoke about how this could be the natural evolution of MMA, and that it could be the beginning of MMA in the Olympics. All of this was in regards to being television friendly, selling tickets, and from an entertainment perspective. How the whole statement actually reads is, ”The problem is nobody wants to watch it. Any sport especially these days, it’s about selling tickets, and eyeballs, and viewers and all these other things.” ”What this could be is the evolution of mixed martial arts becoming an Olympic sport,” White said. “We bring spectators, eyeballs, whether it’s on TV or whatever it is this sport draws, wrestling doesn’t.”

LINK

Post #1   2/15/13 2:46:37PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
dana has a point. too many people have lost interest in wrestling these days, at least as spectators. seems like the stands are rarely filled and the people that are there is mostly family. very unfortunate

Post #2   2/15/13 3:58:02PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
So Dana's saying where going full circle just to find out we want Pankration back in the olympic games.?

That's fine with me,but I've seen far more boring than wrestling in the modern games.

Post #3   2/15/13 4:06:44PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,054-613
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

That's fine with me,but I've seen far more boring than wrestling in the modern games.

Samesies, until last year the olympics were fading away as their ratings were quite poor. In general, most people don't care about any of the sports involved, so it's tough to point at one and say "oh crap this is super boring but the rest are ultra exciting!".

Post #4   2/15/13 5:23:27PM