Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Going into the police academy

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,549-1,359
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I've decided to do something to better myself along with starting a new career. I'm stepping down as a manager at In N Out and I'm going to pursue law enforcement. Just wanted to know if there were any people who have been to an academy or is an employed police officer.

Post #1   2/14/13 3:56:02PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Chips:
Bojangalz would be the person to talk to

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #2   2/14/13 4:09:22PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,871-1,103
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I havent mate but I wish you all the luck, hope it works out well.

Post #3   2/14/13 4:36:41PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I was in the academy in Milwaukee WI. I was a police aide intern right out of high school for a year and a half. I worked in the Central records building out of ditrict 3. Which was pretty much taking phone calls from officers for stolen cars, missing children, suicide attempts. As well as photo evidence, phone calls from civilians for stolen or damaged property. I worked on payroll and as a dispatcher in district 6. And was in the academy. I couldnt handle the hours honestly. I was young, I wanted to be partying, so midnight to 8 in the morning wasnt good for me. I battled but couldnt handle it. I made some good friends and had some great experieces for the year and a half i was there. Looking back i made the right descision, even tho i would be making more money as a cop right now.

Id say go for it, its a good profession, if you can handle the hours.

Post #4   2/14/13 5:00:46PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

I've decided to do something to better myself along with starting a new career. I'm stepping down as a manager at In N Out and I'm going to pursue law enforcement. Just wanted to know if there were any people who have been to an academy or is an employed police officer.

I'm at university training to be one

Good luck man

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #5   2/14/13 5:04:38PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Chips:
I would make sure you get accepted to a academy first before u quit your job. Either that or keep the job and
Take night classes for starters

Post #6   2/14/13 5:33:29PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Good luck hotrodttt! I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

I have a lot of friends who are waiting to become police officers. They have their education and training and are working as security guards, waiting for a spot on the local PD to open up. Now that California has a balanced budget, hopefully the PD's will have more openings and you can slide right in.

Post #7   2/14/13 6:16:08PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Chips:
good luck hotrodttt!

we need more good ones to outnumber the bad ones!!!!!

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #8   2/14/13 6:25:51PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
don't smoke all the confiscated dope to yourself sharing is caring

seriously though, good luck and like kopower said, talk to bojangalz if you have questions

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   2/14/13 6:31:37PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Chips:

Good luck man.

Post #10   2/14/13 8:50:15PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

I've got a better idea. Find a job that pays well. One that doesn't involve shift work, holidays, or weekends. Otherwise- Prepare yourself for the reality that you'll be nothing more than a glorified garbageman. Understand that within the first few months you'll be jaded, and cynical. You'll have to rely on a very dark sense of humor to get past the bleak outlook you'll undoubtedly develop.

Come to terms with the fact that you're not going to be wanted by just about anyone you are called to "help". You'll deal with 10% of the population 90% of the time. And believe me, it's not the upper ten percent either. You're split-second actions will be scrutinized and analyzed over and over; often times in a court of law. Very often (most of the time in fact) the split second-decision you make with be perceived as having a negative impact by those who are effected (even if you're doing what's best for them). Know that a majority of the time, those who need help the most will do whatever they can to avoid it.

You're going to be micro-managed. There's a seemingly unending threat of budget cuts. The vest you'll where under you're shield will leave you with heat rash all summer long. Oh, and did I mention that there's always the small chance you'll need to take a bullet?

But if you can get past those minor details you'll find that few jobs are more personally satisfying or self-gratifying. You'll be left with only the strongest of ties to those of a like mind and personal pride in their civil duties. You'll be left with some of the greatest stories, those that can only be appreciated or even understood by someone who has been there before.

There really aren't too many things you can do on this earth to replicate the feeling you get rolling up on a hot call knowing that you are the person EVERYONE there is at to restore order and save the day. There's a bit of inner piece that only a sheepdog can have in understanding that while everyone else is running away, it is you who runs towards the gun fire. It is you who embraces the chaos. It is you willing to protect the flock when the wolf is at the door.

Law enforcement ins't a job. It's a profession, and a calling.

As far as academy goes. It varies by state. In Minnesota we have to go to college first and receive at minimum a two-year Associated of Applied Science Degree in Law Enforcement. There's always the ability to go for additional years and get Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice, etc. After successful completion of a Professional Peace Officers Education program we need to take a state board exam (similar to a Doctor or Liar... I mean Lawyer). We have to complete the state exam to be license by the POST (Peace Officer's Standard's and Training) board.

Once we're POST certified we can be hired by any agency in the state. From there we go into whatever specific training the agency has set up. Some agencies are nothing more than a few hours riding around with a partner. Most medium size or larger departments have a FTO (Field Training Officer) period that can last anywhere from a few weeks to six months or more. Really just depends on where you wind up and what their policies are.

Best of luck, hotrod.

Post #11   2/14/13 9:16:32PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Chips:
bojanglez telling it how it is & reminding me why i am not only fit to be a police officer, but also why i respect the shit out of them....the good ones anyways

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #12   2/15/13 5:53:47AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Good luck, man

Post #13   2/15/13 8:04:48AM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:985-525
Chips:
I have a few friends that work for the Sheriff's Office and Police Department where I'm at. The Academy is going to be real tough, but it shouldn't be anything that you can't handle.

Not trying to be an asshole or anything, but Police Officers have one of the highest suicide rates of any job profession. Just throwing that out there.

Post #14   2/16/13 12:48:38AM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:604-324
Chips:
Good Luck Man

Post #15   2/16/13 2:51:47AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2