Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The BIGGEST EVER Draft Project

Print  
  Page 19 of 31   <<   16     17     18     19     20     21     22   >>
Posted By Message

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:896-557
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
My feelings when I looked over the bids and realized I only got one guy...

but then I was all like

Last edited 3/30/13 5:09PM server time by jakewalters
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #271   3/30/13 5:07:10PM   

trevail

MMA Sensei

trevail Avatar

Career:1,176-602
Camp: SlaughterHouse
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by jakewalters

1/10?!?! Ffs.

With 3/4 Mil bids how are we going to compete...however all the big named guys have been taken so hopefully it goes back to "normal". Either that or just like in poker the guys with the loot can really bully the pot and screw us all real hard.

yeah its a huge disadvantage for those of us that didn't have big names (washouts ranked worse than top 80) last round. A lot of peoples votes seemed to based solely on name power so its gonna be hard again this round with all the names being scooped up early by huge bids.

Example, a "name" fighter scoring a TKO is more impressive than a lesser known scoring a true KO?

This time around will probably just be a learning experience for me since my original gameplan seems to be shot....

Post #272   3/30/13 6:59:55PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:896-557
Chips:

Posted by trevail

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by jakewalters

1/10?!?! Ffs.

With 3/4 Mil bids how are we going to compete...however all the big named guys have been taken so hopefully it goes back to "normal". Either that or just like in poker the guys with the loot can really bully the pot and screw us all real hard.

yeah its a huge disadvantage for those of us that didn't have big names (washouts ranked worse than top 80) last round. A lot of peoples votes seemed to based solely on name power so its gonna be hard again this round with all the names being scooped up early by huge bids.

Example, a "name" fighter scoring a TKO is more impressive than a lesser known scoring a true KO?

This time around will probably just be a learning experience for me since my original gameplan seems to be shot....

Couldn't agree more. I tried to judge cards more on entertaining finishes rather than which card had which fighter. It's sort of like giving the best teams from last season the first picks in next year's draft. It perpetuates the good orgs getting better and the bad ones getting worse.

Not that I'm trying to compain, I definitely think good cards should be rewarded, and having good fighters is definitely a part of that. I'd rather see Reem and JDS fight to decision than two no names get a flash KO.

Still though.. I spent 300k on Daron Cruickshank thinking that was a shit load of coin to be spending on one guy. Next thing I know, I see bids for like 3m when they're posted haha wtf

Post #273   3/30/13 7:53:44PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,545-881
Chips:
lol every draft project ive been in has been a learning experience. i suck at these, but they sure are fun

also, when i vote on cards, the result of the fights do have some say so. the 1st round is always difficult bc of the guys i dont know. lots of the little guys fight to decisions, but i dont know if theyre exciting decisions or boring bc ive never seen a guy fight before.

everyone votes different ways for different reasons, which in my opinion makes the game more fun

i personally vote a little different each time, on both fight cards & fight results, based on my mood that day & how im feeling.

sometimes i would think that guy has a 10% chance of winning a fight, but since anything can happen in mma, i'll give em that win every now & again, just bc that's how the sport works. im sure not everyone does this, but thats how i roll

Last edited 3/30/13 8:20PM server time by Poor_Franklin
2 total post edits

Post #274   3/30/13 8:16:04PM   

trevail

MMA Sensei

trevail Avatar

Chips:
I agree with you guys fully and I can see where different view points come from. There were a cpl fights I was totally suprised by.

Post #275   3/30/13 9:30:25PM   

oForrestGriffino

MMA Regular

oForrestGriffino Avatar

Career:1,012-555
Chips:
This game seems to be about making mistakes which alot of us did from the beginning including myself. Its also about choices. When it comes to voting some ppl know more fighters than others. I was ranked anywhere from 1st to 10th for example when it came to card votes. Its a game of choices, strategy, and making the right decisions.

Im all for it tho, I like the suspense.

Last edited 3/31/13 2:27AM server time by oForrestGriffino
2 total post edits

Post #276   3/31/13 2:19:18AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:

Posted by oForrestGriffino

Posted by Poor_Franklin

This game seems to be about making mistakes which alot of us did from the beginning including myself. Its also about choices. When it comes to voting some ppl know more fighters than others. I was ranked anywhere from 1st to 10th for example when it came to card votes. Its a game of choices, strategy, and making the right decisions.

Im all for it tho, I like the suspense.

everyone votes different ways for different reasons, which in my opinion makes the game more fun

I'm a weird MMA fan. I love Nick Ring, thought Hendo/Machida was exciting, Mike Easton is the least entertaining fighter I've ever seen, I don't hate lay and pray fighters, I hate the opponent for letting them do it. There is no point in trying to please me.

Posted by Poor_Franklin

sometimes i would think that guy has a 10% chance of winning a fight, but since anything can happen in mma, i'll give em that win every now & again, just bc that's how the sport works. im sure not everyone does this, but thats how i roll

I try to do the same thing unless I know nothing about fighters. Also looking back on past projects, people have picked Diego Brandao before TUF and he lost I think every fight in the draft project. TUF comes along and he gets exposed.

EDIT:
Little Draft Project Trivia for you, Diego Brandao was picked by Rabi he was ranked 78th at FW and cost 220k per fight. The draft began in September, Diego made his UFC debut in December His record went like this:

FW Diego Brandao v Tomonari Kanomata - Brandao rd1 tko
FW Title - Joe Soto v Diego Brandao - Soto UD
FW Diego Brandao v Pablo Garza - Garza rd1 tko
FW George Roop v Diego Brandao - Roop rd2 tko
FW Diego Brandao v Jonathan Brookins - Brandao rd1 tko
FW Title (C) George Roop v Diego Brandao - Roop UD
SF 1 FW Jonathan Brookins v Diego Brandao - Brandao rd1 tko
FW GP Final Diego Brandao v Tyson Griffin - Griffin UD

Also he was introduced into the second round of bidding and nobody snatched him up...

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #277   3/31/13 8:29:00AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Chips:
I have a couple of things I voted on. Yes named fighters was one, but also who they matched up with, how many fights were finished and how, and lastly I gave each guy who posted more than the minimum number of fights an additional rank, just yo reward the player for nabbing up previously unknown fighters and giving them a chance to shine. It is to me more than simply voting on your organization's card, it is voting on your organization.

Post #278   3/31/13 11:45:29AM   

trevail

MMA Sensei

trevail Avatar

Chips:
Yeah my thought process was to acquire prospects on their way up rather than UFC releases on their way down (epic failure). As for voting, I also looked for full cards because let's face it no one is paying to see a 5 fight card in reality, and then I looked at the quality of the fighters and then the match making. One sided beatdowns featuring one name fighter don't really hold much weight in my eyes.

Post #279   3/31/13 12:58:30PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,933-1,134
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I rank all the individual fights from the fights I would most enjoy watching down to the least. Names and finishes tend to well with my system.

I love the fact every one uses a different system.

I hope all the new players are enjoying the game, this is my favourite game to run and play in.

Post #280   3/31/13 1:09:49PM   

oForrestGriffino

MMA Regular

oForrestGriffino Avatar

Career:1,012-555
Chips:
I judged the cards based off of what cards Id like to see from first to last. The way I ranked my top 3 cards was by seeing that they had name recognition in almost every fight and to me that is a better card than some of the bigger cards with less or no name recognition. I dont like ranking unknowns too high. Ive seen it time and time again when someone is undefeated, joins the UFC, and then loses their first fight. However, if someone has only one or two descent fights on a 5-7 fights card then theres a good chance that I would rank a 10 fight card higher. I felt I ranked pretty accurate for the most part. Its not likely for anyone to have the exact same 10. Anyone can argue to be up or down a rank or two IMO when it comes to how I voted. I really enjoy the game as well and all its surprises.

Post #281   3/31/13 1:51:06PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Chips:

Posted by Rabi

I rank all the individual fights from the fights I would most enjoy watching down to the least. Names and finishes tend to well with my system.

Post #282   3/31/13 2:10:46PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Chips:
Something else I do is in this notebook I have I write down the cards to assist in making picks when the card is announced. If I see an interesting or exciting fight then I just give them a little star, it's very elementary but you want stars in my class.

Post #283   3/31/13 2:32:04PM   

trevail

MMA Sensei

trevail Avatar

Chips:
Absolutely, I thought Rabi did a great job creating a large card with even fights featuring above average name value. Easy number one for me. Brookins vs Bermudez would truly be a sick fight so that also aided the card on top of an easy FOTN pick.

Post #284   3/31/13 2:39:45PM   

trevail

MMA Sensei

trevail Avatar

Chips:
Like I said before its definitely a learning experience for me this time around. Unfortunately even doing average in the first round has severely handicapped me moving forward. It would have cost half my bankroll to secure just a few top names. Then I'd have to try and cover salary on top of that.

Post #285   3/31/13 2:42:48PM   

Page 19 of 31   <<   16     17     18     19     20     21     22   >>