Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

EXCLUSIVE (Part 2) | Anthony Pettis: I Feel Like I Have the Best Striking in MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,883-1,113
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
The mixed martial arts world waits with great anticipation for August 3rd to arrive. Barring injuries we will witness what could possibly be one of the best fights of 2013 when UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo defends his title against Anthony “Showtime” Pettis at a yet to be named venue or event.

It’s completely understandable that so much focus is going into that fight, but let’s not forget the fact that just one week before the Aldo fight was announced, Pettis had decimated Donald Cerrone in the first round at UFC on Fox 6. Afterwards UFC President Dana White announced that Pettis would face the winner of the April 20 showdown between UFC Lightweight Champion Benson Henderson and Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez.

There is much more to Anthony Pettis than his decision to forgo the lightweight title shot and call out Aldo. His performance against Cerrone was masterful and shocked a lot of fans who thought the two would go to war for 15 minutes. Pettis, however wasn’t surprised with the way things ended in Chicago.

“No man, I had a long layoff, I was out for a year,” Pettis told BJPenn.Com Radio. “The whole time I was off this guy was pushing my buttons and calling me out. He was saying I was afraid to fight him and that I was a fighter who tried to hide out behind one of my wins. That was not the case, I was really injured. I had surgery on my shoulder, when you have shoulder surgery you really can’t do much, it takes a long time to recover. I had a lot of aggression built up, it kind of sucked that it only lasted about two minutes because I had a lot planned.”

LINK

Post #1   2/8/13 4:26:08PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I heard there's a guy called Anderson Silva who is supposed to be pretty good at striking. Best at LW maybe.

Post #2   2/8/13 5:44:07PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,133-678
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I heard there's a guy called Anderson Silva who is supposed to be pretty good at striking. Best at LW maybe.

He's back

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #3   2/8/13 6:19:19PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
silva is obviously the better striker because he has proved it over and over, but i do think pettis is probably not far behind in talent. cerrone's standup is very dangerous and very technical and pettis shut it down no problem.

edit: now that i think about it, jon jones' striking is probably up there also. i would put silva and jones infront of pettis at this point.

Last edited 2/8/13 6:39PM server time by tcunningham
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   2/8/13 6:33:04PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
I believe it , and if he beat's Aldo case closed.imo

Post #5   2/8/13 8:36:12PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Barao disagrees.....and rightfully so.

Post #6   2/8/13 8:57:20PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

silva is obviously the better striker because he has proved it over and over, but i do think pettis is probably not far behind in talent. cerrone's standup is very dangerous and very technical and pettis shut it down no problem.

edit: now that i think about it, jon jones' striking is probably up there also. i would put silva and jones infront of pettis at this point.

If Jones didn't have a 10" reach on everyone, his striking would look a little above average

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   2/8/13 10:18:27PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,013-583
Chips:
I can see him being the top striker at LW but overall I would say Silva, Barao, Aldo, and Machida may have better striking.

Post #8   2/9/13 1:48:56PM   

JLS1980

Jinh Yu

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,183-631
Chips:
I like his confidence. I can see how he feels this way. He is a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo.

I personally don't think he's #1 but very close. I think he's #1 as far as creativity, diversity, etc. At 26 years old he's getting strikes named after him.

And I do think he is a better striker than Jon Jones.

Here's some additional information on Showtime.

Link

Post #9   2/9/13 5:08:06PM