Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anthony Pettis: “I Was Wrecking Things At 55? No Need To Drop Down Until Now

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,878-1,108
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
26-year-old Anthony Pettis has accomplished quite a lot in his short time in mixed martial arts. The 3rd degree Taekwondo blackbelt holds an impressive 16-2 record with seven wins coming by way of knockout and six by submission. He was the last reigning WEC Lightweight Champion having defeated current UFC Lightweight Champion Benson Henderson for that distinction.

Since coming over to the UFC in June of 2011, Showtime is 3-1 with wins over Jeremy Stephens, Joe Lauzon and Donald Cerrone. His lone loss came via decision to Clay Guida in his Octagon debut at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale.

Pettis’ performances continue to be more impressive with each passing fight. It seems the more he fights inside the Octagon the more comfortable he becomes. His confidence is growing by leaps and bounds inside the cage and out. Pettis has never been known to be shy and has no problem going after things he wants. After defeating Lauzon via headkick knockout in the first round at UFC 144, Pettis asked for a shot at Henderson and the UFC lightweight crown.

Unfortunately for Pettis he was on the shelf for the rest of 2012, but made a huge statement upon his return. After being called out and having his manhood questioned by Cerrone, the two met on Saturday January 26 in Chicago on the UFC on Fox 6 card. It took all of 2:35 for Pettis to dispatch of Cowboy via TKO. Afterwards UFC President Dana White announced that Pettis would meet the winner of the upcoming UFC lightweight title bout between Henderson, the reigning champion and Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez. Those two will meet on April 20 in San Jose at UFC on Fox 7.

LINK

Post #1   2/7/13 3:50:41PM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,010-590
Camp: TKO
Chips:
The way things are going, does this mean if he beats Aldo, Clay Guida will be clamoring for a title shot as he was the last person to beat Pettis. I know we are all excited to see Guida fight again.

Post #2   2/7/13 4:30:44PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

The way things are going, does this mean if he beats Aldo, Clay Guida will be clamoring for a title shot as he was the last person to beat Pettis. I know we are all excited to see Guida fight again.

Ugh

Post #3   2/7/13 5:05:54PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:920-574
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
can't wait to see this fight wooooooooooo!!!

Post #4   2/7/13 5:13:52PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Yeah, I'd be sad about this as well, but the great thing is that it's extremely unlikely.

First off, Pettis has to get past Aldo. Huge challenge. The thing that makes it so compelling to me is that (barring an off-peak Cub Swanson) neither has faced a striker who can match each other's confidence and versatility and shotgun power. These guys are walking highlight reels, and they've built those against very good fighters - just ones who, to this point, haven't quite been able to match them on the feet.

Even if Pettis wins (which I give him an even chance, but just that), there are considerably more exciting fights and unanswered questions for him. Maybe he fights Bendo to win 2 belts back to back. Maybe Chad Mendes leapfrogs a contender with a strong win. Maybe Chan Sung Jung gets his well earned title shot, or Cub Swanson gets a chance for a little redemption.

The only things that Guida has going for him are flimsy and getting even weaker over time. His fanbase is reducing in both volume and passion, and the direction he's taken since fighting Pettis has been proportionally as unimpressive as Pettis's has been impressive.

Nothing's impossible, right, but as terrifying as the prospect is, I'm not sweating it overmuch. Yet.

Post #5   2/7/13 7:43:05PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'd love to see Guida win a title

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #6   2/7/13 9:19:00PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Last edited 2/7/13 11:00PM server time by papercut
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   2/7/13 10:59:07PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
for everyone in the past year who wanted Pettis to leapfrog contenders to fight Bendo for the title because "he already beat him once" by default must want Guida to fight Pettis for the FW title if he beats Aldo.

Last edited 2/8/13 12:06AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   2/8/13 12:06:08AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,370-793
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Pettis is the better all around fighter, I will likely pick him but I don't have a clue how it goes down, I've considered these guys the best stand-up fighters in their divisions for a while, but I'm not sure why I never pictured them fighting.

Post #9   2/8/13 12:19:29AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

for everyone in the past year who wanted Pettis to leapfrog contenders to fight Bendo for the title because "he already beat him once" by default must want Guida to fight Pettis for the FW title if he beats Aldo.

It was *a* reason I wanted Pettis to rematch Bendo, but it also included reasons like -

--How much they've improved since the WEC finale
--How exciting that finale match was
--How well they've matched up against the other LW top contenders
--How a belt can make those already interesting fights even more interesting
--How Pettis had been promised a UFC title shot with the WEC win

I'm actually okay with Pettis having to work his way back up after the Guida loss. He chose to forgo an immediate title shot for a fight against a risky opponent. No one made him do it. I don't agree, however, that Bendo/Pettis is the same situation as Pettis/Guida. MMA math is a tricky thing, and the sport is a lot more complex than who beat who at what time.

Post #10   2/8/13 2:20:23AM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,558-1,362
Chips:
This must mean Melendez is getting a title shot, I'd rather see Pettis vs Bendo but w/e. Melendez vs anybody is exciting and I can also say the same for Pettis.

Post #11   2/8/13 3:15:58AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

This must mean Melendez is getting a title shot, I'd rather see Pettis vs Bendo but w/e. Melendez vs anybody is exciting and I can also say the same for Pettis.

Melendez's title shot is old news.

Post #12   2/8/13 7:27:41AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

You letting your GF run your account again?

Post #13   2/8/13 9:55:30AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,370-793
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't really think Pettis beats Henderson again, I would love to see the fight but I think Henderson will prove to be the stronger fighter again, Pettis was very close to losing that fight and was fortunate to come away with the win. Aldo on the other hand is a guy that loses most of his explosiveness early and I think that totally favors Pettis who is less conventional and also more technical as well, Aldo I think has more lethal striking but I feel that Pettis is more controlled and is the better finisher.

Post #14   2/8/13 10:11:02AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Chips:
He dropped for a title shot
Don't blame him he should have had one a year ago
I don't wanna see him lose to aldo than go back up to 55 bitching for another title shot

Post #15   2/8/13 2:12:21PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2