Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The Official Food/Recipe thread

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,559-1,350
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
After reading a few replies in another thread and a few props for suggesting it. I thought it would be kind of cool to see a thread like this. Have a thread where people can share their favorite foods, cheap foods, recipes and things of that nature.

For a good amountof people, especially to those still in college or living on your own for the first time, cheap food is essential. But also good food, and not tv dinners, easy mac, cereal or fast food etc.

The first essential to good cheap food, is flavoring, spices, herbs.

Kosher Salt- for one it enhances the flavor of the food better than table salt. Kosher also, dissolves quicker and tastes better than table salt.

Fresh Cracked Pepper- as the name suggests fresh is better than the pre ground pepper. Cracking the peppercorn releases oils from the pepper that will enhance the flavor of the food and make it more flavorful than the pre ground pepper. It also will take less to bring the flavor up than the pre ground.

Grill Seasoning- such as Montreal Steak Seasoning
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Chili Powder
Paprika
Oregano

Recipes

Easy Meatloaf - The split meat, beef and pork or veal give it a better flavor. It should be a 50/50 split.

Ground Beef
Ground veal or pork
Eggs - 1 egg per 1 pound of meat
1 box Stove Top Stuffing - Any flavor except Turkey
1 packet McCormick's Meatloaf seasoning
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Glaze -
1/4 cup - Ketchup
1/4 cup - BBQ sauce
1/4 cup - brown sugar

Turn oven to 350 degrees. Mix Glaze ingredients together and set aside. Mix all other ingredients together by hand, (if too dry add small amount of milk or cream) and form into a on a cookie sheet or loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Take pan on and spread glaze over top and down sides of the meat, return to oven for 10 min. Cool before slicing.

Easy Chicken Pot Pie -

1/2 pound (8 oz) - cooked, diced chicken
1 bag frozen vegetables
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can of Pillsbury Grand Biscuits
salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder

Turn oven to 350 degrees. In a pot add chicken, vegetables, small amount of oil. Cook until heated, take off heat, add soup, and spices, mix. Roll out each biscuit with rolling pin until flat, about the size of your hand. Place one rolled biscuit dough into muffin tin and press down until flat in muffin tin bottom so the dough forms a cup. Add chicken/vegetable mixture until filled. Fold over edges of dough so it forms a top over mixture. Repeat until all biscuits are used. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 min - 20 min or until biscuits are brown.

Post #1   2/6/13 1:00:43PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:
Also chicken and beef stock give great flavor to anything you are having. The can or cartons in the store are pretty cheap but they expire pretty quickly when you open them and dont use the entire amount.

I make my own from chicken bones or beef bones and freeze them in ice cube trays, then ziploc bag them. You can just add them to your food and they will freeze for a good amount.

Post #2   2/6/13 1:04:54PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Subscribed

I'll need this thread next year so any info will help.

Post #3   2/6/13 1:07:35PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Great thread idea.

I've been doing a lot of crock pot cooking lately since I'm usually too tired and lazy after work. Also a great way to get veggies into your diet. Just toss a bunch in there with some meat, and seasoning and proceed to cook all day.

My favorite recently was a chicken stew I did. Super easy to do and pretty tasty.

Ingredients

- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 sweet potatoes - cubed
- 1 white onion - coursely chopped
- 5-10 carrots - coursely chopped or to preference
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 packet of McCormick chicken crock pot seasoning(mostly salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, boullion, and potato starch to thicken)

Steps

- Cut chicken to your liking. I prefer it in about 2"x2" cubes. Makes for a good stew. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Peel sweet potatoes, and cube them. I did them about the same size as the chicken.
- Peel carrots and onion and chop them to your liking.
- Pour chicken stock and water into the crock pot and mix in the packet of seasoning.
- Drop the chicken and veggies together into the crock pot, and mix around until everything is at least covered in liquid.
- Set the crock pot to low and cook for 6-12 hours, or however long you're gone.

This isn't a perfected recipe by any means, but one that I made recently that I enjoyed.

Been trying to learn how to cook with a crock pot. It's easy most of the time, but there are times where it ends up too watery, and sometimes you have to account for how much water is in the veggies and fat is in the meat.

Anyway, if this ends up too watery, just mix some water and cornstarch together in a separate bowl and slowly introduce to the stew while stirring.

Post #4   2/6/13 1:33:40PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Subscribed

I'll need this thread next year so any info will help.

Duly noted!

Also another cheap, somewhat healthy meal I've been eating lately has been rice and eggs.

My girlfriend bought me a small 3 cup rice cooker at Christmas and I've used the shit out of it for a quick meal.

Ingredients
- Jasmine Rice(any rice will do, so if you prefer others, go for it!)
- Water
- 1 teaspoon Butter(or margerine)
- 1 teaspoon of Minced Garlic
- Salt(to taste)
- 2 eggs
- Soy Sauce
- Sriracha

Cooking
- My rice cooker uses its own measurements with a scoop, so I do 1 scoop of rice and 1 scoop of water. Just make sure you're doing equal parts rice and water. Pour both into the rice cooker.
- Drop the garlic and salt into the rice and stir around.
- Add the butter on top, close the lid, and start the cooker. Mine usually takes about 20 minutes and suggests that you wait another 5-10 to let it fluff. Up to you though.
- During the last 5 minutes or so of your rice cooking, heat up a skillet on medium-high heat with butter.
- Crack the eggs and put them into the hot pan. I let them cook almost until the whites are done, and then crack the yolk and scramble them in the pan. That's the way I've always loved my scrambled eggs, but do what you like.
- Take the eggs off the heat when they're almost done and let them finish off of the heat.
- Get your bowl, scoop the rice out of the cooker, mix in your eggs, and add some soy sauce and sriracha.

Super simple, not too bad for you aside from a little butter. A healthier play on fried rice.

Post #5   2/6/13 1:41:55PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,863-1,073
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Pepper Jack cheese melted into your ramen noodles with a little franks red hot....drain out all the broth been my favorite quick fix since i was 12 and only knew how to boil water.

BBQ wise i go with sweet baby rays and this spicy powder they sell at Lowes of all places.

I'm a big chicken wing guy...so throwing together different mixes always leads to new things.

Marinate steaks in Heinz 57 steak sauce...Its a clear bottle with yellow label...Adds that perfect tang and add in some onions and hot and banana peppers......pretty fucking awesome.I like spicy foods...Also i don't have exact mesaurments i go by eye and i'm assuming most men know how to grill foods...especially steaks.

Post #6   2/6/13 2:07:02PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Chips:
I cook a lot. I live alone and ain't a microwave dinner or fast food freak type of guy.

The chicken pot pie I will use sometime
I Do a Italian meatloaf which basically is do meatloaf what ever way u want but put marianara on top
And slice the meatloaf in half across. Put cheese provolone or swiss in between the two halves and press down the edges of the hamburger so its whole again
Cook it as. And inside when u slice it melted cheese comes out as a filling

Post #7   2/6/13 2:08:11PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,863-1,073
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Inside out burgers and badass too,

lay out your hamburger meat, make it as thick as you wish, then take a lid from like Mayonaise jar or whatever and push it down into your meat inside of the lid up..... then fill the lip up with cheese or bacon bits,peppers or whatever you want. Then cover it up with more meat to where the lip is covered and cook or grill it..

Post #8   2/6/13 2:41:59PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

I cook a lot. I live alone and ain't a microwave dinner or fast food freak type of guy.

The chicken pot pie I will use sometime
I Do a Italian meatloaf which basically is do meatloaf what ever way u want but put marianara on top
And slice the meatloaf in half across. Put cheese provolone or swiss in between the two halves and press down the edges of the hamburger so its whole again
Cook it as. And inside when u slice it melted cheese comes out as a filling

I do this also with the meatloaf except I'll get fresh mozzarella and slice the fresh balls and put half the meat into the loaf pan then add the slices of mozz and then put the other meat on top. Then bake it.

Post #9   2/6/13 3:31:14PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Taco night stand-by in my house. It's a total crowd pleaser, and setup is simple and fast.

Grab a handful of boneless chicken breasts and throw'em in the slow cooker. Toss a bunch of your favorite salsa on top (I usually put enough on to cover the top of all the chicken). Cook it on low for a good six hours (pretty hard to over cook it, so if you leave it sit longer, it's no big deal).

Once it's done shred up all the chicken and keep it in the juices and salsa that it was cooked in. Grab all the general taco paraphernalia (don't forget the guacamole!) and you're ready to rock.

My kids like it in scoops chips, we call them "taco bites."

Post #10   2/6/13 3:37:36PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by iwannabesedated

lay out your hamburger meat, make it as thick as you wish, then take a lid from like Mayonaise jar or whatever and push it down into your meat inside of the lid up..... then fill the lip up with cheese or bacon bits,peppers or whatever you want. Then cover it up with more meat to where the lip is covered and cook or grill it..

Inside out burgers are great. I'll cut up bacon into small pieces and use my burger press to shape the bacon into the width of the burger. Cook the bacon on the flattop until crisp then put it with cheese inside the burger and then grill.

Post #11   2/6/13 3:37:40PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Inside out burgers are great. I'll cut up bacon into small pieces and use my burger press to shape the bacon into the width of the burger. Cook the bacon on the flattop until crisp then put it with cheese inside the burger and then grill.

Pretty interesting tip I learned a while back when my brother was cooking for his friends at a cabin and was low on seasonings. He had hamburger meat and lays potato chips. He crushed the chips up and mixed em with the burger meat.

I've tried it a couple times and it's pretty good. Going to have to try it with the inside out method as well.

Another similar tip I got from my mom being in a similar situation growing up, was breading fish filets with cheez-its and frying it. Have yet to try it but sounds awesome.

Post #12   2/6/13 3:40:59PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by Shawn91111

Pretty interesting tip I learned a while back when my brother was cooking for his friends at a cabin and was low on seasonings. He had hamburger meat and lays potato chips. He crushed the chips up and mixed em with the burger meat.

I've tried it a couple times and it's pretty good. Going to have to try it with the inside out method as well.

Another similar tip I got from my mom being in a similar situation growing up, was breading fish filets with cheez-its and frying it. Have yet to try it but sounds awesome.

I love using Panko to bread fish or chicken. When my grandfather died we put in his coffin his favorite thing to eat....cheez-its

Post #13   2/6/13 3:53:46PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:
That's awesome, Shawn. Not a bad choice.

Panko is great, but sometimes it isn't the best breading for me. Sometimes it's hard to get it to stick to shrimp. Never had a problem with it and fish or chicken, but always falls of the shrimp even in a double breading.

What about tempura batter? You a fan of that? Love cooking a huge plate of tempura veggies and shrimp.

Post #14   2/6/13 4:01:05PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

That's awesome, Shawn. Not a bad choice.

Panko is great, but sometimes it isn't the best breading for me. Sometimes it's hard to get it to stick to shrimp. Never had a problem with it and fish or chicken, but always falls of the shrimp even in a double breading.

What about tempura batter? You a fan of that? Love cooking a huge plate of tempura veggies and shrimp.

The normal tempura batter is almost how I do fish and chips. The seltzer/club soda but with baking soda and egg. You can add beer to it as well.

You might be using the shrimp too fast after breading it. You can coat in flour, then egg and then Panko. And let it firm up in the fridge for an hour.

Post #15   2/6/13 4:12:22PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3