Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

White tells Edgar: Don't go back to 155lbs

Print  
Posted By Message

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,895-1,122
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
UFC president Dana White has urged Frankie Edgar to give up on any hopes he has of regaining the lightweight title after his latest defeat at featherweight at UFC 156.

Edgar claimed a unanimous decision over BJ Penn in 2010 to take his lightweight championship belt before losing it to Ben Henderson two years later at UFC 144. Henderson defeated Edgar once more at UFC 150, prompting 'The Answer' to step down to featherweight division.

But after his points defeat to reigning featherweight champion Jose Aldo in Las Vegas, White insisted Edgar would not be stepping back up to the 155lb flyweight division.

LINK

Post #1   2/6/13 12:42:03PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,938-1,034
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I agree with Dana, I think Edgar has a plethora of options left most fighters don't that don't involve the lightweight division. For starters I think he should stick to featherweight, 3 solid wins should earn him a title shot. The Aldo fight was close so a rematch can deff be promoted & he can beat almost everyone at 145 lbs. & if he loses to Aldo again then he can go down to bantamweight for a run there. Plus I think its best he stays at 145 till the Cruz/Barraro situation resolves itself, no reason to resort to that career move & there isn't even a clear champ in the division.

Post #2   2/6/13 3:35:14PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,480-857
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

I agree with Dana, I think Edgar has a plethora of options left most fighters don't that don't involve the lightweight division. For starters I think he should stick to featherweight, 3 solid wins should earn him a title shot. The Aldo fight was close so a rematch can deff be promoted & he can beat almost everyone at 145 lbs. & if he loses to Aldo again then he can go down to bantamweight for a run there. Plus I think its best he stays at 145 till the Cruz/Barraro situation resolves itself, no reason to resort to that career move & there isn't even a clear champ in the division.

That sounds like the same advice Kenny Florian got.

Post #3   2/6/13 4:32:27PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
I like Edgar at 155. His wrestling makes up for his lack of size and he retains his best advantage which is speed. I'd rather he try 135 than fight at 145 again. Next fight anyway.

Post #4   2/6/13 4:46:47PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,938-1,034
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by quezocrema0032

That sounds like the same advice Kenny Florian got.

I don't like the comparison between Edgar & Florian. Edgar won & defended a world title on several occasions & only because of some tough luck losses finally has the freedom to experiment with weight classes he can reasonably make. Florian on the other hand killed his body to drop weight after coming up short in all his big fights. Edgar & Florian not really the same thing. Can't fault Edgar for exploring the "cut serious weight" option, fighters have been doing the same thing at his expense for the past for years. Hes owed that much, just ask Gray & Bendo.

Post #5   2/6/13 6:35:20PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,843-1,120
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
He did better against Benson then he did against Aldo.

Dana shouldn't be telling fighters what weight classes they should be fighting in.

Post #6   2/7/13 12:12:09AM