Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez eyes summer return, won't fight teammate Daniel Cormier

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Cain Velasquez shocked most of the MMA world at UFC 155 when he dominated Junior dos Santos for 25 minutes to reclaim the UFC Heavyweight title. After rocking dos Santos with a big right hand in the first round, Velasquez never relented and took back the belt he lost over a year before.

Saturday night at UFC 156, Antonio Silva followed Velasquez's lead by pulling off a huge upset over Alistair Overeem. After giving up the first two rounds to the former K-1 HW GP champion, Bigfoot teed off on The Reem with a series of brutal blows that even had referee Herb Dean cringing before he stopped the fight. At the same time he put down Overeem, Silva squashed the UFC's plans for the next Heavyweight contender.

With his next contender in question, Cain talked to UFC Tonight about when he wants to return and who he definitely won't fight:

I was thinking this summer. But I would not fight [Daniel Cormier]. He's my coach, teammate and my friend.

LINK

Post #1   2/6/13 12:19:19PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:
Who the hell is he going to fight? Werdum already has a fight booked and a TUF gig lined up, Overeem just got ktfo and Bigfoot was completely dominated by Cain less than a year ago...

If I had to guess it would be the Struve/Hunt winner. I don't know if you can really sell that fight though.

Maybe JDS/Cain III. I don't like that option at all though.

Last edited 2/6/13 12:23PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   2/6/13 12:22:37PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Frank mir

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   2/6/13 12:42:09PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Who the hell is he going to fight? Werdum already has a fight booked and a TUF gig lined up, Overeem just got ktfo and Bigfoot was completely dominated by Cain less than a year ago...

If I had to guess it would be the Struve/Hunt winner. I don't know if you can really sell that fight though.

Maybe JDS/Cain III. I don't like that option at all though.

Stuve would be on a 5 fight win streak (can knock you out or sub you, tallest fighter in UFC history, 13 more fights and same age as Jon Jones, etc) or Hunt would be on a 4 fight win streak (beat prime Cro Cop and Wanderlei, best chin in MMA, world class striker, career resurgence, etc). There are ways to promote either guy, both have enough tape for highlight clips of knockdowns or submissions. I'm sure the PR guys would be able to piece something together, and Nicktheface2 will come up with something much better

Having a Bigfoot rematch is not much different than Cain/JDS II, except Bigfoot has 2 KOs in between fights, one most notably vs Overeem.

It's nice to see a champion want to fight every few months rather than wait 8+ for a fight. They can put the Bigfoot fight right around Werdum/Nog. If Hunt/Struve winner comes out unharmed, the same timeframe works. Also around this time, Mir/Cormier would have happened (Mir wins hes back in the mix, Cormier wins he has other contenders to fight or make the drop to LHW) and hopefully Barnett has a fight too. Roy Nelson beating Kongo puts him a win or 2 away from being a top contender as well.

Basically this time frame can work out where the HW title can be fought for 2 more times this year and not lose a whole line of contenders

Last edited 2/6/13 12:48PM server time by bubbles

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #4   2/6/13 12:46:48PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
I would love to see Hunt destroy Struve quickly and get a title shot in either June or July. I don't give him too much of a chance to beat Cain but after all he's been through, it would be awesome to see him in a title fight.

Post #5   2/6/13 12:47:27PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,878-1,108
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Deleted my post as it was a duplicate

Post #6   2/6/13 1:35:34PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
no surprise about him not fighting DC. when are people going to give that shit up.

Last edited 2/6/13 11:49PM server time by tcunningham

Post #7   2/6/13 11:49:03PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
They need to come up with a way to get Barnett signed then.

Post #8   2/7/13 2:00:28AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:
Just have some rando from LHW move up to fight Cain, duh. That is clearly the most legit way to earn a title shot these days. If Diabate wins, he should move up he's tall.

Hopefully Mir wins against DC, or we're in for a real lame title fight.

Post #9   2/7/13 2:49:59PM