Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why Top MMA News Says: ‘The Score Is No More’

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
This past week, Top MMA News broke the very unfortunate news that one of Canada’s top MMA promotions was closing their doors – The Score Fighting Series was ceasing operations. If you missed the news, you can read it HERE.

As expected, the news spread rapidly and was met with dismay by the Canadian MMA community. Losing a show of this caliber negatively affects fans, fighters, venues, the promotion’s staff, gyms, the entire sport of MMA. Hell, losing a promotion that was a pipeline for great Canadian fighters in great Canadian markets even negatively impacts the UFC. Jesse Ronson and Josh Hill would not be on the UFC’s radar, if it was not for the Score putting on events.

The following day, The Score issued a press release to refute the Top MMA News story. You can read it HERE. It basically said that The Score or the Trustee released some individuals, but no decision was made on Score Fighting Inc. Immediately, fans held their breath and crossed their fingers hoping it was true and web sites that copied our previous story, quickly removed their version and instead stated that the Score was alive and kicking because no decision had been made.

Well, sadly, that is not true. The Score Fighting Series is no more.

Link

Post #1   2/4/13 12:55:12AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:504-307
Chips:
Bjorn better not be wastin' anytime!

Get Bellator into Canada!

Post #2   2/4/13 3:45:10AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
Bellators been to Canada a few times already

Post #3   2/4/13 6:08:06AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by BeeR

I went to Bellator 67 in Rama Ontario

Post #4   2/4/13 10:39:48AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:504-307
Chips:

Posted by BeeR

MY Mistake, but they should get more show's in Canada! Gold mine !

Post #5   2/4/13 12:18:45PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 37-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,532-977
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Boooooo! Terrible news! I loved the Score fighting series! It was the place where all the best Canadian figures cut there chops!!! So butt hurt

Post #6   2/4/13 1:53:53PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
here is my theory: Rogers recently bought out The Score. Rogers has an exclusive deal with the UFC to televise it's programming on Sportsnet (PPV prelims, entire free events, TUF, UFC Countdown, etc). This might have been a conflict of interest and one had to go...guess who was going to get the short end of the stick?

This sucks because a) it was a great smaller promotion that housed many good up-and-comers along with some veterans b) they would be fighting at a venue 15 minutes from my house

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   2/4/13 6:54:25PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

here is my theory: Rogers recently bought out The Score. Rogers has an exclusive deal with the UFC to televise it's programming on Sportsnet (PPV prelims, entire free events, TUF, UFC Countdown, etc). This might have been a conflict of interest and one had to go...guess who was going to get the short end of the stick?

This sucks because a) it was a great smaller promotion that housed many good up-and-comers along with some veterans b) they would be fighting at a venue 15 minutes from my house

If that were the case, wouldn't The Score also be dumping Bellator?

Even though Rogers owns both companies, I think the deal the UFC has is with Rogers Sportsnet. Deals signed with The Score would be viewed separately.

I think Score fighting series was just not making enough money to continue.

Post #8   2/4/13 7:44:28PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:
Damn. The Score Fighting Series always put on great shows. That's where guys like Jordan Mein and Josh Hill really got their name out there. I hope a lot of their stars get signed to a big organization soon. I want to see Jesse Ronson, John Fraser, Rick Glenn, Alex Ricci, Elias Theodorou and Josh Hill signed somewhere asap.

Post #9   2/4/13 9:11:13PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Even though Rogers owns both companies, I think the deal the UFC has is with Rogers Sportsnet. Deals signed with The Score would be viewed separately.

I don't think the have aired any Bellator in the new year, have they? If so I haven't noticed, but Spike is available in a lot of households unlike MTV2.

Would those two be viewed separately once Rogers puts the axe to The Score? I'm almost positive they will rebrand it

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #10   2/4/13 11:06:54PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by FlashyG

I don't think the have aired any Bellator in the new year, have they? If so I haven't noticed, but Spike is available in a lot of households unlike MTV2.

Would those two be viewed separately once Rogers puts the axe to The Score? I'm almost positive they will rebrand it

I honestly have no idea, I rarely watch the score other than to occasionally get score from their constantly running ticker.

I thought they aired Bellator a couple days after the events, but I haven't noticed if they still do now that it's on SPIKE.

I can't imagine the UFC would have a problem with the Score Fighting Series though, its not like they are really a competitor to them, they have to get their talent from somewhere and a pipeline from Canada definitely wouldn't hurt them.

Post #11   2/4/13 11:35:26PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
I tweeted Showdown Joe about this last night, no response yet. I hope he talks about it on his radio show Thursday night.

like I said, it was just a theory. There could be many other reasons for it that are completely different from my take, I was just throwing the idea out there

Post #12   2/5/13 11:12:07AM