Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

who won Aldo or Edgar ?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Posted by Adam_Buru

Posted by sparky

In close contested rounds the champ should get the edge just my opinion.

I actually agree with you there.

I never understood that point of view. Shouldn't it be based on some criteria that is relevant to the fight itself? The mysterious "edge" described here sounds so subjective.

It should be a 10-10 round IMO

Post #16   2/3/13 3:44:10PM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
Aldo clearly won 3 rounds minimal.

Also The Reem got KTFO !!!!!!!

Post #17   2/3/13 4:04:00PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:524-367
Chips:
aldo won the fight. i gave him rounds 1 2 & 3. edgar won the 4th and 5th. i think the closest and toughest round to call was the 3rd.

Post #18   2/3/13 4:09:26PM   

Adam_Buru

MMA Regular

Adam_Buru Avatar

Career:1,320-921
Camp: Ninja Jiu Jitsu
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Posted by Adam_Buru

Posted by sparky

I never understood that point of view. Shouldn't it be based on some criteria that is relevant to the fight itself? The mysterious "edge" described here sounds so subjective.

It's just that I feel you have to do more if you want to dethrone a champion. I'm talking about really, really close rounds. I think to be a champion, you should beat a champion relatively decisively.

But yeah, that's just my opinion, like Sparky said.

Post #19   2/3/13 5:21:21PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
48-47 Aldo

Post #20   2/3/13 5:50:56PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Adam_Buru

Posted by scoozna

Posted by Adam_Buru

Posted by sparky

It's just that I feel you have to do more if you want to dethrone a champion. I'm talking about really, really close rounds. I think to be a champion, you should beat a champion relatively decisively.

But yeah, that's just my opinion, like Sparky said.

Really really close rounds should be 10-10. If no one wins a round its a drawn round

Post #21   2/3/13 7:08:34PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,706-1,712
Chips:
I watched closely and to be hones I gave the first three rounds to Aldo and the last two to Edger. I think this is just how Edger fights, we have seen it a number of times and I can't score to very very short takedowns over getting outstruck for over three minutes...and I am a wrestler at heart.

Post #22   2/3/13 8:53:07PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,075-626
Chips:
I had it 2 to 2 going into the 5th...then I passed out and woke up during the reairing of Bigfeets vs Overeem

Post #23   2/4/13 10:17:14AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,923-1,097
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I had it 4-1 for Aldo. The majority of the fight was done on the feet, therefore the most important criterion was effective striking.

Rounds 1 and 2 were Aldo's. Aldo dominated Frankie. Aldo was constantly a step ahead of Edgar, and Edgar's game was frustrated by fighting someone that much faster than him. Aldo's got a pretty nifty jab these days, and combined it with some nice leg/body kicks. In the past, Aldo has shown a penchant for explosive offense, so it was interesting to see him rely almost exclusively on a jab/counter style. Edgar gamely engaged, but was getting damaged without any effective offense of his own.

Halfway through the 3rd, it became obvious that Aldo was slowing down, while Edgar wasn't. The end of Aldo's absolute dominance kind of skewed the way the fight felt because Edgar keeping it competitive felt more like he was winning. Aldo's output slowed, but he still landed the more effective offense. Edgar' was now landing strikes as well, but nothing as effective as the the counters and front face kicks that Aldo was landing.

The 4th round was Edgar's. Edgar was landing consistently all round, while Aldo's output had slowed to a crawl. Many of Aldo's strikes were thrown without much power behind them. Most of the strikes he did land were not effective.

Lot's of people give the fifth to Edgar, but I don't see it that way and would encourage people to watch the round again.. Edgar definitely landed more strikes, but the strikes Aldo landed in the fifth were more effective than what Edgar was doing. Aldo's counters had lost their power, but he still landed all the powerful shots. When talking about "effective" striking, it is important to consider the effect of the strike. Nothing that Edgar landed in the fifth had any effect on Aldo. Aldo landed some stout shots in the fifth, including a barely off-the-cage superman punch.

This isn't the first time Aldo's slowed down, and when he does it all of a sudden makes it feel like the momentum changes. I think that kind of momentum change has its place in scoring, either in aggression or octagon control. But when a fight is predominantly striking, the prime factor is effective striking. "Effective" does not describe the amount of strikes, but rather the total impact/result of the strikes. I never saw Edgar land anything that I thought had much effect. Of course, all the strikes he landed together did have some effect. But except for round 4, I never thought it outweighed the effect of what Aldo was landing.

Post #24   2/4/13 1:43:36PM   

TheShaman

MMA Regular

TheShaman Avatar

Career:531-361
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Concerning effectiveness, I think an effect is stun, rock, knockdown, or knock out.

I don't think effectiveness should be judged by the amount of blood, since fighters bleed at different rates, but rather the effect that it has on a fighter's actions/abilities.

However, I do think there is a difference among individual strikes. As an example of comparison, a little pitter patter shot can be worth 1 point, a good hard clean shot that doesn't effect an opponent's actions can be worth 5 points, and a shot that has an actual effect on an opponent's actions (as stated in the first sentence) can be worth 10 points... points merely being a way to compare strikes in this example

I personally believe a "significant strike" is only the second and third category from the above example, and the first category should only be considered in the total strikes.

I am weary to assess the fight without seeing it, but the clips that I have seen didn't show either fighter being effected by any shot, so it would seem that neither fighter was really effective other than to control the fight. However some significant strikes of the second category were landed.

I am still on the fence about whether or not damage should be considered in judging when the actual strikes are so much more definitive than how quickly an individual fighter's skin may bleed. If fights were judged as a whole instead of round by round, damage might make more sense.

A big reason for this belief is that a fighter can be badly "damaged" and still be more effective, or even finish their opponent. I think as long as it does not effect their performance, it should not count against them other than whether or not it was a significant strike that caused the damage.

Post #25   2/4/13 3:53:01PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Edgar won rounds 3-5. Round 3 can be argued either way but I gave it to Edgar. No way a superman jab gave Aldo round 5

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #26   2/4/13 4:32:57PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by TheShaman

Metrics has Edgar landing more strikes in 3,4,5, but Aldo landed more head shots in all but one round... so it's total strikes vs head strikes

that was good enough for Condit to "beat" Diaz

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #27   2/4/13 4:35:39PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,418-775
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I had it 4-1 Aldo.

Edgar only winning the 4th round. If you listen to Rogan you would think Frankie was winning. But Aldo use of the jab and counters was clearly winning him the fight. It was clear after the 3rd most of Edgar's punches didn't have much on them and Aldo's were still having a clear affect on Frankie. Lot of people like Edgar because he is a tough fighter but truth is he took a beating and because he is tough was able to keep it kind of competitive. But keeping it kind of competitive doesn't mean he was even close to winning.

Post #28   2/5/13 12:52:16AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2