Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 156 results & analysis - Aldo edges Edgar

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Link

Another 25-minute title fight for Frankie Edgar? Who'd have thunk it?

But for the third straight time, he came out on the short end of a decision, this time in a new division, falling to featherweight champion Jose Aldo in an entertaining battle. Aldo won with scores of 49-46, 49-46 and 48-47.

Last edited 2/3/13 1:20AM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/3/13 1:03:00AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
Good card overall, co-main event disappointing but lots of thrills and one major upset. Onward!

Jose Aldo over Frankie Edgar, 5R decision - Once more, Frankie Edgar takes a ton of damage but grunts through it and lands enough in volume to make a championship fight interesting. I'm not sure I agree with the 49-46 scorecards, but I do feel Aldo won the fight. Edgar landed some nice shots and got a couple takedowns, for sure; the big thing for me is that Aldo was in charge most of the time, that he did an excellent job in the first 3 rounds of evading punches and landing jabs of his own, and he laid waste to Edgar's face and legs. I also liked his flying knees. Most didn't land solidly, but they were timed very well and dissuaded Edgar from too many takedown attempts.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira over Rashad Evans, 3R split decision - This happens sometimes between two gifted, marquee guys who neutralize each other. I think the correct decision was made, as Nogueira was the aggressor with the edge in striking stats along with a stout base that withstood most of Rashad's takedown attempts. These guys are both talents, but if nothing else this fight showed they can't just go out and wing it.

Antonio Silva over Alistair Overeem, TKO at 0:25 of R3 - What a comeback. For most of 2 rounds, it was The Reem Show. While Silva wasn't getting rocked, he was getting dominated both on the ground and on the feet. Things turned around slightly towards the end of R2, as he landed a nice right punch and a knee from the clinch that certainly got Overeem's attention. In R3, Silva came out strong and aggressive, and he exploited one of the few weaknesses that Alistair has (one that he shares with his brother, Valentijn). Once he starts eating hard punches and pressure, he can crumble and fold. Part of it is that he's fighting against fellow heavies, but he's rarely shown an abundance of resilience. Tonight, after getting rocked, his return strikes were both low impact and inaccurate, and he basically stood against the cage waiting to get hit. I think this sets up the rubber match that JDS wants (and I think he deserves it), because while Silva is a credible heavyweight, Cain drank his milkshake with the quickness. I wouldn't object overmuch to a Silva / JDS eliminator overmuch, right; it's that I think a healthy JDS takes it 9 times out of 10.

Demian Maia over Jon Fitch, 3R decision - How many times are we gonna hear, "Fitch got Fitch'd"? No shame at all, as Maia was already suffocating rabbits at 185 before dropping to WW. I think among all things I was impressed with his takedowns. Fitch is a hard guy to shoot in on, and Maia's trips showed why he's so much better than your average BJJ black belt. As far as grappling's concerned, it's one of the finest offensive and defensive performances I've ever seen.

Joseph Benavidez over Ian McCall via 3R decision - Good matchup for each guy, with Benavidez taking the first and third rounds through superior movement and distance control. He was great out of the clinch, great at closing the distance, and great at mixing it up with leg kicks. His takedown defense was also on point, with the only significant amount of time on the ground through a bit of a slip while shooting in for his own single leg. I think McCall still has a place in the UFC, but he looks to need either an improved gameplan for matches or some new wrinkles to his overall game (through speed, clinch takedowns, point-based strikes like jabs and leg kicks, and so on).

Evan Dunham over Gleison Tibau, 3R split decision - Finally, Dunham gets the right side of a contentious split. HIs superior cardio and clean standup (especially that jab) were the keys here, and his excellent chin kept him standing against the bombs that Tibau did land. Gleison continues to be one of the toughest 155ers to take down, stuffing all of Dunham's attempts, but his reported high weight coming into the cut really cost him here.

Tyron Woodley over Jay Hieron, KO at 0:36 of R1 - Now, see, this is the kind of striking I've wanted to see from Woodley for a long, long time. He was very creative in his earlier Strikeforce fights, only later relying on his suffocating (but boring) top game as he got closer to the belt. He's a real physical specimen, and that charging Superman feint into an overhand right was brilliant. Great guy to use it on as well, as Hieron's a respected veteran who's not quite enough to beat the top welterweights.

Bobby Green over Jacob Volkmann, submission at 4:25 of R3 - Really solid ground battle here, with athleticism and cardio winning out over pure technique and baffling ref standups. Well, there was only one really bad standup, midway through R2 to Volkmann's benefit, but it was egregiously mistaken by Kim Winslow. I heard insufficient warnings before the standup, and frankly, Volkmann was getting tooled while on the bottom. Big turnaround from R1 in which Volkmann was a python from Green's back. Damage and pressure started to affect his cardio late in R2, and Green turned it on in R3 to win his debut. I don't think he's a world-beater, but it's clear he's got some game.

Isaac Vallie-Flagg over Yves Edwards, 3R split decision - Nice entertaining scrap, with Isaac's aggression and volume winning out over Edwards' counters and shoulder rolling defense. I gotta say, each guy showed a lot of toughness here. I actually expected Edwards to take advantage, as he's the longer and smoother striker. Isaac's an animal, though, never going away and getting in close to compensate for that more compact frame and stiffer movement. If Yves made a mistake anywhere, I feel it was in the Thai clinch. For that to work, you really need either the distance to wind up the knees, or the strength to torque your opponent out from tight spots and create that distance. Isaac did a wonderful job of staying in close, often doing damage with hooks to the body and uppercuts.

Dustin Kimura over Chico Camus, submission at 1:50 of R3 - And these guys came out with something to prove after Rivera/Figueroa, only showing more on the ground as opposed to the standup. While Kimura really needs to work on coming in at the correct weight, it didn't seem to give him an overwhelming strength advantage. Nah, while Camus often defended well and acquitted himself as the superior striker, his insistence upon the bodylock while he was on top was ultimately his downfall. Never, ever, ever post one's arms on the ground against a BJJ stud, and he paid for it here.

Francisco Rivera over Edwin Figueroa, TKO at 4:20 of R2 - Fantastic start to the card, as expected. Both guys bring it with their hands and their toughness, with Rivera showing a bit cleaner technique and superior cardio. I don't think he was quite as sharp as he was against Delorme, but this showed courage through adversity and the results of good training. When guys get hurt, their brains flip a switch over to pure instinct, and what you see is what they know how to do automatically. If a fighter defends well and fires back smartly, they've put in the hours at the gym.

Last edited 2/3/13 1:05AM server time by isk
4 total post edits

Post #2   2/3/13 1:04:06AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So many upsets

Post #3   2/3/13 1:06:00AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I cant decide its 50/50 fighter of the night. Aldo or maia. Im going with maia. I never saw that coming.

Post #4   2/3/13 1:13:32AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by postman

I cant decide its 50/50 fighter of the night. Aldo or maia. Im going with maia. I never saw that coming.

I am going with Bobby Green. I really enjoyed watching him finish Volkman and keep him from running his mouth.

Post #5   2/3/13 1:15:55AM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

So many upsets

Crazy

Post #6   2/3/13 1:16:04AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by postman

I am going with Bobby Green. I really enjoyed watching him finish Volkman and keep him from running his mouth.

im drunk I forgot about big foot. Who saw that???? As much as I like the Reem he def was off the gas.

Post #7   2/3/13 1:18:20AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by ncordless

Posted by postman

im drunk I forgot about big foot. Who saw that???? As much as I like the Reem he def was off the gas.

Woodley was awfully impressive as well

Post #8   2/3/13 1:22:54AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
I was screaming like an idiot during the Bigfoot finish. Absolutely stunning, 47 car pileup of a derailed hype train.

And yeah, while the Woodley KO made much less of an impact on the division's next title shot, it was still an incredible display of athleticism and violence.

Last edited 2/3/13 1:25AM server time by isk

Post #9   2/3/13 1:23:35AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:
Really a great fight card one that bad me shaking my head all night. And yes woodley looked nice. The back stage money that will ne handed out should be up there with tops all time. This event was something special. Best sporting event that will take place thid weekend.

Post #10   2/3/13 1:27:41AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by postman

i agree bobby green was very impressive.

pretty sure that aldo v edgar will get the fotn though.

Post #11   2/3/13 1:27:43AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Dana just said that Pettis wants Aldo. That's an interesting fight for realz.

Post #12   2/3/13 1:47:09AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by isk

I was screaming like an idiot during the Bigfoot finish. Absolutely stunning, 47 car pileup of a derailed hype train.

And yeah, while the Woodley KO made much less of an impact on the division's next title shot, it was still an incredible display of athleticism and violence.

I was up out of my seat for both those KO's. Fighter of the night goes to Bigfoot for the sick comeback

Post #13   2/3/13 5:02:58AM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:986-629
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
this topic spoils the ending of the fight for people who didnt want to know who won

Post #14   2/3/13 6:43:25AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
A lot of brazilians at the arena. Biggest cheering was when Bigfoot dropped reem. The whole arena shaked with people screaming

Post #15   2/3/13 9:33:53AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2