Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Evans ahead of Weidman to become next MW contender

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I'm shocked. I feel like for once I'm not the only one saying Weidman should have to fight someone else. Now I can also understand the Weidman argument from the standpoint of "Who else should get the fight?" Other than that though I think Rashad's competition should absolutely put him in front of a guy who has one solid win in the UFC. The weight class argument is valid but Silva and Evans walk around at nearly the same weight. Anderson just cuts more. I'll grant you that Rashad has more muscle on his frame than Silva but their natural weights are very close. I've read that Rashad gets up to around 230 and Anderson around 220-225.

I can't see how this situation is even remotely similar to the situation at WW. Hendricks has run through incredibly tough competition and his fight with Kos despite being close was not a boring fight at all. Weidman has ONE good win. Literally ONE. He cut weight on short notice to fight Maia I know but that doesn't change the fact that the fight was horrendous and that he has ONE solid, impressive win. Hendricks has beaten 3 of the top 5 guys in the division in his last 3 fights. There is no comparison there at all IMO.

All that said Weidman could very well be the guy to get by silva, maybe even the guy who could put him on his ass and beat him up, but I would much rather see Rashad fight Anderson. Rashad deserves that level of competition to a much greater extent than Weidman does. The guy has two loses and he's fought a who's who of competition including the other guy who's considered the best fighter in the world by most. I like the fight if they can make it happen and if Rashad can cut the weight.

Now that I've gone on this rant watch Rashad get pummeled by little nog tomorrow and make me eat my words.

Post #31   2/1/13 12:02:39PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by jjeans

Posted by decken

Just remember it is not about who deserves a title shot it is about who will make the most money for the UFC. Weidman does not have the name recognition yet

This. Why put Weidman/Silva together when Evans/Silva would sell tonnes. With Sonnen and Diaz getting title fights why are people getting butthurt when 2 of the biggest pvp draws are fighting. This is just another fight where it's not a matter of "deserving" it's a matter of "marketing"

1. Because one is a mw, the other is not.
2. Because $$$$ does not equate to integrity
3. PPV draw matters to the UFC and those fighters who will get a cut, not the legitimacy of the sport
4. If all we are concerned with is marketing, then we can just assume under Dana's little regime here, we should have virtually no qualms with following the exact same path that boxing did.
5. If the goal is to make this "super" fight, why not just at a catchweight instead?

This whole Weidman name recognition crap is getting incredibly trite and old. How does that argument even hold weight when Ronda is headlining a card against a virtual unknown, despite neither having a fight in the UFC yet? Where's the name recognition there?

As much as I want this fight to happen, I want the process to at least not look like a total joke.

Weidmans UFC wins
Mark Munoz
Demian Maia
Tom Lawlor
Jesse Bongfeldt
Alessio Sakara
Why does Weidman not have to fight Sonnen, Bisping, Belfort?

Evans is going down in weight after fighting some of the best at 205.

Post #32   2/1/13 12:22:36PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,840-896
Chips:
Chael, a MW, fighting for the LHW belt with no LHW fights. Rashad, a LHW, fighting for the MW belt with no MW fights. Seems legit.

Why not just merge the divisions if the 20 pound difference is so irrelevant?

I would really love to see a minimum 2 fights after a weight class change before a fighter is allowed a title shot. Otherwise, you screw over guys who have been working at it for years, and you undermine the sport.

Post #33   2/1/13 1:12:05PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
Seems like MMA fans are becoming what they used to hate more than anything, pro wrestling fans. Dana's making boxing promoters look good now.

Post #34   2/1/13 1:41:01PM   

Travesty145

MMA Regular

Travesty145 Avatar

Career:675-411
Chips:
rashad vs weidman would be a really good fight. js

Post #35   2/1/13 2:37:19PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Travesty145

rashad vs weidman would be a really good fight. js

True

Post #36   2/1/13 2:55:06PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by airkerma

Posted by jjeans

Posted by decken

Just remember it is not about who deserves a title shot it is about who will make the most money for the UFC. Weidman does not have the name recognition yet

This. Why put Weidman/Silva together when Evans/Silva would sell tonnes. With Sonnen and Diaz getting title fights why are people getting butthurt when 2 of the biggest pvp draws are fighting. This is just another fight where it's not a matter of "deserving" it's a matter of "marketing"

3. PPV draw matters to the UFC and those fighters who will get a cut, not the legitimacy of the sport
4. If all we are concerned with is marketing, then we can just assume under Dana's little regime here, we should have virtually no qualms with following the exact same path that boxing did.
5. If the goal is to make this "super" fight, why not just at a catchweight instead?

This whole Weidman name recognition crap is getting incredibly trite and old. How does that argument even hold weight when Ronda is headlining a card against a virtual unknown, despite neither having a fight in the UFC yet? Where's the name recognition there?

As much as I want this fight to happen, I want the process to at least not look like a total joke.

Weidmans UFC wins
Mark Munoz
Demian Maia
Tom Lawlor
Jesse Bongfeldt
Alessio Sakara

Sonnen vacated MW, Bisping just lost, and a fight with Belfort wouldn't be a bad idea, but the fact remains that should a MW title fight occur, it should be against the top MW contender, regardless of Evan's wins at LHW. Weidman is currently the best option, but Vitor would be a fine contender as well. Evans should show that he can at least beat a MW at MW before he gets a title shot.

Post #37   2/1/13 2:58:28PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
Rashad is p4p better on paper than anyone in the whole MW division besides Anderson. Frankie is also p4p better than any FW contender (by a lot too). So I think those are fair choices for title fights.

There's no rule that says you have to win in a certain weight class to be eligible to fight for that title. Also, Rashad vs Anderson could do around 6-700K PPVs instead of the 350k that Weidman-Silva would do.

It's fair in my opinion.

The real complaint should be Chael fighting Jones seeing as Chael is not as good as most top 10 LHWs.

Post #38   2/2/13 8:02:01AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Silva should be fighting Cung le.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #39   2/2/13 9:43:59AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Silva should be fighting Cung le.

Makes more sense than Rashad or Wellman

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #40   2/2/13 9:44:59AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

Posted by airkerma

Posted by jjeans

Posted by decken

Weidmans UFC wins
Mark Munoz
Demian Maia
Tom Lawlor
Jesse Bongfeldt
Alessio Sakara

Sonnen vacated MW, Bisping just lost, and a fight with Belfort wouldn't be a bad idea, but the fact remains that should a MW title fight occur, it should be against the top MW contender, regardless of Evan's wins at LHW. Weidman is currently the best option, but Vitor would be a fine contender as well. Evans should show that he can at least beat a MW at MW before he gets a title shot.

What would make any of us think that he wouldn't be able to beat a middle weight? Hes a small LHW and has done very well. I'm kinda playing the devils advocate role here as I understand everyone wanting him to fight at 85 first I get it. I just don't see the need and I don't think Weidman has done enough at 85 to warrent a title shot. I understand that the way it is at the moment he is the 85er who has done the most with out a loss in his last fight or not named Vitor. But he hasn't earned a shot by any means.

Post #41   2/2/13 12:38:27PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

Posted by airkerma

Posted by jjeans

Posted by decken

Weidmans UFC wins
Mark Munoz
Demian Maia
Tom Lawlor
Jesse Bongfeldt
Alessio Sakara

What would make any of us think that he wouldn't be able to beat a middle weight? Hes a small LHW and has done very well. I'm kinda playing the devils advocate role here as I understand everyone wanting him to fight at 85 first I get it. I just don't see the need and I don't think Weidman has done enough at 85 to warrent a title shot. I understand that the way it is at the moment he is the 85er who has done the most with out a loss in his last fight or not named Vitor. But he hasn't earned a shot by any means.

then we will agree to disagree, as I think weidman has done worlds more to earn the shot than rashad. I'm tired of dana throwing ideas at a wall and seeing which one sticks the best, instead of following a process that would add legitamacy as opposed to favoritism and a blatant cash grab.

Post #42   2/2/13 2:40:24PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I like this fight way more than Weidman. Rashad has a real good chance of taking this fight, I'm excited for it.

Post #43   2/2/13 3:37:05PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I like this fight way more than Weidman. Rashad has a real good chance of taking this fight, I'm excited for it.

Haha someone didn't give Rogerio much credit.

Post #44   2/8/13 10:42:27AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3