Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

2008 Gold medal Olympian Henry Cejudo coming to MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Henry Cejudo a 125 pounder who won the men's freestyle wrestling gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympics has announced he's becoming a mixed martial artist.

Link

Post #1   1/30/13 6:22:30PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,916-927
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
I watched a couple of his matches in 2008. That guy is phenomenal. This is very exciting.

Post #2   1/30/13 10:00:53PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Please, Mr. Wrestler, learn BJJ. Please.

Post #3   1/30/13 10:03:41PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

and become Ben Askren lite?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #4   1/30/13 10:20:28PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
He didn't look nearly as good in the 2012 qualifiers.

Post #5   1/31/13 9:40:58AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,052-611
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I might be in the minority, but I am a fan of the wrestlers in MMA. Finally they have a professional sport to excel at. Instead of getting on the wrestlers to learn striking and BJJ, maybe the strikers and BJJ practitioners should work on their wrestling. It is arguably the most dominant discipline in my opinion and if you could only learn one, I would pick wrestling.

Post #6   1/31/13 9:47:29AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

I might be in the minority, but I am a fan of the wrestlers in MMA. Finally they have a professional sport to excel at. Instead of getting on the wrestlers to learn striking and BJJ, maybe the strikers and BJJ practitioners should work on their wrestling. It is arguably the most dominant discipline in my opinion and if you could only learn one, I would pick wrestling.

If you could only learn one it has been proven time and time again that BJJ is the ONE to learn. If you only know wrestling and know nothing about subs your going to go to sleep.

Post #7   1/31/13 10:13:12AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Dberntson

If you could only learn one it has been proven time and time again that BJJ is the ONE to learn. If you only know wrestling and know nothing about subs your going to go to sleep.

i feel like wrestling is the better base than BJJ. we have seen high caliber wrestlers shutdown high caliber BJJ guys without ever throwing a single sub attempt. i think a high caliber wrestler can pickup some sub defense pretty quick but rarely do you see a high caliber BJJ guy pickup wrestling as fast. i do agree that BJJ is way up there on the list of things to be proficient at, the few times we have see A. silva lose is from submissions. i dont disagree with you, i just think that there is more than one solid base to start with, not just BJJ

Post #8   1/31/13 1:33:14PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by State_Champ

and become Ben Askren lite?

Hopefully he would not only learn BJJ, but embrace it in practice by submitting people. This is something I don't see Askren do very often.

That said, "Ben Askren lite" is alright with me too. I like watching Askren in scrambles and when he's performing takedowns.

Last edited 1/31/13 2:01PM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   1/31/13 2:00:32PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,556-1,465
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Dberntson

I have to disagree. Guys like Askren, Woodley, and even Brock don't have comparably accomplished counterparts when it comes to strictly BJJ guys. Wrestling is king, and the the way the fights are scored by the judges cements it.

Post #10   1/31/13 4:05:24PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by postman

Posted by Dberntson

I have to disagree. Guys like Askren, Woodley, and even Brock don't have comparably accomplished counterparts when it comes to strictly BJJ guys. Wrestling is king, and the the way the fights are scored by the judges cements it.

I completely agree wrestling is the best base. Brock is a perfect example of what I mean, limited training and mir ended the fight with a knee bar. High level wrestler, high level jits player. He then started to train more sub defense and he smothered mir and beat him to a pulp. Woodly and Askren train subdefense at a high level. What I am saying is if you never trained sub defense and the one style you trained was wrestling u are going to fall into a jits players trap almost every time. This concept is why the UFC was created. Royce proved it and until his draw with shamrock no one knew what had hit them or didnt h it them to be honest. ken knew sub defense.

Last edited 1/31/13 9:07PM server time by Postman
Edit note/reason: Ken not frank shamrock. Dummy

Post #11   1/31/13 6:05:38PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Cejudo has been boxing for the last 3 years. He beat a guy last year that was 20-0. I think Cejudo's amateur boxing record is like 10-0

Post #12   2/1/13 2:26:32AM