Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sponsor Says Breached Agreement, Not Rick Hawn’s Performance, Prompted Stop Payment

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,997-1,105
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
HTFU founder Mark Gingrich found himself in a difficult spot this past Tuesday.

Gingrich, who launched his lifestyle apparel brand in 2009, recently told Sherdog.com that he received a multitude of verbal and physical threats after news broke on Tuesday that he had put a stop payment on a sponsorship check issued to Rick Hawn for his appearance at Bellator 85.

Hawn, who challenged Michael Chandler for Bellator’s lightweight strap in the Jan. 17 main event on Spike TV, announced the development via Twitter on Monday night, though he did not specifically name HTFU in his post. Nevertheless, Gingrich says that his office and website were bombarded the following day by phone calls and emails.

“I’ve been threatened. My girlfriend has been threatened. People who work for the company have been threatened. [Some were] death threats. I lost an employee because of this. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life,” Gingrich recently told Sherdog.com “I would have happily paid $10,000 for that not to have happened -- for my girlfriend and for my employees to not have had to go through that. At the end of the day, I’m pretty disgusted at how [those individuals in the] MMA community conducted themselves.”

Link

Post #1   1/27/13 5:22:45PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
His explanation is incongruent with his original message. The two dont make sense as a single write-up. Which to me implies they were written at seperate times, which consequently then means that hes lying to save face. I dont buy his story at all.

Dont do the crime if your not willing to do the time. The tthreats he recieved are due to his own actions. He should man up rather than play up the feigned outrage bit like a teenage girl does.

Post #2   1/27/13 7:37:51PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

His explanation is incongruent with his original message. The two dont make sense as a single write-up. Which to me implies they were written at seperate times, which consequently then means that hes lying to save face. I dont buy his story at all.

Dont do the crime if your not willing to do the time. The tthreats he recieved are due to his own actions. He should man up rather than play up the feigned outrage bit like a teenage girl does.

While I agree with the majority of your post; death threats against him and his girlfriend/employees over a business dispute is hardly justifiable.

Last edited 1/27/13 8:14PM server time by ne-1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/27/13 8:13:55PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,997-1,105
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Pookie

While I agree with the majority of your post; death threats against him and his girlfriend/employees over a business dispute is hardly justifiable.

I seriously doubt anyone is sending death threats to his girlfriend. To him? Probably. To her? I highly doubt it. He's just wanting to look like the victim. Hawn isn't the only fighter whose had issues with the brand.

Post #4   1/27/13 9:07:33PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,400-1,329
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

No written contract was drawn up, Gingrich said, because of the short-notice nature of the agreement and his willingness to take Hawn and his camp at their word.

Well as suspect as this sponsor guys sounds, at the end of the day it looks like Hawn never signed anything. So, at the risk of declaring someone guilty before being proven innocent, I'd say this guy is a heaping pile of crap because he knew he could get away with it (in a court of law) and Hawn needs to learn not to trust anybody anymore.

Post #5   1/28/13 5:07:13PM