Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC swings, misses in staging Sims-Thomas fight

Print  
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
link

So much for White's hard line and ensuring the integrity of the sport.

This is nothing short of amazing. Let's recap for a minute, shall we?

• Unsanctioned fight.

• Sucker punch.

• Intoxicated fighter.

• Head bounced off of concrete - twice.

And the fighters are rewarded? The UFC doesn't whiff on many, but it blew this one.

What's next ... letting Berube serve as guest referee?

Post #1   6/4/07 11:26:03AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
yeah I figured there would be some backlash to this, but honestly it's probably a smart move on his part... The people who criticize MMA probably don't follow it enough to even realize this is happening for the most part, so if even a few of them saw his little speech on the episode, it looks good for him. Then he can throw the fight on a month later for all of the people who really buy into that reality TV drama. The people who watch the sport and think it was hypocritical won't really care enough to do anything about it. win-win-win.

Post #2   6/4/07 12:39:08PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Win win situation? Not quite. Dana knows what he said on the show after the fight, and all the fans do as well. Who gives a shit what detractors think, they would find a way to hate the UFC regardless. The point is, Dana White is making a dick move for ratings. He is making the organization look much worse than either of those two goons could have ever done. To allow them to fight is a slap in the face of all those who took part in The ultimate Fighter and stayed as legit fighters throughout, win or lose.

Post #3   6/4/07 12:56:16PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
Answer this question. In light of this new hypocrisy, will you be boycotting UFC events from here on out? Do you know of a single person who will? Conversely, do you know of anyone who will be excited to see this fight happen? Personally I've seen at least a few people on these forum boards alone who are looking forward to it, and I'd be willing to bet that the average joe who knows nothing about the sport but enjoys watching people beat each other up would be ecstatic about seeing a rematch in the octagon.

He may have made himself look bad to the people who really follow the sport, but no one is going to care enough to do anything about it, and no one is going to even remember it happened 3 days after the fight has taken place, so he really hasn't lost anything. He may even have won over some nay-sayers with his speech, so ultimately yeah it's a win-win for him. If he's making money off of the pay-per-views you're buying do you think that he gives a shit if you call him a hypocrite? (and yes I know this particular event is not pay-per-view, but the only way this could negatively effect him really is if people decided to take a moral stance and refuse to view future events.)

His personal reputation is irrelevant, the number of people willing to view or pay for his product is what is relevant. People might cry, but they aren't going to stop watching.

Post #4   6/4/07 1:58:53PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
The only thing is that this sends the wrong message to all the TUF fighters...

"You can do whatever you want, and get kicked out of the house, and that's perfectly acceptible, hell we might even reward you for it."

...thus preventing certain states to continue banning UFC in their state. This only hurts the fans in those states who would like to see live fights.

Post #5   6/4/07 2:40:03PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
I agree that it's a bad message to be sending, and that it is highly hypocritical, but I don't think it will have much impact on anything one way or the other aside from a slight boost in ratings. It's the kind of thing that's really so inconsequential that no one will even remember it happening within a few weeks.

Post #6   6/4/07 2:59:10PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,252-833
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:
like i said before, dana will make some money off these guys while he can then we'll probably never hear from them again

Post #7   6/4/07 6:05:11PM