Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rampage Thinks Spinning Elbows And Oblique Kicks Should Be Made Illegal

Print  
Kicks to the Knee??? (oblique kicks)
Keep em 29 62%
Ban em 18 38%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Link

“It should be called the illegal kick. It should be banned and it shows a lot about the fighter’s character that he would throw it. How would he like it if somebody threw it at him and stopped him working for a year? I thought it was an illegal move. I think spinning elbows should be illegal too because they land on the back of the head. But I appreciate a good fight, a good scrap, I just wonder which rule fighters will bend next.”

- Rampage Jackson via ESPN.

I think the spinning elbow should only be illegal if it actually hits the back of the head. I hate those kicks the knee is a tuff joint to repair there is no reason IMO to have a legal attack aimed at destroying it.

Pretty simple poll how do you feel?

Post #1   1/23/13 3:07:56PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm not too fond of the kick either.

Post #2   1/23/13 3:15:54PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I am fine with both. I think they are both good tools to have in a striking arsenal. The spinning elbow is devasting when landed, its similar to the spinning backfist, so those would need to be illegal too. Rampage wants them illegal because he cant defend either one. Rampage - If you want a sport that doesnt have kicks and elbows, make the fucking move to boxing. So sick of him!

Post #3   1/23/13 3:21:04PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Kicks to the knee, no. Could scew up people's knees and we don't need anymore injuries.

But, why should Rampage care if he is seemingly on his way out of MMA?

Post #4   1/23/13 3:40:33PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I am fine with both. I think they are both good tools to have in a striking arsenal. The spinning elbow is devasting when landed, its similar to the spinning backfist, so those would need to be illegal too. Rampage wants them illegal because he cant defend either one. Rampage - If you want a sport that doesnt have kicks and elbows, make the fucking move to boxing. So sick of him!

Rampage can defend against spinning elbows better than most. But I don't see the need to ban them, but I do agree with the oblique kicks. A well timed one could end someones career.
I've been to a few places that will only teach them in self defence classes and flat out refuse to let people practice them on anything other than a dummy. Never once been taught or showed them in training though they can literally fold a knee the wrong way.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #5   1/23/13 3:44:13PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I found it funny that Page is worried about a spinning elbow hitting the back of the head yet he is most famous for trying to put the back of Aronas head through the canvas!

Post #6   1/23/13 3:47:13PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
i say ban the the kicks to the knee. what other reason is there for throwing that kick other than to injure the knee joint. we dont need any more torn ACL's in the ufc. as for the spinning elbows, let them stay. they cant be any more dangerous than a regular elbow or standing knees to the head from the plum.

Post #7   1/23/13 3:52:35PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Head kicks often hit the back of the head/neck as well. Should we ban them?

Post #8   1/23/13 4:05:13PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
*****BREAKING NEWS!!!*****

ramPAGE also thinks that speaking intelligently and coherently + driving on freeways should be banned.

ramPAGE thinks that showing up to a fist fight and actually fighting should be BANNED.

rampPAGE thinks that every sentence that he garbles should end with the phrase 'know what I'm sayin'?'

ramPAGE actually thinks that King Mo is an actual King

Last edited 1/23/13 4:15PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   1/23/13 4:14:42PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:
You should get a warning for targeting a knee with a kick. I've seen a few bad knee injuries. Imo it's like small digit manipulation, very damaging in the long term.

That being said, these guys are punching each other in the face for a living.

Post #10   1/23/13 4:57:23PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:986-629
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

i say ban the the kicks to the knee. what other reason is there for throwing that kick other than to injure the knee joint. we dont need any more torn ACL's in the ufc. as for the spinning elbows, let them stay. they cant be any more dangerous than a regular elbow or standing knees to the head from the plum.

I agree with you 100%. Ban those kicks. The spinning elbows are fine.

Last edited 1/23/13 5:13PM server time by Lungsofsteel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   1/23/13 5:10:45PM   

jaguar_paw

Learning to Sprawl

jaguar_paw Avatar

Career:2,246-1,622
Chips:
Why is a kick to the knee called an "oblique" kick?

To me, and "oblique" kick would be to the side of the stomach below the rib cage.

Just curious if this is another case of Rampage not knowing things or if this is a MMA term I have never heard before.

Post #12   1/23/13 5:14:09PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Rampage can defend against spinning elbows better than most. But I don't see the need to ban them, but I do agree with the oblique kicks. A well timed one could end someones career.
I've been to a few places that will only teach them in self defence classes and flat out refuse to let people practice them on anything other than a dummy. Never once been taught or showed them in training though they can literally fold a knee the wrong way.

Im sorry, I thought the arguement was for oblique kicks (which is a kick to the midsection/body shot/liver shot) which is why I said i am fine with the kick. Now that i know its for a knee kick, i completely agree, a knee kick should be banned.

Post #13   1/23/13 5:25:11PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
I think the kick should stay, but I can't really justify my position any further than comparing them what could happen in certain submissions, which isn't exactly the same situation.

Post #14   1/23/13 7:06:39PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
if they banned Oblique Kicks because they cause injuries they would have to remove all knee bars, ankle locks, arm bars, kimuras, and pretty much every submission there is. Might as well ban all kicks since blocking them can cause injuries, while we're at it, throw on some big ol'boxing gloves............wait a minute....thats pretty much exactly what Rampage wants.

go to boxing already!

Post #15   1/23/13 7:11:51PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3