Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Who Was This Fighter?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

TheShaman

MMA Regular

TheShaman Avatar

Career:522-354
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I saw a very promising fighter in a UFC event a few years ago but haven't been able to remember who it was. I believe it was his UFC debut.

I was particularly impressed by his nearly 100% accuracy and good technique, describing him to myself as "flawless". I looked up his name after the fight, but have since forgotten it. I was planning on following his career because it looked like he was going to be at the top of the game one day.

It was a nationally televised free UFC event. I can't remember the channel, but it was when Spike was the UFC channel. I can't remember the weight class either.

He took a low kick and had to stop. He grabbed himself in pain, and Joe Rogan commented, "You can't grab yourself on national television." He might have even put his hands in his shorts, if I'm not thinking of another fighter who did that. Not that I'm obsessed with low blows like Joe Rogan is, it's just one of the few clues I have to narrow down who it was.

Since I haven't seen him since, despite his impressive performance, I figured he wasn't allowed back because of how he grabbed himself or he was discovered taking PEDs or got injured.

Does anyone with a perfect memory know who it was? I'm going to feel bad if it was someone who actually stayed and became well known without me realizing it, or if his performance was just built up in my mind because I've tried to remember his name for so long.

Post #1   1/20/13 4:42:36PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I remember that but I can't remember the fight

Post #2   1/20/13 5:21:42PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,143-615
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This made me think of Kongo nailing Cro Cop in the balls.
I'm pretty sure that event was free too.
Doubt you are talking about Mirko Cro Cop though.

Edit: I just looked up CC's record, and after that fight was when CC took a break from the UFC. So hell, that may be what you are thinking of.

Last edited 1/20/13 6:10PM server time by copenhagen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/20/13 6:08:21PM   

TheShaman

MMA Regular

TheShaman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Copenhagen

This made me think of Kongo nailing Cro Cop in the balls.
I'm pretty sure that event was free too.
Doubt you are talking about Mirko Cro Cop though.

Edit: I just looked up CC's record, and after that fight was when CC took a break from the UFC. So hell, that may be what you are thinking of.

Whoever this was, they were unknown before the fight. It wasn't just their UFC debut, but I think it was there professional MMA debut altogether. I think the fight sort of stayed unnoticed because of that, even though his performance was exemplary. I kept waiting to see his next fight, but it never happened, unless it slipped by me.

Post #4   1/20/13 6:24:31PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Sounds like Charles Oliveira.

Post #5   1/20/13 6:28:53PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

It couldn't have been his debut then, because Oliviera's first fight was a sub one minute submission against Elkins.

Post #6   1/20/13 6:36:35PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

It couldn't have been his debut then, because Oliviera's first fight was a sub one minute submission against Elkins.

I'm guessing it was Oliveira vs Efrain fight, where Charles puts his hands down his pants in the 3rd round from a nut shot. It seems to read that way in play-by-play of the fight.

Waiting on this slow video of the fight to see it.

Post #7   1/20/13 6:39:45PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

That was my first thought but I can't remember it clearly

Post #8   1/20/13 6:50:19PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
here's a video i found of it, but won't let me skip to 3rd round and takes forever to DL

link

Post #9   1/20/13 6:54:32PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
my first thought was Maiquel Jose Falcao. i dont remember him getting kicked in the junk but he did look really good in his fight against Gerald Harris. it was UFC 123. the fight was a little boring at first but then Falcao let his hands go and hurt Harris a few times. after that there was some kind of contract issue and he never fought in the octagon again.

Post #10   1/20/13 6:59:38PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

my first thought was Maiquel Jose Falcao. i dont remember him getting kicked in the junk but he did look really good in his fight against Gerald Harris. it was UFC 123. the fight was a little boring at first but then Falcao let his hands go and hurt Harris a few times. after that there was some kind of contract issue and he never fought in the octagon again.

Didnt he have a stroke or some major medical event

Post #11   1/20/13 7:06:15PM   

TheShaman

MMA Regular

TheShaman Avatar

Chips:
The mystery fighter was very dynamic... almost too good to be that young, further making me think he was some kind of prodigy. It was to the point where a fighter would look really stupid if he was trying those moves without landing, but this guy was landing them and accurate.

I remember the fight being very one-sided, with the low blow being one of the few things his opponent landed, at least in comparison with the amount that the mystery fighter was landing.

I could break down the fight in much greater detail if I could see it again, but then I wouldn't need help remembering it

Post #12   1/20/13 7:15:11PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After re-watching Oliviera vs Escudero I'd have to agree that from what you described it has to be Oliviera.

Posted by postman

Posted by tcunningham

No contract issue or medical issue, (although he did cancel one fight due to injury). He was cut because he was arrested and put under house arrest for assaulting a woman in 2002. He served 8 months and was released on probation and the UFC cut ties with him.

He's since been fighting in Bellator and won their MW tournament in May.

Last edited 1/20/13 8:21PM server time by FlashyG
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #13   1/20/13 8:16:14PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

same ! he looked real good in that fight too, i heard he had some kind of heart condition recently or even heart attack ??

Post #14   1/20/13 11:23:22PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

After re-watching Oliviera vs Escudero I'd have to agree that from what you described it has to be Oliviera.

Posted by postman

Posted by tcunningham

No contract issue or medical issue, (although he did cancel one fight due to injury). He was cut because he was arrested and put under house arrest for assaulting a woman in 2002. He served 8 months and was released on probation and the UFC cut ties with him.

He's since been fighting in Bellator and won their MW tournament in May.

He def had a heart attack. I don't remember the abuse thing though
link

Post #15   1/21/13 12:44:43AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2