Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

2013 ufc champions.

Print  
Posted By Message

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I was killing time on lunch hour. Thought of titles lost
Not including interim titles.

Lightweight and heavyweight were only title changes

Thinking this year with strikeforce fighters added
How many may lose their titles.
I think lightweight and bantam since Barao is champ may lose the titles.

Biggest and most challenged division to me is lightweight
U got Melendez. Potentially Alvarez plus Pettis vs cerrone winner. Benson will have his hands full.

Heavy. Overeem cormier or werdum title shots
Lightheavy. Sonnen. Gustalffson. And hendo vs machida
Middle. Weidman. And bisping if he wins. Wild card is rockhold
Welter. Diaz. Hendricks. Mcdonald
Feather. Swanso. Koch vs lamas winner. Korean zombie

Bantam. Weidman. Cruz if he returns. Erick Perez

Fly. Moraga. Maybe Joe b rematch.

Women. Cyborg

Decent contenders. Be interesting who loses belt first

I meant wineland not weidman

Last edited 1/16/13 10:49PM server time by prozacnation1978
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/16/13 10:45:49PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i could see dominick cruz losing his belt late in 2013. i think he will be out of the cage too long and when he finally returns he'll be met by an even more savage barao.

i personally would like to see a title change hands at MW. im tired of silva's dominance as well as him jumping around and injuries.

the only other title i could see maybe changing hands is featherweight. if frankie upsets aldo i wont be really surprised just because frankie could have kept the title at LW and probably defended it a few times.

Post #2   1/17/13 12:38:52AM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,586-1,385
Chips:
I'm calling jacare as the belt holder in 2013

Post #3   1/17/13 5:16:53AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:673-365
Chips:
i think the safest guy now is jones

cruz is still technically champ, but if he does comeback in 2013 then he will have stiff challenge in barao.

MW is kind of funny right now because we have probably the best of the contenders in weidman injured and still i'd say 1 more fight before he gets the shot. I think if Bisping beats belfort then he should get the shot, but no way do i see him beating silva...so i think silva holds on for at least one more time before he has to eventually face weidman, and if this happens in late 2013, i really think weidman is the guy to stop his run.

WW- gsp should take care of diaz, but then he has some really stiff competition in hendricks and macdonald, maybe another change in late 2013.

I just think the sport is evolving so quick year by year, and the competition is so freakin high right now that either guy could lose their title this year. But if and when either of them happen i will surely be surprised, just because of how great and long they have held those titles.

Post #4   1/17/13 7:00:41AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,470-909
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

I'm calling jacare as the belt holder in 2013

I could see that. I've been saying to my friends for quite a while now that I think he could be the heir apparent to Anderson's throne as the Godfather of the MW division. I've said for a while that if he could tighten up his striking Jacare could be something spectacular. From the looks of it he's been doing just that, granted against lesser strikers than the Brian Stann's, Costa's, and Bispings of the MW division. I would say match Jacare against Leben to see how he fares against some better strikers, but given Leben's propensity for being choked out from time to time, it wouldn't end well if Jacare got him down, which I think he would be able to do, so I don't know that it would prove a whole lot.

Of course Weidman is coming along as well, and stylistically, he's a threat to Silva as well. I'd like to see the potential grappling clinic put on if Weidman and Jacare fought.

Post #5   1/17/13 7:08:57AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,470-909
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

i think the safest guy now is jones

cruz is still technically champ, but if he does comeback in 2013 then he will have stiff challenge in barao.

MW is kind of funny right now because we have probably the best of the contenders in weidman injured and still i'd say 1 more fight before he gets the shot. I think if Bisping beats belfort then he should get the shot, but no way do i see him beating silva...so i think silva holds on for at least one more time before he has to eventually face weidman, and if this happens in late 2013, i really think weidman is the guy to stop his run.

WW- gsp should take care of diaz, but then he has some really stiff competition in hendricks and macdonald, maybe another change in late 2013.

I just think the sport is evolving so quick year by year, and the competition is so freakin high right now that either guy could lose their title this year. But if and when either of them happen i will surely be surprised, just because of how great and long they have held those titles.

Hasn't Macdonald stated in the past that he would sooner move up to MW than fight gsp? I may be mistaken, but I could've swore I read something like that on mmaweekly a while back.

Yeah, the sport is evolving pretty quickly. I've been watching MMA since 2007, my first event being Liddell vs Couture 3, so I've been watching for going on 6 years, which in the grand scheme of things isn't really all that long when you think about it. Just 6 short years ago there weren't any fighters that I can recall that were the complete package that guys like Rory Mac and Jon Jones, and Cain Velasquez are. I guess you could make the argument that GSP was, but I'm just going to discredit that because it doesn't fall in with my point that in just the last 3 years or so we've seen so many guys coming up who can do it all. Guys who are true hybrids and grew up not training in any one specific martial art as their primary background, e.g. the Royce Gracie's and Lyoto Machida's of the world, but rather, they grew up training MMA. I really think we're seeing the beginnings of a changing of the guards, as it were. It'll be interesting to see how the next year or so plays out.

Post #6   1/17/13 7:18:28AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,027-597
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
HW and BW are the only ones I see possibly changing hands this year. LW is tough division, but I can see Bendo keeping up his outworking style for at least a year. At this point it's invalid to think such a thing, but I cling to the idea that Penn could regain his LW title if he dropped down since Edgar isn't there and his biggest issue was that relentless pace Edgar has.

Post #7   1/17/13 8:55:52AM   

jaguar_paw

Learning to Sprawl

jaguar_paw Avatar

Career:2,132-1,548
Chips:
Going out on a limb on some of these.
HW: Overeem
LHW: Cormier
MW: Wiedman
WW: GSP
LW: Aldo
FW: Edgar
BW: Johnson

The only two guys I see as totally safe are Johnson and GSP. I don't see either of them losing in their current weight classes in 2013.

I think Cormier will drop to LHW and get an immediate title shot if he gets by Mir. Maybe he gets a close decision over Jones.

Weidman is probably the biggest stretch, but if he gets the next title shot after Bisping, I could see him managing a TD and possibly eeking out a decision.

It think Edgar beats Aldo by decision and then Aldo moves up to LW as the cuts are getting too difficult for him. He could get a rather quick title shot.

Post #8   1/17/13 12:29:25PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,455-865
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

HW and BW are the only ones I see possibly changing hands this year. LW is tough division, but I can see Bendo keeping up his outworking style for at least a year. At this point it's invalid to think such a thing, but I cling to the idea that Penn could regain his LW title if he dropped down since Edgar isn't there and his biggest issue was that relentless pace Edgar has.

Relentless is Bendo also, Joe

Post #9   1/17/13 12:52:33PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Chips:
I thought a lot about Edgar vs aldo
Two things will happen aldo early knockout
Or Edgar grinding him out with takedowns for 5 rounds
Aldo has been out a year. Don't know who to pick
First featherweight title event live so I'm excited but
The fight I wanna see the most is reem vs Bigfoot

Post #10   1/17/13 5:32:50PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,140-679
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
2012 I said:
HW: JDS
LHW: Jones
MW: Silva
LW: Benson
FW: Mendes
BW: Cruz

For 2013:
HW: Cain
LHW: Cormier
MW: Silva
LW: Benson
FW: Aldo
BW: Barao
FLY: Johnson
Womens: Rousey

WAR CORMIER!!!
I'd like to say Dodson but I don't see it happening...
I don't think we'll see Cyborg dropping anytime soon

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #11   1/17/13 5:34:29PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I think Cormier will follow through with the move to 205 and throw Jones around.

GSP will maul Diaz and outwrestle Hendricks I think he'll keep it through 2013.

Cain will probably lose knowing the history of the HW title.

Anderson Silva isn't losing his title. That simple.

Henderson does have his hands full and depending on how many times he fights this year and the order of who gets a shot he could be a toss up.

I dont care about the other weight classes

Post #12   1/18/13 10:33:36PM