Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anyone on here into High Level freshwater Aquariums?

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I've been into fish and home aquariums since I was a kid. My dad always had a nice tank when I was growing up with all different kinds of fish. Oscars at one point, Gold Severns and Angle Fish at others.

I've breed a few different kinds. Angles, cherry barbs and sword tails. It was fun but no money in it on a small scale tho.

Now I just have my 55 gallon that im working on. 40 tetras a few catfish and a pleco. All live plants with a canister filter and a CO2 system diffused through a powerhead.

Before I moved I had the tank looking like you took a chunk of riverbead and placed it in your front room. Now its back to square one.

Post #1   1/13/13 10:14:24PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I used to have a small tank but I never really got into breeding and doing the necessary maintenance to keep it clean.

My brother was really into it. He had like a 10 gallon tank. He tried to breed oscars for a while but with no success. He fought his oscars and talked about it with great enthusiasm. Did you do that too?

Post #2   1/14/13 12:17:41AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:
I never fought fish, no

Post #3   1/14/13 12:37:55AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:640-344
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
at my parents place (moved out 1yr ago) we have a massive fish tank built into the side of the staircase as you go upstairs. its approx 1.5m x 1.2x 1m.

At first we bought about 8 oscars and a massive cat fish...they lasted about 8 years and we still had 3 when we sold them.

Then we got 5 black ghost knife fish and an assortment of others.

Black ghost knife's are my favourite fish to watch to this day. So unusual looking and kind and i just find it relaxing to watch them.

If you never seen one before check them out on youtube...very cool fish !!!

Post #4   1/14/13 5:17:34AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,675-1,472
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I have a 95 galloon tank but I keep my Boa Constrictor in it

Post #5   1/14/13 5:52:00AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I've always been interested in having a fish tank, but I have never had one. Someday I would like to. Maybe with only one animal in it, like a shark or something cool.

Post #6   1/14/13 9:27:17AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,775-1,119
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Nice! I keep my boa constricter in my pants.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #7   1/14/13 10:41:39AM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Career:857-609
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
I have several fish tanks. Mostly South American cichlids. Be careful it is addictive, I have 8 setups running right now. I have not had much luck with planted tanks, they are a lot of work. If I cut back to a tank or two Im sure I could pull it off. I have made DIY co2 systems but never got serious with it. If you get a pleco make sure you get Bristlenose or it will get huge and eat your plants. I had a 75g with a couple schools of tetras and tiger barbs but about a year ago they died while I was on vacation. I am itching to get an other school of tiger barbs and will probably do so this week. I use playground sand or landscape pebbles for substrate to save money (just wash really well). Also I get my rocks and driftwood from nature, I prefer the natural look to the neon blue and pinks a lot of pet stores sell.

Post #8   1/14/13 10:44:21AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BelXavier420

I have several fish tanks. Mostly South American cichlids. Be careful it is addictive, I have 8 setups running right now. I have not had much luck with planted tanks, they are a lot of work. If I cut back to a tank or two Im sure I could pull it off. I have made DIY co2 systems but never got serious with it. If you get a pleco make sure you get Bristlenose or it will get huge and eat your plants. I had a 75g with a couple schools of tetras and tiger barbs but about a year ago they died while I was on vacation. I am itching to get an other school of tiger barbs and will probably do so this week. I use playground sand or landscape pebbles for substrate to save money (just wash really well). Also I get my rocks and driftwood from nature, I prefer the natural look to the neon blue and pinks a lot of pet stores sell.

I feed my pleco bottom feeder discs so it doesn't really touch my plants. I used to have a breaded pair of Jack Dempsey's that would push all the gravel to the front and uproot the plants so after they died I went with tetras because they're awesome in a school and the don't do any damage.

The one thing I can say about a well established planted tank is after you get it going its pretty self sufficient. You just gotta add the micro and macro nutrients once or twice a week and do a mild water change here and there

Post #9   1/14/13 11:19:28AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by sparky

Nice! I keep my boa constricter in my pants.

Props to both of you. I only wish my garden snake could fit in this conversation.

Post #10   1/14/13 11:37:46AM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

at my parents place (moved out 1yr ago) we have a massive fish tank built into the side of the staircase as you go upstairs. its approx 1.5m x 1.2x 1m.

At first we bought about 8 oscars and a massive cat fish...they lasted about 8 years and we still had 3 when we sold them.

Then we got 5 black ghost knife fish and an assortment of others.

Black ghost knife's are my favourite fish to watch to this day. So unusual looking and kind and i just find it relaxing to watch them.

If you never seen one before check them out on youtube...very cool fish !!!

I know exactly what you're talking about with the Ghost Knife, a friend of mine had those before. He also had the Elephant Nose, those are pretty bad ass too.

Post #11   1/14/13 12:24:21PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Chips:
I had a 45 Gallon Salt Water setup, a few years back, I bought as a complete setup off a friend. It was awesome, but the way he told me to take care of it, wasn't enough to keep it going, sadly lost everything but the live rock. I would love to get it going again, the right way. My goal is to learn how to maintain a salt water tank, then upgrade to a 200 Gall. so I could get a shark.

Post #12   1/14/13 12:38:02PM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

I had a 45 Gallon Salt Water setup, a few years back, I bought as a complete setup off a friend. It was awesome, but the way he told me to take care of it, wasn't enough to keep it going, sadly lost everything but the live rock. I would love to get it going again, the right way. My goal is to learn how to maintain a salt water tank, then upgrade to a 200 Gall. so I could get a shark.

That would be bad ass, I have a puffer fish in a 10g brackish tank. That is as close to saltwater as I have gone.

Post #13   1/14/13 5:18:04PM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

I feed my pleco bottom feeder discs so it doesn't really touch my plants. I used to have a breaded pair of Jack Dempsey's that would push all the gravel to the front and uproot the plants so after they died I went with tetras because they're awesome in a school and the don't do any damage.

The one thing I can say about a well established planted tank is after you get it going its pretty self sufficient. You just gotta add the micro and macro nutrients once or twice a week and do a mild water change here and there

Ya I have had a breeding pair of Jacks also, they are pretty destructive. My newest prized possession is a Madagascar Cichlid (Stary night). I have 1 in a 55g by himself, Ill try to get a picture or video of him up here because he is a good looking fish.

Post #14   1/14/13 5:20:47PM