Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gegard Mousasi: ‘I see a lot of fighters getting knocked out and they still get more praise than me’

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
According to the "underestimated" Mousasi, he's witnessed other fighters "lose very badly," yet receive much higher praise than him. But, after some much-needed experience, he now understands "how things work."

His words to MMA Fighting:

"Maybe [because I was overseas]. I don't know. I see some fighters lose very badly, but still they get more praise or they're not overrated. They're just good fighters in a lot of people's eyes. But I feel like one loss with King Mo, it made me a very bad fighter somehow. When I first fought in the U.S., there was a lot of attention. And then after that loss, there wasn't actually that much interest. I see now, it's experience. I get [more] mature. I understand now things how work. I felt I accomplished my goals, I won in DREAM. I got the belt in Strikeforce.You're a top contender, and [suddenly] you are just a fighter, basically fighting just to fight. I understand how things go. It can go very fast. It comes fast and it goes fast. I see a lot of fighters getting knocked out, but they still, they praise them a lot more than me. I haven't been beaten badly in any fight. I just lost one fight in, I don't know how many fights. I think people underestimate me. And I feel like now, with the good training I have, why shouldn't I be able to fight these UFC fighters?"

For Gegard, it's now or never, as he hopes an impressive performance coupled with a victory over Mike Kyle earns him an invite to the world's premiere MMA organization:

"This is the time. If I don't do it now, maybe I won't get a second chance. I feel like everything is falling into its place."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   1/11/13 3:16:25PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I hope he makes a run. I followed him real close for a bit then he just kinda fell off the map. Excited to see him fight

Post #2   1/11/13 3:26:09PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,496-1,495
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
he's paid his dues and needs to go to the UFC..been a fan of him since Pride, and i think he is right by saying ppl forgot about him, but he'll finish Kyle and make his UFC debut this yr...

Post #3   1/11/13 3:29:35PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Chips:
I see what he's getting at and it's true. Look at Todd Duffee. He had all the hype in the world after just one punch, then lost it all in one punch. It's just the way MMA is. Fans believe in hype.

Post #4   1/11/13 3:31:11PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Chips:
I've personally considered Gegard a top MW/LHW for a long time now, and I'm glad he's probably going to get a shot to prove a lot of the doubters wrong soon. He doesn't have many holes in his game(outside of wrestling and maybe intensity). The reality is, even though he lost to Mo, there aren't many guys in the world that Mo can't wrestlefuck for UD, and Gegard did most of the damage in that boring fight. I can appreciate a fighter being calm in the cage, but Gegard looks more disinterested than everyone else in the arena when he's fighting. It seems to go beyond calm and lean towards bored or sedated. It does generally crack my buddies and I up when we watch him though, not many guys look so Dr. Depresso right before or after a fight.

Post #5   1/11/13 3:51:01PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Chips:
He took some of the wind out of his sails by not fighting for sure but he is also not the American looking type. Not his nationality, but not the muscle bound guy. He did great at middle weight, I wish he would return to it.

Post #6   1/11/13 3:59:36PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
He dominated that fight off his back, I still can't believe they gave that fight to Lawal, I knew it was going to happen but I kept hoping for the truth.

Post #7   1/11/13 4:19:28PM   

babalu46

In Full Mount

babalu46 Avatar

Career:1,075-655
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Always been a huge fan of Mousasi and I still think he is hugely relevant in the top 10 picture of either MW or LHW. Hopefully he'll come over to the UFC and be able to prove how good he is whilst also being able to finish people.

Post #8   1/11/13 4:58:01PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,250-1,376
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I do not see how this can be suprising to fans of Gegard. He hasnt been given the respect he should be given thats for sure.

I really hope to see him get a shot in the UFC, and just lay down the pain on everyone!

Post #9   1/11/13 7:36:16PM   

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,887-1,178
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I hope not but I have a feeling he is coming in and on a Dennis Kang path

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #10   1/11/13 8:31:37PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:506-312
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

I hope not but I have a feeling he is coming in and on a Dennis Kang path

Who's going to be his Bisping?

Post #11   1/12/13 2:39:08PM   

Coolhand37

MMA Regular

Coolhand37 Avatar

Career:1,421-1,480
Camp: Brazilian Beatdown
Chips:
Mousasi is an awesome awesome fighter, infact he might be an alltime great, but he isn't in the ufc and that affects his popularity in the US. Until he fights in the ufc he might not be so popular, I have considered him a great fighter and he has awesome talentand heart with awesome skills.
He is better than alot of fighters even some in the ufc.
I feel he should transition to the ufc or challenge more of their fighters like he did against Jardine. That was one of Jardines best performances by the way.
Can't wait to see Mousasi fight again!!
I will not watch strikeforce because it is on showtime who i am religiously opposed to, strikeforce should move to NBC FOX or maybe espn espn2 or fx or versus or spike a program more in touch with moral fighting fans.

Post #12   1/12/13 8:04:21PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:930-528
Chips:
Well then Gegard, you need to come in like Glover Teixeira, and make a statement, so the casual fans know who you are.

Post #13   1/13/13 1:25:50PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Chips:
This to me is like the best player in the CFL complaining that he doesn't get as much praise as NFL players do.

He may be one of the best in the world, but until you're in the best league in the world you won't get the respect you feel you deserve.

Post #14   1/13/13 1:58:38PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

He dominated that fight off his back, I still can't believe they gave that fight to Lawal, I knew it was going to happen but I kept hoping for the truth.

If you knew it was going to happen, then how can you still not believe it? I'm just messing with you. I understand what you meant and I feel the same way. However, judging sucks everywhere, so if he doesn't want to see the same thing happen when he gets to the UFC (where there are quite a few wrestlers), then he should focus on improving his TDD. While Mo is a very good wrestler, he isn't the best at advancing position or threatening from guard (outside of loading up a bomb here and there). Don't get me wrong, Mo is dangerous from the guard, but not that diverse in his attack and a an experienced and calm guy like Gegard can effectively negate and counter it. Unfortunately for him, it isn't effective enough in many judges' eyes.

Post #15   1/15/13 8:57:52AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2