Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Eddie Alvarez's UFC offer includes immediate title shot, pay-per-view cut

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

Posted by MoparJR253

Dont like it. I think the guy should have to prove himself in the ufc. He should get a top guy for sure... just not Benson.

This

But I do think Melendez deserves an immediate title shot. Also since they're virtually just stripping away his belt.

I think its pretty clear the UFC is not a fight league. A league would have structure and you would earn a shot. The way it is now they are going to put whoever they want in that best suits thier needs. It is a business and that business is getting as many ppl to watch their product and not the other guys. So take the biggest star from Bellator and give him a shot. They would promote him as the baddest dude outside of the UFC. He comes in and gets beat it just shows the other Orgs champs are simply club champs. If he wins then you have a mega star.

Post #16   1/10/13 9:07:36AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Copenhagen

Agreed, he (or his management) may be the biggest to blame.
It was bumped up 9k from his UFC 150 base pay, so they may bump it up again hopefully.

well when his current contract is over, he can get a much bigger base pay.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #17   1/10/13 12:44:29PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Copenhagen

Agreed, he (or his management) may be the biggest to blame.
It was bumped up 9k from his UFC 150 base pay, so they may bump it up again hopefully.

well when his current contract is over, he can get a much bigger base pay.

Exactly. Kind of ironic Bendo is talking shit though. He lost his WEC title before coming over, which hurt his stock. He hasn't been around as long as Alvarez. He hasn't finished one fight in the UFC. And he didn't have another promotion suddenly fall into Viacom money that wanted to retain him. If Bendo keeps winning, and maybe gets a finish, he will certainly get taken care of.

Back on topic though, Alvarez needs to make the jump. Bellator can't offer a fight on Fox. They can offer commentary deals, but again the exposure wouldn't be as big. They can't offer the PPV money.... done deal. Bellator should drop the lawsuit and cut their losses.

Post #18   1/10/13 2:46:59PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by postman

I think its pretty clear the UFC is not a fight league. A league would have structure and you would earn a shot. The way it is now they are going to put whoever they want in that best suits thier needs. It is a business and that business is getting as many ppl to watch their product and not the other guys. So take the biggest star from Bellator and give him a shot. They would promote him as the baddest dude outside of the UFC. He comes in and gets beat it just shows the other Orgs champs are simply club champs. If he wins then you have a mega star.

Sad but true.

Post #19   1/10/13 4:12:19PM   

babalu46

In Full Mount

babalu46 Avatar

Career:990-619
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Looking at that PPV bonus system does anyone know how many UFC fighters actually have this clause and what this ranks next to them?

On another note is Alvarez actually this big of a PPV pull to warrant all this money? I am definitely excited to see this guy in the UFC I just don't know if the money being thrown at him through this contract is actually of value to the UFC compared to other fighters.

Post #20   1/10/13 5:15:59PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
What Bendo doesn't get is the UFC had to overpay so Bellator wouldn't match their offer. It's that simple.

On top of that Eddie is an exciting fighter with a marketable personality.

Benson on the other hand is a PR nightmare. I would bet the UFC can't wait for him to lose. Remember when Edgar and Bendo showed up for a presser to promote their bout? Eddie had on a nice suit, and Bendo was in sweat pants and a sweat shirt like he just rolled out of bed. Entirely unprofessional. He thinks his bouts will do the selling for him, but it won't...there's just a lot more to selling fights.

Last edited 1/10/13 5:56PM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   1/10/13 5:55:31PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2