Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

2013 NHL Season thread

Print  
  Page 2 of 11     1     2     3     4     5   >>
Posted By Message

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by airkerma

Bubbles how are you not a Sabers fan

why would I be? I have nothing against them but curious to why you think that. I grew up a Rangers fan living in "Leafs nation" with my dad a Bruins fan and uncle a Sabres fan. Don't know how or why it got started, nor does my dad, but I'm just thankful I don't cheer on those Leafs

You seem to be a Bills supporter, or at least more so than a Giants supporter. Geographically it makes more sense to me and would be more consistent. I have to admit I forgot about the Leafs, but still, just was wondering.

Post #16   1/8/13 10:54:20AM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,629-1,436
Chips:
I be'leaf

Post #17   1/8/13 11:25:46AM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,519-865
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Time for a thread to discuss this makeshift season.

LETS GO RANGERS

Right there with you Bubbs Blueshirts fan for life!

Post #18   1/8/13 11:44:49AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by airkerma
You seem to be a Bills supporter, or at least more so than a Giants supporter. Geographically it makes more sense to me and would be more consistent. I have to admit I forgot about the Leafs, but still, just was wondering.

I'm a Bills fan, Rangers Fan, Cardinals (and Blue Jays) fan, and Raptors fan. My allegiance is all over the map. I ain't no homer

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #19   1/8/13 12:27:59PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,958-1,134
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I think Carlyle behind the bench for the Leafs will be a good thing for them.

Hopefully teams decide to shoot pucks at Torts while he stands behind the Rags bench.A guy who coaches tactics over talent, you want Gaborik to lay out and block shots Awesome a premier goal scorer sacrificing the body but hey i doubt Lundqvist an elite goalie would've probably let that slapper from blue in anyways.lol......It is useful and they do block a shit load of shots under him, But unless it's a dire need situation i don't care to see Geno or Crosby out there diving at shots.

And for whoever said Malkin is the best player in the world....I disagree Malkin is the best player in the world when Crosby is not in the line-up he tends to fall back when Sid is healthy at times...But the main reason IMO is Geno is much better with good players around him.. IE James Neal....Crosby makes everyone around him better IE other than Kunitz insert random 3rd-4th line caliber winger that he has had over the years...Matt Cooke was producing points at nice pace on a line with Sid. lol.I'm from Pittsburgh area and a die hard Pens fan..so i don't complain about having both though.

Also hopefully Beau Bennett cracks the line-up and can fill the missing top 4/6 winger the Pens need.Or being as they're stockpiled with a lot of nice young Dmen, I wouldn't cry if they moved Letang for top 4\6 winger...such as a Bobby Ryan or that caliber...But talks have been they may go and trade for Gonchar back from the Sens.

Post #20   1/8/13 1:29:27PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by BuffaloDave
Just saw one of our 1st round draft picks is coming to the camp, Mikhail Grigorenko, pumped to see what he can do, since he has been compared to Malkin.

he was money in the World Juniors. I doubt he will be a Malkin (who imo is the best player in the game) but he could very well be a Kovalchuck

Kovalchuck is a winger, and Grigo is a Center, so he would still be more like Geno, than Kovalchuck, just based on his position he plays.

I still hope he just gets the 9 games played here, and goes back to Quebec, so on of his contract years isn't wasted, on such a short season, of course if he lights it up, then by all means keep him here. Sabs are still pretty thin at Center.

Post #21   1/8/13 4:10:19PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by iwannabesedated

I think Carlyle behind the bench for the Leafs will be a good thing for them.

Hopefully teams decide to shoot pucks at Torts while he stands behind the Rags bench.A guy who coaches tactics over talent, you want Gaborik to lay out and block shots Awesome a premier goal scorer sacrificing the body but hey i doubt Lundqvist an elite goalie would've probably let that slapper from blue in anyways.lol......It is useful and they do block a shit load of shots under him, But unless it's a dire need situation i don't care to see Geno or Crosby out there diving at shots.

And for whoever said Malkin is the best player in the world....I disagree Malkin is the best player in the world when Crosby is not in the line-up he tends to fall back when Sid is healthy at times...But the main reason IMO is Geno is much better with good players around him.. IE James Neal....Crosby makes everyone around him better IE other than Kunitz insert random 3rd-4th line caliber winger that he has had over the years...Matt Cooke was producing points at nice pace on a line with Sid. lol.I'm from Pittsburgh area and a die hard Pens fan..so i don't complain about having both though.

Also hopefully Beau Bennett cracks the line-up and can fill the missing top 4/6 winger the Pens need.Or being as they're stockpiled with a lot of nice young Dmen, I wouldn't cry if they moved Letang for top 4\6 winger...such as a Bobby Ryan or that caliber...But talks have been they may go and trade for Gonchar back from the Sens.

you could combine the talents and smarts of Rob Babcock, Pat Burns, Bill Belichek, Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan, Joe Torre, and Bobby Cox, turn that into a hockey only mind, insert it into the Leafs head coach and the team will still suck.

As a Rangers fan, yeah it's kind of dumb to have EVERYONE block shots, but at the same time they were that close to going to the Stanley Cup. Had NJ not had a 5 day break between Philly and NY (while NY finished their 2nd hard fought 7 game series), I have absolutely no doubt that the Rangers would have been the ones to get spanked by the Kings Malkin and Crosbaby aren't the types of players to go down and block many shots anyways...and with Cindy's concussion history I'd expect him to stay on his skates at all times.

I'm the guy who said Malkin is the best in the world. He is the reason why Crosbaby has a ring. If the Pens lost Malkin for half a season, I highly doubt Crosby would be able to keep the team at or near the top of the division. Crosby disappears as the playoffs go on whereas Malkin steps up his game. If Matt Cooke played on the top line in Detroit, Vancouver, Philly, Tampa, and a couple other teams while getting 22+ minutes a night he would produce at or near career highs...that is of course if he isn't suspended and stays out of the box.

Although I can't stand the Penguins, the last thing they need is another winger. Maybe another C with Staal leaving but their D is bad. They let Fleury hang out to dry way too many times last season to be successful. It's nice to be able to score 5x a game but they need to be able to win on nights when they can only score 2 goals. Hal Gill was so vital to their cup run, they need another guy like that.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #22   1/8/13 11:11:12PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave
Kovalchuck is a winger, and Grigo is a Center, so he would still be more like Geno, than Kovalchuck, just based on his position he plays.

I was going more based on puck handling and scoring ability. I don't know how he will be in the circle taking faceoffs or being a playmaker at the NHL level so I was comparing him to a general forward as opposed to position specific

either way, you should have a gem to watch for many years

Post #23   1/8/13 11:16:31PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Hal Gill was so vital to their cup run, they need another guy like that.

This, as was Scuderi.I'd still like more depth at the W though,Other than Neal they don't have any real scoring threats,I'm hoping Bennett turns out to be the real deal.I dunno if it's Bylsma's system but Man was Martin and Michalek pretty awful last season and Martin was a pretty solid guy with the Devils and was fine with his first season here.Anyone who says Malkin is better than Crosby just hates Crosby, And for me saying that it makes a Crosby nuthugger i guess.Pre-concussion Crosby was well on his way to 50 goals and probably a 130+ points.Like i said before Malkin plays a lot better when he is surrounded with quality talent...Crosby makes those around him better that to me is the difference.I'm not saying Malkin wouldn't contribute with lower tiered wings either.

As far as losing Staal, They did get Sutter in return and i seen formula breakdown of their defensive stats that tied a bunch of shit together.Defense wise not much different, Sutter was actually better at some things, However he is not Staal, but still Sutter can play they shut-down role he'll be needed to.

Last edited 1/9/13 8:19AM server time by iwannabesedated
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #24   1/9/13 8:17:49AM   

Southside11

MMA Regular

Southside11 Avatar

Career:2,425-1,477
Chips:

Anyone who says Malkin is better than Crosby just hates Crosby, And for me saying that it makes a Crosby nuthugger i guess.

This isn't true, either part. I'm from Pittsburgh and a season ticket holder (for 5 years). It's just the view of a typical Pens fan, not a Crosby nuthugger.

Malkin is the better player, imo, and has proven he can carry a team if Sid goes down, or disappears in playoffs. Its true Geno gets the luxury of not having the top line going against him on most nights, where Sid does, but his work ethic is what "most" pens fans don't like about Geno and praise Sid for: Geno is lazy at times and doesn't try his best (most of the Russian players don't), and Sid is a motor and is all out-all the time. He does make others around him better, but has yet to prove he can take a team on his shoulders w/o Geno lurking in the wings.

Bottom line is they are both great players, everyone has an opinion of who is better and why, and ultimately no one knows who is right. I'm just glad that as Pens fans we get to argue who is better when its pretty clear we have 2 of the top 3 or 4 players in the world, both on our team!

Last edited 1/9/13 10:47AM server time by Southside11

Post #25   1/9/13 10:47:18AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Southside11

Anyone who says Malkin is better than Crosby just hates Crosby, And for me saying that it makes a Crosby nuthugger i guess.

This isn't true, either part. I'm from Pittsburgh and a season ticket holder (for 5 years). It's just the view of a typical Pens fan, not a Crosby nuthugger.

Malkin is the better player, imo, and has proven he can carry a team if Sid goes down, or disappears in playoffs. Its true Geno gets the luxury of not having the top line going against him on most nights, where Sid does, but his work ethic is what "most" pens fans don't like about Geno and praise Sid for: Geno is lazy at times and doesn't try his best (most of the Russian players don't), and Sid is a motor and is all out-all the time. He does make others around him better, but has yet to prove he can take a team on his shoulders w/o Geno lurking in the wings.

Bottom line is they are both great players, everyone has an opinion of who is better and why, and ultimately no one knows who is right. I'm just glad that as Pens fans we get to argue who is better when its pretty clear we have 2 of the top 3 or 4 players in the world, both on our team!

Well Hopefully they both show up for the playoffs this season, because i can't deal with seeing a toothless rookie named Coutierer shut down Malkin again.

Last edited 1/9/13 11:13AM server time by iwannabesedated

Post #26   1/9/13 11:13:15AM   

Southside11

MMA Regular

Southside11 Avatar

Career:2,425-1,477
Chips:
I hate watching these guys get beat by most of these teams, only a few should hang with them. This shortened season should be interesting, idk what teams will look like this year.

Post #27   1/9/13 11:15:51AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Southside11

I hate watching these guys get beat by most of these teams, only a few should hang with them. This shortened season should be interesting, idk what teams will look like this year.

NOTHING is worse than Philly to me and that's including the Ravens with the Steelers.But I'm more a hockey guy so that may be why.

Hopefully this year we can chant "You can't win the cup" to Philly when they're in town, In rebuttal to the "you can't beat us" they had last season, Although after that game i think the Pens scored 10 or 8 something outrageous in the next one.

Post #28   1/9/13 11:33:48AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Anyone who says Malkin is better than Crosby just hates Crosby, And for me saying that it makes a Crosby nuthugger i guess.Pre-concussion Crosby was well on his way to 50 goals and probably a 130+ points.Like i said before Malkin plays a lot better when he is surrounded with quality talent...Crosby makes those around him better that to me is the difference.I'm not saying Malkin wouldn't contribute with lower tiered wings either.

As far as losing Staal, They did get Sutter in return and i seen formula breakdown of their defensive stats that tied a bunch of shit together.Defense wise not much different, Sutter was actually better at some things, However he is not Staal, but still Sutter can play they shut-down role he'll be needed to.

I have watched enough Penguins games and international hockey to stand by that Malkin is a better player than Crosby. Yes I do hate Crosby but I do recognize and appreciate his talent as one of the top 3 best players in the world. Likewise I can't stand Anderson Silva but he is the best fighter in the world. Crosby is a regular season and 1st round playoff performer. When his team needs him late in playoffs or in the elimination games in the Olympics, he is just another body on the ice. James Neal had a career year playing alongside Malkin, scoring almost 15 more goals and assists than any other season when he played alongside pretty solid guys like Ribero, Eriksson, Benn, Richards and Morrow. It's going to be interesting what they do with Malkin being a UFA in 2014 with a lower cap. If he walks, we will get to see if Crosby can carry the team like Malkin did

I completely forgot about Sutter, you'll enjoy him and is a nice replacement for Staal. Might not be as great on the PK though

Last edited 1/9/13 12:14PM server time by bubbles

Post #29   1/9/13 12:12:22PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Anyone who says Malkin is better than Crosby just hates Crosby, And for me saying that it makes a Crosby nuthugger i guess.Pre-concussion Crosby was well on his way to 50 goals and probably a 130+ points.Like i said before Malkin plays a lot better when he is surrounded with quality talent...Crosby makes those around him better that to me is the difference.I'm not saying Malkin wouldn't contribute with lower tiered wings either.

I have watched enough Penguins games and international hockey to stand by that Malkin is a better player than Crosby. Yes I do hate Crosby but I do recognize and appreciate his talent as one of the top 3 best players in the world. Likewise I can't stand Anderson Silva but he is the best fighter in the world. Crosby is a regular season and 1st round playoff performer. When his team needs him late in playoffs or in the elimination games in the Olympics, he is just another body on the ice. James Neal had a career year playing alongside Malkin, scoring almost 15 more goals and assists than any other season when he played alongside pretty solid guys like Ribero, Eriksson, Benn, Richards and Morrow. It's going to be interesting what they do with Malkin being a UFA in 2014 with a lower cap. If he walks, we will get to see if Crosby can carry the team like Malkin did

I completely forgot about Sutter, you'll enjoy him and is a nice replacement for Staal. Might not be as great on the PK though

Crosby did score the game winner in the gold medal game.He was hurt for most of the 2nd/3rd periods when they won the cup against Detroit and Talbot was the hero.Like Southside said, Malkin has his slumps where he appears lazy and doesn't motor like Sid.The Pens should be fine cap wise to re-sign Geno.Just depends on if he turns out to be another greedy euro chasing the $$ but i think him and his family enjoy Pittsburgh so i really don't think Shero and co will let him walk and if they don't feel like he'll resign i'd hope they'd move him at the deadline and fetch a hell of a return.

Post #30   1/9/13 1:08:34PM   

Page 2 of 11     1     2     3     4     5   >>