Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Less than 5,000 tickets sold for upcoming UFC 157 pay-per-view headlined by Ronda Rousey

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Rousey isn't as popular as they would like for us to believe, and Carmouche is a virtual unknown.

They haven't really promoted this card nor the fighters like they should. Jones vs Belfort had trouble selling out and they are 2 of the bigger names.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #16   1/3/13 1:59:30PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,070-584
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Yeah, event is 50+ days away, so there's still a good bit of time.
I personally hope the seat sales and PPV sales are a flop, and hope this is the last main event that has two WMMA fighters on it. In my opinion, the UFC jumped the gun on this one.
Yet, there is still plenty of time for sales to go up, and if the sales are good enough...we'll see more PPV spots filled with WMMA fights.

Post #17   1/3/13 2:15:20PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

I'm sure the UFC is unhappy with the ticket sales so far, but it can't be totally unexpected. This is the first time they're having women headline an event, and of course there are going to be some people out there that aren't interested because they're women, but if they put on a good show, and the highlights get shown on various outlets, it could make future events featuring the ladies easier to sell. I think the jury will be out on whether they can sell tickets for at least a year or two.

Exactly, but if they were planning for the future, wouldn't it make more sense to put them as co-main instead? Cruz has been fighting on free cards over and over, yet a brand new division with 3 signed fighters is headlining a card?

Post #18   1/3/13 3:07:21PM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
I'm not against women's MMA, In fact i am all for it. Ronda Rousey is a very good fighter, but similar to Chael Sonnen in her approach to smack talking which could sell fights, but as Women's MMA in the UFC is new, i think Dana White has made a mistake under selling the rest of that card by Making Rousey the main event. There is no doubt in my mind that If the Ronda Rousey fight was maybe first or second fight on the main card with Machida/Hendo as main event and Lawler/Koscheck co-main event then this card would sell much better. By all means introduce women's MMA to the UFC, but not straight in at the big end !!!

Last edited 1/3/13 3:25PM server time by LightsOUT23
Edit note/reason: spelling

Post #19   1/3/13 3:24:45PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Rousey isn't as popular as they would like for us to believe, and Carmouche is a virtual unknown.

They haven't really promoted this card nor the fighters like they should. Jones vs Belfort had trouble selling out and they are 2 of the bigger names.

Maybe ppl just don't like to pay for miss matches? I personally think a combination of 2 things are the reason WMMA is in the UFC right now. the first was to keep Bellator from getting any star power they could out of the end of SF The second since Zuffa owns SF they still would have contracts to fullfil similar to the PRIDE guys like Hunt getting fights. Hunt being a good example he had a nice spark and they hope to get that same spark from Rousey. Just my take.

Post #20   1/3/13 3:31:43PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,759-1,532
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Bubbles

Maybe ppl just don't like to pay for miss matches? I personally think a combination of 2 things are the reason WMMA is in the UFC right now. the first was to keep Bellator from getting any star power they could out of the end of SF The second since Zuffa owns SF they still would have contracts to fullfil similar to the PRIDE guys like Hunt getting fights. Hunt being a good example he had a nice spark and they hope to get that same spark from Rousey. Just my take.

I agree with you on the mismatch point. People that are fans of Rousey and are following her career know that Carmouche doesn't stand a great chance. And if they don't know that, they can always check the mind blowing Vegas odds.

Post #21   1/3/13 4:03:57PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by postman

Posted by Bubbles

I agree with you on the mismatch point. People that are fans of Rousey and are following her career know that Carmouche doesn't stand a great chance. And if they don't know that, they can always check the mind blowing Vegas odds.

Well virtually every opponent for GSP, Anderson and Jones is a mismatch within their division too

If they built up the women's division first and then had them headline a PPV, it would have done much better. I have zero problems with a WMMA headliner fight in the UFC, they just haven't been exposed to the casual fanbase yet who only watch and know main event UFC fighters

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #22   1/3/13 5:13:10PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
I strongly disagree with the notion of putting a title fight (women's or not) on the first couple PPV slots. Machida vs Hendo should have been the headliner with Rousey vs Carmouche as the co-main.

Post #23   1/3/13 5:16:30PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Im not disagreeing withu bubs all these things i would say are pretty much combining to cause the low ticket sales.

Post #24   1/3/13 5:38:34PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I strongly disagree with the notion of putting a title fight (women's or not) on the first couple PPV slots. Machida vs Hendo should have been the headliner with Rousey vs Carmouche as the co-main.

Post #25   1/3/13 6:33:17PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,171-1,277
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Bubbles

So do I that and the fact that Rousey talking gives me a migraine.

Post #26   1/3/13 7:45:01PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Maybe the casual MMA fan just isn't willing to take the plunge for womens MMA yet.
And maybe us hardcore fans know the division isn't filled with star power just yet.

My two cents is a free card with 2 or 3 solid female matches perhaps would have been a better way to gently ease the division in. Maybe the sells will pick up?

Post #27   1/3/13 7:49:38PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
Hendo - Machida, Faber and Koscheck-Lawler......but it's all Ronda's fault the card is undersold? Seriously doubt that.

Also doubt that Bendo, Aldo, Cruz or Mighty Mouse would do any better as the main event in Ronda's place. Im sure the card will do fine, the same as every other show they have without GSP or Andy. 250-400k ppvs.

Post #28   1/3/13 8:01:37PM   

MuayThaiGeek13

MMA Regular

Career:115-75
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

Hendo - Machida, Faber and Koscheck-Lawler......but it's all Ronda's fault the card is undersold? Seriously doubt that.

Also doubt that Bendo, Aldo, Cruz or Mighty Mouse would do any better as the main event in Ronda's place. Im sure the card will do fine, the same as every other show they have without GSP or Andy. 250-400k ppvs.

I disagree on all parts.

Every champion named other than Johnson, becuase 125 is so new, can hold their own in pulling ppv sells far beyond what Rousey can pull without a super fight as her co-main.

Hendo and Machida are probably the reason this event has sold the tickets it has.

The main reason I'm going to be tuning in for this card is for Hendo/Machida. Followed second by begrudgingly wanting to watch the title fight for the history factor. Not for entertainment.

Last edited 1/3/13 8:32PM server time by MuayThaiGeek13
Edit note/reason: Messed up quote.

Post #29   1/3/13 8:30:45PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I got mine.

Let this be a lessen. This event will have the smallest attendance at a Ufc Anaheim event in history.

Ufc better wise the Fuck up and add another big fight

Nelson vs kongo anyone

Post #30   1/3/13 9:11:20PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3