Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Eddie Alvarez Situation Still Not Settled, Dana White Expects Things to Get “Ugly”

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It appears Eddie Alvarez’s free agency won’t be coming to an end in the near future without a fight happening first but it’s not a battle in the cage.

No, the battle is likely to take place in negotiations because the former Bellator lightweight champion appears locked in a fight between the two suitors who both want to sign him.

Following Alvarez’s last fight, he officially became a free agent after competing under the Bellator banner for the last few years. While the promotion retained a matching period to offer Alvarez equal money to that of any other organization courting his services, they allowed him to seek out the best deal before they decided if they would try to re-sign him or not...

Full Story

Post #1   12/28/12 10:48:46AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Dana just get it done. Who cares how ugly it gets. Throw money at the dude.

Post #2   12/28/12 10:53:54AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,126-652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I agree. So many fans want to see him in the UFC, why risk losing a decent draw to the competition?

Post #3   12/28/12 11:04:56AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,239-734
Chips:
Danas a business man and a very smart guy. As I said in another thread. Alvarez needs money, it's the world we live in. The UFC doesn't need Alvarez. Bellator wants Alvarez. Alvarez's situation is simple if he goes to the UFC it won't be anywhere near the money he would expect from the best promotion in the world. If he stays in bellator he'll receive a pay increase and it'll be one hell of a lot more than the UFC but his future is shallow.

He needs to consider his own potential, can he risk a small pay packet with big money coming in later if he's successful, or just take good money with no real career risk.

Tough question and I'm sure many people have been in this position, in MMA and in any job in the world

Dirty Blue

Post #4   12/28/12 11:05:48AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:
For those that didn't read the article, there's nothing more Dana/UFC can do at the moment. The offer has been made and now Bellator has to decide whether they'll match or not.

Post #5   12/28/12 11:09:03AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,957-1,617
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I agree. So many fans want to see him in the UFC, why risk losing a decent draw to the competition?

Well put brother

Post #6   12/28/12 11:24:53AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,897-1,500
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Danas a business man and a very smart guy. As I said in another thread. Alvarez needs money, it's the world we live in. The UFC doesn't need Alvarez. Bellator wants Alvarez. Alvarez's situation is simple if he goes to the UFC it won't be anywhere near the money he would expect from the best promotion in the world. If he stays in bellator he'll receive a pay increase and it'll be one hell of a lot more than the UFC but his future is shallow.

He needs to consider his own potential, can he risk a small pay packet with big money coming in later if he's successful, or just take good money with no real career risk.

Tough question and I'm sure many people have been in this position, in MMA and in any job in the world

How much is Bellators offer compared to the UFC's again?

Post #7   12/28/12 11:52:44AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

For those that didn't read the article, there's nothing more Dana/UFC can do at the moment. The offer has been made and now Bellator has to decide whether they'll match or not.

I understand that (and read the article, whether or not you were calling me out for it)...my point was, whatever they come back with, top it, and continue to top it, until he's in the UFC. He's too big of a name and too good of a fighter to not be in the UFC and fighting with the best around.

Post #8   12/28/12 12:03:03PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by grappler0000

I understand that (and read the article, whether or not you were calling me out for it)...my point was, whatever they come back with, top it, and continue to top it, until he's in the UFC. He's too big of a name and too good of a fighter to not be in the UFC and fighting with the best around.

I wasn't trying to call you out, so I hope it didn't seem that way. There was just a general sense of the article not being read, based on the comments. As far as the bold above, I think that's exactly what will happen. When Dana said he expects it to get ugly, I believe that is the exact reason why.

Post #9   12/28/12 12:25:35PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by grappler0000

I wasn't trying to call you out, so I hope it didn't seem that way. There was just a general sense of the article not being read, based on the comments. As far as the bold above, I think that's exactly what will happen. When Dana said he expects it to get ugly, I believe that is the exact reason why.

Do they even have the option to make a counter offer should Bellator match the original offer? Generally when an organization has the option of matching an outside organization's offer, should they do so, they win the person's services so the outside org. has to toss a pretty high offer out there from the get go. I have ZERO idea how the Bellator matching offer thing works though, so I'm just speculating. For all I know, the UFC could very well be able to make a counter offer should Bellator match their original contract for Eddie, I'm just spitballing here.

Post #10   12/28/12 12:50:40PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:
To my understanding, Bellator has the opportunity to match any offers during the matching period. I don't believe there is a limit on the number of offers, although I'm not certain.

Post #11   12/28/12 1:07:23PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I dont think the Ufc needs him
They just got all strikeforce fighters. I hope they sign him
Eddie would be crazy to go back to bellator. I do think Dana will empty the bank for him.
Right now Alvarez vs Maynard or Diaz sounds good

Post #12   12/28/12 2:12:59PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by grappler0000

It sounded a little bit like it, but its cool, Im sure it wasnt intended. I just wanted to get my point across. It sounds like everyone just wants this to happen. I'd love to see him fight for the belt in his first UFC fight.

Last edited 12/28/12 2:14PM server time by Theoutlaw08
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   12/28/12 2:13:55PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:
I really hope he goes with the UFC and Bellator bows out. There are so many great match ups there for him. Although, I'd get excited for Alvarez vs. basically anyone in the LW division.

Post #14   12/28/12 2:44:02PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
they needs to make the fans happy and sign eddie. i dont really care if it gets ugly

Post #15   12/28/12 7:50:38PM