Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

What is a "Pure Sport"?

Print  
Posted By Message

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I was at the bar & a guy brings up that his uncle is a boxing trainer. I asked him if he ever trained any MMArtists & he said that his uncle would never train MMA bc it is not a "pure sport".

This got me wondering what exactly makes a pure sport & which sports qualify.

Thoughts?

( i only brought up the convo at the bar to inform everyone how the topic got brought up. i do not care to discuss the opinions of the trainer refusing to train MMA fighters. thanks!)

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #1   12/27/12 3:34:42PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yph0dbw5Grw

Last edited 12/27/12 4:46PM server time by the-king
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   12/27/12 4:46:07PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:
Should have asked him what a dying sport is

Post #3   12/27/12 4:49:26PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
That's just something old people (or their disciples) say to make their sport seem more meaningful. I'm assuming he just means a single discipline though. Of course, what does that mean? Boxing would be more pure than kickboxing, since it has those pesky kicks and all. Now, if someone were to invent a sport called Jabbing, they'd laugh their asses off at how unpure boxing was. It's all relative. If you want to be the best puncher in the world, do boxing. If you want to be the best fighter in the world, do MMA. How pure it is, is subjective.

Post #4   12/27/12 5:31:22PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I was at the bar & a guy brings up that his uncle is a boxing trainer. I asked him if he ever trained any MMArtists & he said that his uncle would never train MMA bc it is not a "pure sport".

This got me wondering what exactly makes a pure sport & which sports qualify.

Thoughts?

( i only brought up the convo at the bar to inform everyone how the topic got brought up. i do not care to discuss the opinions of the trainer refusing to train MMA fighters. thanks!)

Amateur & Olympic WRESTLING equates

Post #5   12/27/12 6:13:16PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Chips:
would Football be considered a pure sport w/ it having kickers or baseball having some guys only pitch & some guys only hit?

it is weird to try to figure out what constitutes a pure sport. i saw a website say that the olympics competitions are all pure sports, but as was previously said, it all seems debatable & a matter of opinion.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #6   12/27/12 7:15:38PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
imo a sport is where:
a) an opponent in preventing you from obtaining the objective
b) there is a risk of serious injury

Golf is the exception to the rule.

I guess a "pure sport" would be a 1-on-1 type sport where you can only rely on your own abilities to reach victory and can only blame yourself for defeat

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   12/27/12 8:07:22PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
There is serious irony when claiming purity in a sport that involves these men.

Post #8   12/27/12 9:34:32PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i think any of the traditional martial arts probably fall into that category. the ones that talk about the samurai spirit and shit like karate or kung fu. i personally think its a crock because when it comes down to it, martial arts should be nothing more than fighting between people either in sport or on a genuine battlefield. wrestling and boxing would probably fall in there too. i love MMA because when i go to the gym to train, we don't talk about chi or spirit we just kick, punch, and choke each other. very simple and rewarding.

Post #9   12/27/12 10:13:47PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Chips:
Tough question to ask / answer......I think pure sports is a classification to it being as closely related as possible to it's original conception or as close as it can be to a real life situation. MMA is more pure to me than most other combat sports because it more realistically depicts a real life unarmed fight between two people. Rules and regulations are needed to keep it fair and safe to ensure the safety of competitors of course. But for an example, if two people start fighting and a guy tries to grab you would you not punch him in the face or attempt to break his arm? If a guy hit you really hard would you not try to kick him in return? Fish hooking, hair pulling, groin kicking, jumping in, pulling weapons or attacking smaller folks are generally considered dirty fighting. So I love what MMA has turned in to and think only a couole of small changes would make it perfect (Cruiser weight division, more Women's divisions, and knee strikes to downed opponents being in the front of that line).

Post #10   12/28/12 12:57:14AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

That's just something old people (or their disciples) say to make their sport seem more meaningful.

I think this pretty much sums it up, but if I was forced to argue about something like this I guess I'd say that it would have to be a one on one sport. Something like a footrace, boxing match, swimming race, etc., where equipment doesn't play a big role would probably be the things I considered purest forms of sport if I had to take a stance on the issue. Again, though, I think grap nailed it with his assessment.

Post #11   12/28/12 1:28:22AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I got same response way back in highschool

Played lacrosse for years. People said it wasn't a pure sport cause it was a club sport. We eventually got cif
Sanctioned and officially became a hs sport not club

Post #12   12/29/12 8:29:28AM