Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Roy Nelson thinks 'two more rounds' with Junior dos Santos would have made 'a different fight'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Is Roy Nelson punch drunk or simply trolling for a rematch with UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior dos Santos in the future? Read his recent assessment of their lopsided fight at UFC 117 more than two years ago and decided for yourself.

"I think even back then, if I'd had two extra rounds, it could have been a different fight. I always care about the title shot, but that's the end game. For the most part, as long as you're fighting in the UFC, you're fighting the best in the world. Of course you want that belt, but it's not what defines you as a fighter."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   12/24/12 12:09:37PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I've just rewatched that fight and Roys right, two more rounds and he'd of ended up out cold. It was not competitive at all.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   12/24/12 12:11:18PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
Oh boy... Roy just don't.

Post #3   12/24/12 12:41:37PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
gassed fighters are more prone to being KO'd...especially at HW. JDS was looking pretty tired at the end and Nelson can end any fight with 1 punch. It's not that hard to believe, it's just unlikely

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #4   12/24/12 12:43:35PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
2 more rounds would mean that Roy's mouth would've (hopefully) been shut forever.

So sick of hearing from this guy. Glad TUF is done.

Post #5   12/24/12 12:59:02PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
It's possible. Roy has had fights where he's looking like he should just fall over and some how manages to not go down. He's more used to fighting like that IMO whereas JDS hasn't ever looked as fatigued as he did. It wouldn't have shocked me if Roy was able to keep taking punishment and then land a shot on a totally gassed JDS to finish the fight.

Pretty sure Roy caused more damage to JDS then any other fighter besides maybe Gonzaga. I don't remember it clearly enough. Pretty sure Gonzaga rocked and dropped JDS. Either way, it's hard to compare because Gonzaga didn't last long. He did appear to look like he might win the fight for a moment.

Roy landed several shots he just took waaaaaay more then he landed and he looked sloppy doing it.

Post #6   12/24/12 1:07:41PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,493-865
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I hope JDS has improved his cardio since then. Velazquez can keep a pretty nasty pace.

I remember the JDS/Country fight. JDS was gassed but Country didn't look much quicker towards the end after eating umpteen uppercuts to the chin.

Country looks like a brawler not a boxer. I don't think 2 more rounds would help much but they call it a puncher's chance for a reason.

Post #7   12/24/12 1:46:42PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
no shit sherlock... if you give any fighter an X number of extra rounds they have an extra chance of possibly finishing the fight. but guess what roy only got 3 rounds and got your ass kicked all 3.

Post #8   12/24/12 2:02:33PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He would have been knocked out within two more rounds

Post #9   12/24/12 2:10:37PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,478-860
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think for JDS that was the best fight of his career. He never lost confidence in his KO power but I think,just looking at his face during that fight,he knew that wasn't enough to win that fight and probably wouldn't be enough to win every fight that would come his way.

Post #10   12/24/12 3:40:37PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

It's possible. Roy has had fights where he's looking like he should just fall over and some how manages to not go down. He's more used to fighting like that IMO whereas JDS hasn't ever looked as fatigued as he did. It wouldn't have shocked me if Roy was able to keep taking punishment and then land a shot on a totally gassed JDS to finish the fight.

Pretty sure Roy caused more damage to JDS then any other fighter besides maybe Gonzaga. I don't remember it clearly enough. Pretty sure Gonzaga rocked and dropped JDS. Either way, it's hard to compare because Gonzaga didn't last long. He did appear to look like he might win the fight for a moment.

Roy landed several shots he just took waaaaaay more then he landed and he looked sloppy doing it.

Gonzaga never came close to rocking or dropping JDS

Post #11   12/24/12 4:24:40PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:

Posted by king_katool

Posted by MaxOne

Gonzaga never came close to rocking or dropping JDS

was it carwin that he dropped?

it was, huh. Lo Siento. So in that case was there anyone that gave JDS any trouble?

Post #12   12/24/12 4:30:36PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Gonzaga rocked and dropped Carwin.

Post #13   12/24/12 4:30:49PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

I disagree. Roy landed some shots, but none came close to doing any heavy damage. IMO Mirko done more damage than anyone.

Post #14   12/24/12 5:00:28PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by MaxOne

I disagree. Roy landed some shots, but none came close to doing any heavy damage. IMO Mirko done more damage than anyone.

see, now I need to rewatch that. I can't remember much about that fight.

Post #15   12/24/12 5:14:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2