Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Unsafe Amateurs: The Need for a Federal Overhaul

Print  
Posted By Message

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
The mark of any mainstream sport is the bifurcation of its amateur and professional ranks. How many of us remember Adrian Peterson rushing for almost 2,000 yards as a true freshman at the University of Oklahoma, a feat he is currently on track to complete for the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings? Tiger Woods cleaned up on golf’s amateur circuit before hitting a record under par at his first major championship victory at the Masters in 1997. Amateur sports allow fans to see the growth and maturation of their favorite athletes. It is a rich tradition that in theory allows athletes to hone their skills absent the economic minutia of professional sports.

Mixed martial arts wants to be considered a mainstream sport. Even its combat sports sibling, boxing, has lauded amateur competitions such as the Golden Gloves and the Olympics. Because of this, many think amateur MMA is a worthy endeavor. The view of amateur MMA is that it affords up-and-coming fighters the same benefits of typical amateur competition: more rules, greater margin for error, increased parity and an overall better environment to hone one’s craft. Closer examination of the rules and how the events are in practice, however, reveals that amateur MMA is a costly endeavor for the fighters involved.

Like professional MMA, there is no nationwide governing body that regulates amateur MMA. Unlike professional MMA, however, a unified rules system for amateur events has not gained major traction. Individual state athletic commissions are the arbiters on how MMA is run within their jurisdictions. Some states have their own rules, some states have adopted the Association of Boxing Commissions’ amateur MMA rules and some states have exercised zero oversight.

full story

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #1   12/24/12 12:00:36AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
Washington state has started to take the amateur MMA rules serious. the latest thing is the requirement of blood tests and physicals as well as licenses for the fighters, cornermen, and coaches. im not sure what to think of it yet, seems like a good idea so far.

Post #2   12/24/12 2:21:47AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,395-802
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think it would definitely help legitimize the sport. I think too many people still think of mma as a mix between a bar brawl and professional wrestling. It would be nice if I could discuss mma at work the same as I do football without getting a stink eye.

Post #3   12/24/12 10:38:48AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
PA has very strict rules. No kicks to the head fighters were shin gear. No strikes to the head of a grounded fighter. No elbows.

Post #4   12/24/12 10:54:47AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

I think it would definitely help legitimize the sport. I think too many people still think of mma as a mix between a bar brawl and professional wrestling. It would be nice if I could discuss mma at work the same as I do football without getting a stink eye.

Amature MMA is sometimes a mix of a bar room brawl and pro wrestling

Post #5   12/24/12 10:55:36AM