Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Pat Barry engages in productive and educational dialogue with racist fan

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,713-961
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC Heavyweight Pat Barry received a racist message from a "fan" and replied in his own inimitable fashion.

Link

Post #1   12/21/12 8:57:14PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,788-1,563
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Way to stoop to this guy's level...

Post #2   12/21/12 9:06:48PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I don't get the mayonnaise thing at the end?!
Still like the guy though! Why not play the race card back in a sarcastic way? I seriously doubt he's racist, prob just pissed off from the comment.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   12/21/12 11:18:37PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,629
Chips:
The guy supported Barry until he found out he was '"Halfrican"......what a butthole! I wish the dude had said that shit to Pat's face!!

Post #4   12/22/12 12:01:52AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I don't get the mayonnaise thing at the end?!
Still like the guy though! Why not play the race card back in a sarcastic way? I seriously doubt he's racist, prob just pissed off from the comment.

Maybe it's just a south thing, but I have heard friends in the south be called mayonnaise eaters and how only white people like mayonnaise.

Miguel Torres got cut for Rape van jokes from a TV show, surely Barry should get suspended for his own dumb remarks regarding racism or because he's Pat Barry he'll get a pass.

Post #5   12/22/12 12:16:00AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,810-1,057
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Fighting ignorance with ignorance doesn't solve anything really. It also doesn't do anybody any harm in this case.

I think the suspension suggestion is a bit harsh.

Well played HD

Post #6   12/22/12 8:36:49AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,512-1,449
Chips:
Before we chastise HD for what he said or for stooping to this guys level, let me put up a couple of quotes from Pat after he read some people talking about him fighting racism with racism.

"I forgot to say something about drinking 40's on the porch, and being the president!!!
But I would like you all to know that I sent him a tupac video. I'm also planning on sending him Antoine Dodson video every day for 8 years!!!

- I didn't get upset. It didn't hurt my feelings. Bad kids need attention to, and I obliged. As a matter of fact mom gave me a few ideas for a response, but those were rated R!!! If you didn't notice the sarcasm and humor in my response, I'm sorry. I thought I was being pretty obvious with the whole fast runnin nigga feet part. But apparently not, or some of you don't know me and aren't accustomed to me responses to trolls and shitheads!!!
Hopefully after reading this your insulted hurt feelings will feel better. If not, go shmoke a blunt and find some big booty HO's to twerk sumfin fa ya, ya herd!!!"

and

"Hey everybody, I was reading through these while eating caviar, peach cobbler, and hotwaaangs. And I wanted to clarify a few things.
1) I have a regular average spotted cow peepee
2) I have a huuuuuuuge tongue that never quits
3) I've got both extremes in my family. The far left that don't fuck with me cause I'm half black, live in a trailer, have medical degrees, and love fake boobies. The far right with tattoo'd faces, gold teeth, illegal guns, professional lawyers, and mounds of child support subpoenas.
4) I've only been a zebra for a few years.
5) I'm also a sellout sometimes!!! If the clan walk in this bitch I'm white as fuck, just work in the sun sometimes. If the Brothas show up I'm black as a mug just been living in Minnesota to long!!!

For those who are still upset, just remember, I'm half black and half white so that means I'm smart and athletic.

But I didn't say which one was which!!!
I'll bet you've already put the 2 colors in which category u think is right!!!

Point is, AIN'T THIS SHIT JUST SILLY!!!

Still thinking about it HUH?
YAHHH YOU ARE, I can't believe y'all!
I'm telling moma!!!"

The guy was just being funny as usual, not trying to be malicious or racist. I've met Pat on more than a few occasions and he's the nicest, most down to earth guy you can imagine, every bit as cool as he comes off as on tv, maybe more. Our differences can be funny guys. Everything gets so blown out of proportion because people seem to think that we have to be politically correct to be decent humans. If we can laugh at ourselves, we can laugh at others, and really, as long as we're laughing then life should be good and we should all be happy.

Post #7   12/22/12 10:49:24AM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,713-961
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Before we chastise HD for what he said or for stooping to this guys level, let me put up a couple of quotes from Pat after he read some people talking about him fighting racism with racism.

"I forgot to say something about drinking 40's on the porch, and being the president!!!
But I would like you all to know that I sent him a tupac video. I'm also planning on sending him Antoine Dodson video every day for 8 years!!!

- I didn't get upset. It didn't hurt my feelings. Bad kids need attention to, and I obliged. As a matter of fact mom gave me a few ideas for a response, but those were rated R!!! If you didn't notice the sarcasm and humor in my response, I'm sorry. I thought I was being pretty obvious with the whole fast runnin nigga feet part. But apparently not, or some of you don't know me and aren't accustomed to me responses to trolls and shitheads!!!
Hopefully after reading this your insulted hurt feelings will feel better. If not, go shmoke a blunt and find some big booty HO's to twerk sumfin fa ya, ya herd!!!"

and

"Hey everybody, I was reading through these while eating caviar, peach cobbler, and hotwaaangs. And I wanted to clarify a few things.
1) I have a regular average spotted cow peepee
2) I have a huuuuuuuge tongue that never quits
3) I've got both extremes in my family. The far left that don't fuck with me cause I'm half black, live in a trailer, have medical degrees, and love fake boobies. The far right with tattoo'd faces, gold teeth, illegal guns, professional lawyers, and mounds of child support subpoenas.
4) I've only been a zebra for a few years.
5) I'm also a sellout sometimes!!! If the clan walk in this bitch I'm white as fuck, just work in the sun sometimes. If the Brothas show up I'm black as a mug just been living in Minnesota to long!!!

For those who are still upset, just remember, I'm half black and half white so that means I'm smart and athletic.

But I didn't say which one was which!!!
I'll bet you've already put the 2 colors in which category u think is right!!!

Point is, AIN'T THIS SHIT JUST SILLY!!!

Still thinking about it HUH?
YAHHH YOU ARE, I can't believe y'all!
I'm telling moma!!!"

The guy was just being funny as usual, not trying to be malicious or racist. I've met Pat on more than a few occasions and he's the nicest, most down to earth guy you can imagine, every bit as cool as he comes off as on tv, maybe more. Our differences can be funny guys. Everything gets so blown out of proportion because people seem to think that we have to be politically correct to be decent humans. If we can laugh at ourselves, we can laugh at others, and really, as long as we're laughing then life should be good and we should all be happy.

I agree with everything you said! I was surprised to see so many people taking Barry so seriously.

Post #8   12/22/12 11:42:28AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
There is something to be said for bad racist humor, which definitely exists, but when you are the affected "race" either making fun of yourself, or highlighting the insanity of racism by making fun of other races (fine line, I know, but it can be done), that can definitely drive home the point.

Pat Berry is clearly not being racist, he is using the devices of the offender to show the absurdity of the situation. I think stuff like this is a hilarious.

Post #9   12/22/12 3:55:00PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:891-507
Chips:

Posted by warglory

There is something to be said for bad racist humor, which definitely exists, but when you are the affected "race" either making fun of yourself, or highlighting the insanity of racism by making fun of other races (fine line, I know, but it can be done), that can definitely drive home the point.

Pat Berry is clearly not being racist, he is using the devices of the offender to show the absurdity of the situation. I think stuff like this is a hilarious.

Post #10   12/23/12 7:43:39PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,384-1,280
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
At the events there is probably 75% of the fans that
Dont know shit and 95% that can't name every fighter on the card they are seeing

Post #11   12/24/12 2:16:06PM