Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

St-Pierre: I can't fight everybody at once, so Diaz best fight for right now

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
St-Pierre, who UFC President Dana White said asked for the matchup, said his logic is simple. He believes a fight with Diaz is the matchup fans want to see.

"This fight has been waiting to happen for a long time," St-Pierre said. "It's the big fight. That's what people want to see.

"Everybody wants to fight me now. It's crazy. I cannot split myself in half. If I would have not have done that, I would do another fight, and fans would have complained. If I fight another guy, they both would have complained. What do you want me to do? I cannot split myself in different pieces and fight guys all at the same time."

St-Pierre and Diaz were, of course, supposed to fight in 2011 before the challenger was pulled from the matchup for infamously failing to handle his pre-fight obligations. Diaz would eventually go on to lose to Carlos Condit and suffer a yearlong suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission after failing a post-fight drug screen.

Meanwhile, Hendricks is riding a five-fight win streak that includes victories over top contenders Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck and Martin Kampmann, among others.

Still, St-Pierre insists he believes Diaz is the rightful No. 1 contender based on his career accomplishments and the face that "Rush" thinks Hendricks actually lost a razor-thin decision to Koscheck.

"I believe Diaz is No. 1 ranked," St-Pierre told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "The guy has been there for a long time. He took out a great name (in B.J. Penn). His fight with Condit is very controversial. For some people, he won the fight. For some people, he lost.

"Hendricks, when he fought Koscheck, personally I would have given the fight to Koscheck. … I speak with my heart, and that's what I believe. I would have given Koscheck that fight, even though I don't like Koscheck."

Which led St-Pierre to Diaz. He still thinks Hendricks is likely next should he earn a win over Jake Ellenberger in another big fight on the UFC 158 card. He also knows Silva is lurking in the background, but St-Pierre thinks he'll need time to pack on the muscle necessary to compete with the world's best 185-pounder.

After a lengthy time away from the sport to recover from injury, St-Pierre said he simply doesn't want to take that kind of break right now. He's itching to fight, and Diaz provides the perfect opportunity.

"I do feel bad for Johny Hendricks, but put yourself in my shoes," St-Pierre. "[Diaz] is a big fight. For me, right now, it's the fight that makes the most sense. If I fight Anderson Silva, I have to go up in weight. It will take me time. I cannot fight Anderson in March. It would take time. So right now, I take the fight that is the most logical.

"I just came back from 19 months. It's a long time, and the fight that people wanted to see that I can give it to them fast and when it's time to do it is Diaz. … So it's a big fight that people want to see me in, Diaz and I, so I want to make this fight happen for myself, for the fans and for the UFC."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   12/16/12 8:58:05PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
there are a shit load of fans that want to see diaz fight GSP. im glad that GSP is interested in what the fans really want. i dont like diaz getting a title shot just because of all his BS with retiring and after losing to condit. it just doesnt seem fair to the other top guys at WW

Post #2   12/16/12 9:11:16PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Its hard not to like GSP and after watching the full interview he makes some good points! People have been screaming about Diaz vs GSO since it was announced the first time round. Diaz is a tough dude, an idiot, but still a tough, tough guy. He's not the push over people are making him out to be and he's not the easy fight people are crying about.
GSP has hinted this is for purely selfish reasons, he's said he wants to put an end to DIaz's smack talk so why not let him?
An looking at it from GSP's point of view he'll pull in way more PPV buys than Hendricks no question, so he's also the most financially tempting offer outside of the Silva fight.

Also GSP gets some serious 's up from me for basically telling Silva and Hendricks to take a ticket and wait in line! Just like every other champ has done so far!
In my opinion Hendricks was lucky with the Kos fight, and another split over Pierce doesn't exactly back up his new "doom bringer" status.
I get he tKO'd Fitch and Kampmann so theirs no doubt the guy has power but he seriously struggled against Kos and Pierce who both would get their asses handed to them grappling with GSP.

The Fitch fight was over before it could begin so other than the fact that we found out Fitch can be stopped if you hit him with bomb that fight showed nothing we didn't already know. The Kampmann fight showed Hendricks could link together faints and combos but Kampmann offered hardly any offensive threat grappling wise so Hendricks could open up whenever he wanted. If he fights like that against GSP he'd spend 99% of his time eating elbows and defending sub attempts from GSP on top.

My point is give GSP a break, the dude just came back from an injury that would have retired lesser men, he's been called out by everyone who was scared to call him out when he was healthy and now he's gone after a grudge match (be it ill timed) and people are saying he's scared!

Give the guy a break, if Hendricks really is the next champ he'll have no problem dealing with Ellenburger and can fight GSP after.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   12/16/12 9:19:33PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Its hard not to like GSP and after watching the full interview he makes some good points! People have been screaming about Diaz vs GSO since it was announced the first time round. Diaz is a tough dude, an idiot, but still a tough, tough guy. He's not the push over people are making him out to be and he's not the easy fight people are crying about.
GSP has hinted this is for purely selfish reasons, he's said he wants to put an end to DIaz's smack talk so why not let him?
An looking at it from GSP's point of view he'll pull in way more PPV buys than Hendricks no question, so he's also the most financially tempting offer outside of the Silva fight.

Also GSP gets some serious 's up from me for basically telling Silva and Hendricks to take a ticket and wait in line! Just like every other champ has done so far!
In my opinion Hendricks was lucky with the Kos fight, and another split over Pierce doesn't exactly back up his new "doom bringer" status.
I get he tKO'd Fitch and Kampmann so theirs no doubt the guy has power but he seriously struggled against Kos and Pierce who both would get their asses handed to them grappling with GSP.

The Fitch fight was over before it could begin so other than the fact that we found out Fitch can be stopped if you hit him with bomb that fight showed nothing we didn't already know. The Kampmann fight showed Hendricks could link together faints and combos but Kampmann offered hardly any offensive threat grappling wise so Hendricks could open up whenever he wanted. If he fights like that against GSP he'd spend 99% of his time eating elbows and defending sub attempts from GSP on top.

My point is give GSP a break, the dude just came back from an injury that would have retired lesser men, he's been called out by everyone who was scared to call him out when he was healthy and now he's gone after a grudge match (be it ill timed) and people are saying he's scared!

Give the guy a break, if Hendricks really is the next champ he'll have no problem dealing with Ellenburger and can fight GSP after.

I pretty much agree with you. As a fight fan I want to see Diaz vs GSP. From the financial point of view, yeah, I can definitely see it getting a ton more PPV buys than any other fight he could take other than against Silva. That is another fight that as a fan, I want to see, but as far as putting 2 divisions on hold, I'm glad GSP is staying at 170 to defend the belt.

That said, I do think Hendricks did get overlooked a little bit here, and honestly the thing that bugs me the most with Diaz, a guy coming off a loss, getting the title shot, is that with Diaz getting the shot coming off a loss, and Sonnen getting the shot coming off a loss in another division without any fights at 205, is that it could set a precedent where the most deserving guy may continuously get over looked for the guy that the fans want to see because it'll make more money. I understand it's a business, and there is money to be made, I'd just prefer that fights like this only happen once in a while and see that more often than not it is the rightful number one contender.

I'm happy that we are finally going to see Diaz vs GSP, I'm just concerned that there will be more situations in the future where the rightful number one gets the shaft for a fighter that is less deserving but will draw more ppv buys.

Post #4   12/16/12 9:49:21PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:

I don't like GSP fighting Diaz on the purpose he lost to Condit fair n square and got suspended for a year, and during that Year Hendricks has been knocking out legit contenders.

This isn't Bellator though, and titleshot's are sometimes given.

Post #5   12/16/12 9:50:01PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I can't agree with Diaz getting a title shot, he frankly doesn't deserve it coming off a loss and a suspension but I'm all for it because GSP is going to dominate this fight from start to finish and we can finally stop hearing about how he is a legitimate threat. George will outclass him just like Benson did to his little brother.

Post #6   12/16/12 11:27:32PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Whatever it takes to get the division moving again....personally don't see Diaz making it the decision with all the elbows he is going to eat, dude cuts too easily and it will probably end with a tko (non controversial) followed by Diaz bitching about wrestling and how elbows shouldn't be allowed.
I am sure Hendricks will be next if he gets past Ellenberger. Silva vs GSP will most likely never happen, hopefully Silva will face Jones. Then maybe Jones will go up to HW.

Post #7   12/17/12 12:45:05AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

well said

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   12/17/12 1:53:15AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

. Silva vs GSP will most likely never happen

You know, honestly, as much as I want to this fight as a fan, I woud also very much like it if it never happened. These are 2 of the longest reigning and most dominant champions ever, and honestly, it would suck for one of them to end the other's streak, and it would likely hurt them more than help them if they fight. Then people will be like "Yeah well, he isn't as good as everybody thought look what Silva/GSP did to him". Its hard to sell both of them as the most dominant champions of all time when one of them loses to the other. Supporters of both fighters would make excuses if their fighter lost. With GSP it would likely be "well he was fighting someone bigger and stronger than him", with Silva fans it would likely be "well he's 38 years old. Let's see GSP beat a prime silva". As much as I want this fight, I almost would rather it be left to the imagination.

Post #9   12/17/12 3:40:17AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,771-929
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

I don't like GSP fighting Diaz on the purpose he lost to Condit fair n square and got suspended for a year, and during that Year Hendricks has been knocking out legit contenders.

I agree completely. Hendricks earned his shot. Diaz is given one off of a loss. The same thing is happening with Chael and Jones. He doesn't deserve that title shot. Gives credence to the idea that MMA isn't a legitimate sport so much as sports entertainment. Chael cuts the best promo, so he gets the shot. Diaz is the 'bad boy', so he gets the shot.

Post #10   12/17/12 7:25:55AM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,064-693
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:

Posted by Bythar

Posted by frizzzlecake

I agree completely. Hendricks earned his shot. Diaz is given one off of a loss. The same thing is happening with Chael and Jones. He doesn't deserve that title shot. Gives credence to the idea that MMA isn't a legitimate sport so much as sports entertainment. Chael cuts the best promo, so he gets the shot. Diaz is the 'bad boy', so he gets the shot.

I agree, I think what it boils down to is money, GSP knows fighting diaz will get him more money and we all know dana's up for bringing in more money. i.e. sonnen vs. Jones

Post #11   12/17/12 7:49:03AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Guy hasn't fought in 19 months
He finally fought last month. I'm just glad he will be back in the cage sooner than later

Post #12   12/17/12 8:02:30AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I know GSP wanted Diaz even before Condit, so no suprise it's happening.

But, I'd rather it be more fair. I would just hate to see Hendricks lose his chance at a title shot b/c he keeps getting passed over and maybe he loses a fight before he got a shot.

Post #13   12/17/12 12:15:33PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Hendricks could have held out until August to fight for the title like he said not too long ago. He instead chose to risk his chance at a title shot

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   12/17/12 2:34:10PM   

spang714

MMA Regular

spang714 Avatar

Career:618-359
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
As a big Hendricks honk, I obviously think he deserves the next shot, however, I am intrigued by GSP/Diaz....and there still is a good chance that Diaz fucks up again and my homeboy Bigg Rigg steps right in...

Post #15   12/17/12 9:22:02PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2