Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jake Ellenberger vs. Johny Hendricks Announced For UFC 158 In Montreal

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Hendricks UD imo.

Although a hard fought one.

Physically they are close but I'm giving Hendricks the slightest of edges

Post #16   12/16/12 9:33:14AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by PaulieG

Test for Hendricks before he KOS GSP

like this?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #17   12/16/12 10:53:05AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I got Hendricks all day on this one. I think he's better in all facets, especially in his jiu jitsu as he mentioned earlier

Post #18   12/16/12 11:30:43AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
Interesting. If chins and power were out the equation I'd give it to Elleberger, he has a much well rounded skill-set with kicks and knees. Hendricks is a very one dimensional boxer he's starting to mix it up a bit more with faints and combos as seen in the Kos and Kampmann fight.

A gassed Ellenberger has a bad pain threshold, a gassed Hendricks is very flat footed and isn't going to posses that one punch KO power.

This is going to be a very tough fight to call, and everything I've said assumes the wrestling is going to neutralised and the two will be forced to stand and trade
If Hendricks can KO Ellenberger whilst Jakes using technical striking he will only do that with good footwork ao in my eyes he would have done enough to convince me he won't be on the identical end to a Koscheck beating (being jabbed in the face for 25 minutes)

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #19   12/16/12 12:52:26PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I like Hendricks for this based on their similar base styles, their recent performances and the momentum (or lack thereof) each carries into the fight.

Ellenberger did what he needed to do against Jay Hieron following the loss to Martin Kampmann. He stayed patient, conserved his energy, blasted Hieron with carefully chosen shots and shrugged off everything Hieron threw. He's certainly had more impressive and decisive victories, but that also came at the risk of getting clipped or taken down.

The question for Ellenberger is whether he's mentally reset himself to how he was right after the KO of Jake Shields, and if he's since added more tools to his striking. He hits like a train, sure, but he's a total in-fighter. His punches are usually the plant-and-swing boxer variety, not the probing or lunging ones that can catch guys on the run. He can swarm, but that's usually set up by a short range shot (and doesn't always finish, as in the Kampmann fight).

Hendricks, on the other hand, is not only a beastly power puncher, he's a swarmer as well. He's shown good pursuit and range in his last few fights, and he knows how to joust (as shown in the Pierce fight). I think his best bet is to keep using his footwork and effective range, especially if Ellenberger hunkers down and starts swinging stationary hooks. While his chin is solid, Ellenberger's striking still has (and will likely always have) that similar crushing power.

On a parting note, if Hendricks wins as I think he will, it would be horrendous if he didn't get the next title shot. I feel he's already earned this one, so if for some reason Zuffa sets up GSP/MacDonald as the student vs the master, or Diaz/MacDonald as the student's revenge, they'd be going a bit too far for the money train. Ultimately it is a business, but let's keep the GSP/Diaz and Bones/Sonnen fights as what they are - exceptions and not the rule.

Post #20   12/16/12 1:24:06PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Talk about a murders row of fighters to get a crack at the belt

Fitch kos kammpman and Ellenburger
Ufc should have allowed johnny to face a can for the event
Or at least give him like matt brown or John Hathaway

Post #21   12/16/12 2:29:29PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Doesn't make sense giving him someone so much lower in the rankings than himself.

Post #22   12/16/12 2:35:09PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Why give him an easy fight? All that would do is weaken his claim to the number 2 spot especially when the likes of Fitch, Maia, Rory an others are all lined up to fight top ranked guys. Rory is seriously 1 win away from a hell of a strong claim to the number 2 spot. Fitch with a win over Maia isn't far behind especially after how he drummed Silva. So with an easy fight Hendricks could fall victim to the what have you done recently side of the ufc board!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #23   12/16/12 8:46:14PM   

spang714

MMA Regular

spang714 Avatar

Career:633-367
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I like Hendricks close on points...maybe split dec...Ellenbergers tough

Post #24   12/17/12 9:26:00PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2