Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Pranked Nurse Commits Suicide

Print  
Are the radio DJ's to blame for the nurse's suicide?
Yes 6 24%
No 19 76%
Posted By Message

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:786-498
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So these Aussie "shock jocks" prank called the hospital that Kate Middleton is staying at, and as a result the nurse who took the call (she wasn't the one who divulged the info) killed herself.

LINK

The show has been cancelled and companies are pulling sponsorship from the network.

Is it me, or is this all bullshit? I listened to the call and it seemed pretty innocent to me. This is a huge cop-out, and I don't think these DJ's should be held accountable at all for this nurse killing herself.

What do you guys think?

Post #1   12/10/12 11:50:46AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:
Wow, a truly killer prank

Post #2   12/10/12 12:32:45PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Not responsible .

She was clearly not ok in the mind

Post #3   12/10/12 1:20:46PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
there is no way somebody with zero problems gets a prank call one day and suddenly decides to kill them self. there had to be some underlying problems long before the call like serious depression or family issues. was the call completely innocent? no, but they had no idea they were calling and mentally unstable person (no offense). that sucks for the DJ's too because obviously they feel like shit about even though i dont believe its their fault.

Post #4   12/10/12 1:31:06PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Chips:
I thought they just suspended themselves, but I could see it getting canceled, just to calm things over.

I don't think they should be held accountable, but I definitely could see some sort of civil lawsuit going down.

Post #5   12/10/12 1:42:52PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:700-343
Chips:
Should the DJ's be held legally "liable" for the call? No.
Was it in extremely poor taste as far as pranks go? Yes
Should radio shock DJs reconsider stuff like this in the future? Yes

Hear me out.

Pranks are fine when everyone can laugh about them and when it's done with a private person that doesn't have anything tangible to lose.

In this case, the prank had professional consequences for the nurse. She was covering switchboard (not her job) at a hospital that is renowned for it's privacy and confidentiality policies and has established itself with the Royal Family for these reasons. The prank call caused the nurse to compromise herself professionally and then have her error exposed on a public level for ridicule. It likely affected her job. It wasn't just some 'hah hah, good one, ya got me' situation - it was public and professional humiliation on a national (and even international) level across social media. I'm sure she was hauled up by supervisors who had to internally address what went wrong in procedure, plus god knows what people were saying to her at work in general. People are always oversensitive when it comes to the Royal family as it is.

I'm sure she was depressed and had existing issues, but this probably just tipped her over the edge. Maybe her life was crap and her workplace was the only space where she felt happy/secure. You shouldn't f#ck with people's jobs for a cheap laugh.

No doubt the DJs feel awful about it and didn't intend for anything like this to happen, but it's more of a wake-up call about the damage can be done with some of these pranks. And when it becomes an international laugh-fest at your expense, it's hard to know how anyone might really feel until you end up as the victim of such a joke.

Post #6   12/10/12 2:02:42PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by DancingDoll

Hear me out.

Pranks are fine when everyone can laugh about them and when it's done with a private person that doesn't have anything tangible to lose.

In this case, the prank had professional consequences for the nurse. She was covering switchboard (not her job) at a hospital that is renowned for it's privacy and confidentiality policies and has established itself with the Royal Family for these reasons. The prank call caused the nurse to compromise herself professionally and then have her error exposed on a public level for ridicule. It likely affected her job. It wasn't just some 'hah hah, good one, ya got me' situation - it was public and professional humiliation on a national (and even international) level across social media. I'm sure she was hauled up by supervisors who had to internally address what went wrong in procedure, plus god knows what people were saying to her at work in general. People are always oversensitive when it comes to the Royal family as it is.

I'm sure she was depressed and had existing issues, but this probably just tipped her over the edge. Maybe her life was crap and her workplace was the only space where she felt happy/secure. You shouldn't f#ck with people's jobs for a cheap laugh.

No doubt the DJs feel awful about it and didn't intend for anything like this to happen, but it's more of a wake-up call about the damage can be done with some of these pranks. And when it becomes an international laugh-fest at your expense, it's hard to know how anyone might really feel until you end up as the victim of such a joke.

And how does one become "renowned for it's privacy and confidentiality policies"? By enforcing them to a level with which the royal family is content. The fact that the prank was successful is the hospital's fault, the nurse shouldn't have been assigned to do a job she wasn't familiar with.

Post #7   12/10/12 2:29:33PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by DancingDoll

Hear me out.

And how does one become "renowned for it's privacy and confidentiality policies"? By enforcing them to a level with which the royal family is content. The fact that the prank was successful is the hospital's fault, the nurse shouldn't have been assigned to do a job she wasn't familiar with.

Here's the thing... someone makes a mistake on the job. Some little immigrant indian nurse who dedicated her life to helping others was asked to cover for someone on Switchboard that day and ended up believing the DJs when they called... because she probably had no reason to suspect someone would lie to her and try to put one over on the hospital. I'm not saying she didn't make a mistake, but the whole thing was taped... and then the DJs and their 'team' sat down and reviewed the tape and decided it was worth publishing across international social media. Cause it was so "funny" that they tricked this poor nurse and caused her to make a mistake on the job. A mistake that she would have been held liable for by the hospital administration and possibly lose her job over... Cause when was the last time your company decided that it must be *their* fault for not training you properly when you screw on the job. Most don't. Regardless of what they might have said, she obviously took the onus of guilt upon herself. The DJs could have reviewed the audio and decided, 'hey, ya know what - this woman might lose her job over this, maybe we should leave it alone'... That's where the issue comes in. It's international public humiliation on the shoulders of one poor nurse. She's not an entertainer or a politician or anyone who's used to dealing with public ridicule on this scale and knows to expect it with the terrain. I would have had the same opinion even if she hadn't killed herself. It you're going to affect someone's livelihood for a cheap laugh, it just isn't worth it. They simply shouldn't have aired the tape.

Post #8   12/10/12 3:01:07PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Chips:
Sad joke, but ultimately she took her own life, the djs didn't kill her

Post #9   12/10/12 3:30:51PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:924-612
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
for starters, the person who thought it's a good idea to prank a hospital should be shot. a hospital is a place where the sick and injured are, they don't need a radio station calling and goofing around. i would think there's a law agianst such acts, but i geuss this will be a case where there is no law until someone's dumb enough to do it

Post #10   12/10/12 4:41:47PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:786-498
Chips:
Haha

Last edited 12/10/12 7:10PM server time by jakewalters
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #11   12/10/12 7:08:46PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by DancingDoll

Posted by jay98107

Posted by DancingDoll

Hear me out.

Here's the thing... someone makes a mistake on the job. Some little immigrant indian nurse who dedicated her life to helping others was asked to cover for someone on Switchboard that day and ended up believing the DJs when they called... because she probably had no reason to suspect someone would lie to her and try to put one over on the hospital. I'm not saying she didn't make a mistake, but the whole thing was taped... and then the DJs and their 'team' sat down and reviewed the tape and decided it was worth publishing across international social media. Cause it was so "funny" that they tricked this poor nurse and caused her to make a mistake on the job. A mistake that she would have been held liable for by the hospital administration and possibly lose her job over... Cause when was the last time your company decided that it must be *their* fault for not training you properly when you screw on the job. Most don't. Regardless of what they might have said, she obviously took the onus of guilt upon herself. The DJs could have reviewed the audio and decided, 'hey, ya know what - this woman might lose her job over this, maybe we should leave it alone'... That's where the issue comes in. It's international public humiliation on the shoulders of one poor nurse. She's not an entertainer or a politician or anyone who's used to dealing with public ridicule on this scale and knows to expect it with the terrain. I would have had the same opinion even if she hadn't killed herself. It you're going to affect someone's livelihood for a cheap laugh, it just isn't worth it. They simply shouldn't have aired the tape.

To me this is a scenario where hindsight is 20/20. When listening to that prank call, I don't think many people would have assumed suicide would be the result. It seemed mostly innocent to me. When the DJ's listened to the tape, I'm sure they thought the same thing, and it is their job to get a laugh out of people. I'm not sure that every victim of a Jerky Boys prank call has committed suicide, nor has every idiot in the last 20 years featured on Leno's "Jaywalking". These people are also not "entertainers or politicians". Furthermore, I do place some responsibility on those fielding the calls, regardless of whether or not that is their typical job. We know how the tabloids work, we know the type of media scrutiny that the royal family faces. When William leaves that hospital, there are so many flash bulbs going off that it looks like he's walking through a strobe light. If this hospital has earned the trust of the royal family, I'm sure that those working there are somewhat aware that paparazzi and other hooligans may take the role of a charlatan in order to get a scoop on the royal family. I would be shocked if this were the first time that some jackass attempted to call the royal family or contact them through deception or other shady means.

Post #12   12/10/12 7:36:50PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

To me this is a scenario where hindsight is 20/20. When listening to that prank call, I don't think many people would have assumed suicide would be the result. It seemed mostly innocent to me. When the DJ's listened to the tape, I'm sure they thought the same thing, and it is their job to get a laugh out of people. I'm not sure that every victim of a Jerky Boys prank call has committed suicide, nor has every idiot in the last 20 years featured on Leno's "Jaywalking". These people are also not "entertainers or politicians". Furthermore, I do place some responsibility on those fielding the calls, regardless of whether or not that is their typical job. We know how the tabloids work, we know the type of media scrutiny that the royal family faces. When William leaves that hospital, there are so many flash bulbs going off that it looks like he's walking through a strobe light. If this hospital has earned the trust of the royal family, I'm sure that those working there are somewhat aware that paparazzi and other hooligans may take the role of a charlatan in order to get a scoop on the royal family. I would be shocked if this were the first time that some jackass attempted to call the royal family or contact them through deception or other shady means.

A lot of those other pranks don't usually endanger people's jobs and livelihood. Nor does it hit international airwaves and get picked up because of the subject matter (Kate's pregnancy). I think that's part of it - the magnitude of it... (which the radio "team" should have taken into account). I'm honestly not a sensitive type when it comes to stuff like this. And I don't think the DJs need to be vilified or persecuted as they are by some people. It's a sad situation all around. Obviously nobody intended for this nurse to die. But when it comes to someone's professional reputation and job loss, I just don't get the rationale for a cheap laugh. There's a million other pranks and jokes you can play on private citizens where it becomes more of a 'omg, you totally got me!" vs a "omg, I'm probably going to lose my job over this and the whole country is laughing at me."

Definitely the nurse screwed up and it was a job error. If it had just been handled behind the scenes, no big deal, but it became a public spectacle. More like kicking a person when they're down in some ways. Anyway - sad situation. I just think the people who review and choose to air some of these pranks should do their homework a little more and look at things with a critical eye as to what the victim potentially has to lose. If it's just embarrassment, fine. If it means them getting fired or professionally disciplined or affected, it's not cool.

Post #13   12/10/12 8:00:01PM