Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

manny pacquiao vs. manuel marquez (Spoilers)

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
Assuming Mayweather can stay out of anymore trouble, I actually think the pac/mayweather fight is most likely to happen now than ever. Its just a shame the hype behind it wont be as big.

Mayweather and Pacquiao have both been marketed for the past several years as the best p4p boxer in the sport, and until last night it was very debatable which one truly deserved the claim. They both know that if they took the fight with each other someone would lose and become significantly less marketable. Even with their fights with common opponents (hatton, cotto, mosely, ect..) a lot of attention in the media was centered around questions about the potential pac/mayweather superfight, which just created more intrigue in their fights with other boxers. Sure they could have a massive payday by making the superfight happen, but why take one giant payday when you could each have several large paydays taking on other opponents. Both know that the risk of losing in that superfight means any other subsequent fight would be significantly less marketable

But now that Pacquiao has been KO'd, I think its pretty clear in most ppl's minds that Mayweather is the p4p best and Pac is #2. Sure many will still dispute that but their argument has a lot less weight behind it now. Mayweather probably feels a lot less threatened by pacquiao now and will have a lot more leverage in negotiations to make the fight happen. Its still gonna be a huge payday for both anyways

Post #16   12/9/12 7:27:50PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,658-951
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i dont think it happens, bc of the money split. if mayweather was already demanding a bigger percentage, imagine what he'd try to get out of it now.

Post #17   12/9/12 8:00:58PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
The problem now is that a lot of people who gave Mayweather no chance back then will start jumping on his bandwagon. I know a lot of that bunch and really wanted the fight to happen back then to make some $$ from them, now? meeeh.

Post #18   12/9/12 8:57:43PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,857-1,481
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Post #19   12/9/12 11:24:12PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:1,154-606
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Marquez did what I thought Mayweather would do to Pacquiao. Make Pacquiao miss, get him frustrated, Make Pacquiao over commit to his punches then drop the hammer on him. Floyd would have fought a much cleaner fight against Pacquiao but Marquez got the job done.

Last edited 12/10/12 8:04AM server time by michael_corleone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   12/10/12 8:02:14AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,989-1,158
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Either way Bob Arum is getting fucked over and i find that hilarious now that the Floyd Manny fight is unlikely.

However, Pacquiao is now the 147lb welterweight planking champion of the world.

Last edited 12/10/12 9:20AM server time by iwannabesedated
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   12/10/12 9:19:41AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2