Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Less Deserved Title shot

Print  
Who
Sonnen 34 74%
Diaz 12 26%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,140-679
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by jjeans

For the sake of argument I also would have put Edgar on the polls but I picked Sonnen purely because of the weight class change,

You would have to put Edgar on the polls? When the majority actually thought he beat Henderson. Edgar should get an immediate title shot especially since hes moving down and everyone else with a decent record just had a title shot in the division....Is there a better fighter in the division or someone more deserving to face Edgar?

The other divisions there are clearly better fights.

Chael Sonnen is the joke here..He lost his last two tries and one he was on drugs...Hes beat nobody in the division. Moving up you should prove yourself first moving down not so much...

Swanson has a pretty decent record, so does Koch, so does Siver, so does KZ. I never said there was a better fighter.

Sonnens beaten nobody in the division? I think he has infact he started his career in the LHW division, he won the Gladiator Challenge Light Heavyweight Championship, DangerZone Light Heavyweight Championship and the Hitman Light Heavyweight Championship. He hasn't won any championships in the middleweight division.

Edgar is walking into a brand new division on the back of 2 losses. I don't care what the "majority thought" the majority of the people who counted, scored it to Bendo.

I am not stating that I would have picked Edgar just the question and the reasoning for the Diaz and Sonnen being picked was
"Sonnen or Diaz ? Both coming off losses and Chael's being in a different weight class.What your opinion?"

Edgar is coming off more than 1 loss and he's entering a new division. So it seemed justified to say "For the sake of argument I also would have put Edgar on the polls"

Last edited 12/8/12 10:14AM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #16   12/8/12 10:11:38AM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:938-594
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
sonnen just for the fact he's coming off a convincing loss and diaz is coming off a highly controversial loss

Post #17   12/8/12 11:11:20AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,796-1,566
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Sonnen because of the reason you mentioned, as well as the fact that GSP now wants to fight Diaz because of the trash talking. For some reason, I find more legitimacy in a champion wanting to fight a guy than the brass wanting a good coach for TUF. Admittedly this leaves the door open for a champion hand picking opponents, but in Diaz's case I don't think anybody thinks that GSP wants to fight him because he's an easy opponent.

Post #18   12/9/12 5:57:11PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:896-509
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Since the Chael/Andy 1, Chael then went on to beat Stann (Who I think gets to much love in the MW ranks), then the close fight Bisping, who quite a few thought Bisping actually won, finally Chael/Andee 2 which was a much more convincing loss than the 1st fight. Chael then says he is moving up to LHW. Says he would step in to fight, Jones, 8 days before the event was supposed to happen due to the Hendo injury, Jones declines, Which I don't blame him since, Sonnen and Hendo are to different styles. Uncle Dana then gives Chael the title shot because Chael was willing to take the fight on a short notice.

Diaz came from SF, after a nice run there, even though it wasn't the same comp. as there is in the UFC, not his fault though, he beat most of those guys rather convincingly, came to the UFC, was supposed to fight GSP, but had it canceled due to him, not showing up at the pressers, took the BJ fight, beat BJ, fought Condit for the interim, when GSP went down, lost a very close fight, much closer than Sonnen/Bisping. Followed by a failed drug test for weed, semi-retirement, has some words for GSP after the GSP/Condit fight, gets GSP wanting to fight him again.

Still down to see both fights though, even though I don't agree with both getting the title shots at this moment. It makes sense to keep Jones busy, while we wait for a more definitive number 1 contender, while Hendo isn't still 100% yet. He basically got screwed over like Hendricks. Diaz/GSP is being made because Dana says GSP doesn't ask for much, and asked for Diaz. Okay I can see that, but it sucks when there is a guy like Hendricks who put together a nice resume to earn a title the right way.

Post #19   12/9/12 9:08:11PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:987-655
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
Neither one earned or deserves a title shot

Post #20   12/10/12 8:33:19AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar