Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Less Deserved Title shot

Print  
Who
Sonnen 34 74%
Diaz 12 26%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,958-1,134
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Sonnen or Diaz ? Both coming off losses and Chael's being in a different weight class.What your opinion?

Lately doesn't seem to be much logic behind title shots....But regardless both of these fights are fights i'm excited to watch even if i disagree with them.

Post #1   12/7/12 11:41:42AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
You said the reason it's Chael in your post. He's moving to a different weight class, at least Diaz was in the title picture at 170 before the loss to Condit.

I will say that I'm looking forward to both fights though.

Post #2   12/7/12 11:49:40AM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
I guess if you had to pick one, it would be Chael. After all, this will be his first fight back at LHW in years.

Not to just go off on a mini rant here, but I've given up on the whole system of earning a title shot. Clearly, it's not the way things work anymore. The UFC is in the business of promoting fights AND making money. I get it but I don't like it. No longer do the terms "number one contender" or "next in line" mean anything. Mini rant over.

Post #3   12/7/12 11:54:52AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I'd say Diaz deserves it less. He's coming off a loss to the guy the champ just beat. He's been "retired" for almost a year and is coming off a suspension from the commission.
Sonnen on the other hand is stepping up a weight class to fight a champion everyone else in his weight class has turned down. I have no problem with Sonnen getting a title shot because he stepped up when others wouldn't.

Diaz on the other hand is getting a title shot because he'll bring in more money and he's gotten under the skin of GSP. Hendricks should be fighting for the title but I don't begrudge GSP wanting Diaz after everything he's hear his saying.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   12/7/12 12:21:48PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
For the sake of argument I also would have put Edgar on the polls but I picked Sonnen purely because of the weight class change,

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #5   12/7/12 12:52:39PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
i went with diaz just because of the fact that his last loss was not to the real WW champ and then he decided to act childish and "Retire" like he doesnt need any of this fighting stuff. the only real reason he's getting the shot seems to be because thats whats GSP wanted where as sonnen got his shot because the fans wanted to see it above everything.

Post #6   12/7/12 1:05:38PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,958-1,134
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

You said the reason it's Chael in your post. He's moving to a different weight class, at least Diaz was in the title picture at 170 before the loss to Condit.

I will say that I'm looking forward to both fights though.

I did vote Sonnen, But as someone else already said Diaz is coming off a suspension and a"retirement".I think both guys are quality fights and i'm not complaining about watching the fights.But i feel there is strong cases against both guys.

In Diaz's case its almost like me failing a piss test and then telling my boss i'm taking a leave for awhile and then come back and receive a big promotion..lol...

It makes sense $$ wise and to interest some fans.But skipping Hendricks is a dick move IMO and not having a clear #1LHW is a bit lame too.Chael talked his way into this..And props to him for stepping up when Hendo got hurt.But still unwarranted.But oh well it'll be good Tv.But Chael losing at 185 and then moving up and getting an immediate shot is why i voted my way.

Last edited 12/7/12 1:26PM server time by iwannabesedated
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   12/7/12 1:24:07PM   

LuckyCharms

Standup Guy

LuckyCharms Avatar

Career:502-385
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I'd say Diaz deserves it less. He's coming off a loss to the guy the champ just beat. He's been "retired" for almost a year and is coming off a suspension from the commission.
Sonnen on the other hand is stepping up a weight class to fight a champion everyone else in his weight class has turned down. I have no problem with Sonnen getting a title shot because he stepped up when others wouldn't.

Diaz on the other hand is getting a title shot because he'll bring in more money and he's gotten under the skin of GSP. Hendricks should be fighting for the title but I don't begrudge GSP wanting Diaz after everything he's hear his saying.

Post #8   12/7/12 1:35:41PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
I went with Sonnen due to the weight change and that after tomorrow there will be a #1 contender for LHW, unless DFW decides again to push against the actual sport in favor of lining his pockets. I'm still lividly butthurt about the Diaz title shot. I'm not sure in what universe it makes sense, but it certainly substantiates the need for DFW to step aside in the interest of the sport.

Post #9   12/7/12 1:51:25PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Chips:
Sonnen since he hasn't fought in the division for years.

Post #10   12/7/12 3:07:46PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

For the sake of argument I also would have put Edgar on the polls but I picked Sonnen purely because of the weight class change,

You would have to put Edgar on the polls? When the majority actually thought he beat Henderson. Edgar should get an immediate title shot especially since hes moving down and everyone else with a decent record just had a title shot in the division....Is there a better fighter in the division or someone more deserving to face Edgar?

The other divisions there are clearly better fights.

Chael Sonnen is the joke here..He lost his last two tries and one he was on drugs...Hes beat nobody in the division. Moving up you should prove yourself first moving down not so much...

Post #11   12/7/12 4:31:30PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Sonnen since he hasn't fought in the division for years.

Vitor could also be up there but I'm okay with good matchmaking verses MMAth as long as the real number one contenders get their shots as well.

Post #12   12/7/12 4:31:35PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
sad that 3 guys coming off losses sonnen diaz and edgar get title shots
the title championship is way under value now

Post #13   12/7/12 6:59:51PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,143-615
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I went with Diaz since there is an absolute de facto number one contender (Hendricks) in that weight class who is getting stepped over. Dan Henderson isn't getting screwed over nearly as bad.

Post #14   12/8/12 3:52:54AM   

JLS1980

Warren > Dantas

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,346-713
Chips:
I voted for Sonnen. It was tough because I like the arguments on both sides. A lot of valid points.
I think they are both undeserving but I'm also looking forward to both fights.
With Jones and Sonnen on TUF 17 and airing on a new night that should/could make things interesting and Nick Diaz was suppose to get the Title shot a while back. And even though he lost to Condit (for the interim belt) it was a very close fight and a lot of people think Nick Diaz won. But that's a whole other story.

Post #15   12/8/12 8:42:05AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2