Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Womens MMA

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
With the topic of the Rousey fight I see a lot of people are excited about womens MMA...

I just cant join in personally on this bandwagon and honestly I think we wouldnt even be discussing this if not for one person...Dana White...He is very fond of Rousey its obvious..

But seriously here how many fights are there really worth watching?

Look at the UFC in General...Is every card exciting with matchups? We saw the last few cards killed by injuries....What happens to womens MMA if say Rousey gets injured? Then would the majority still be excited for womens MMA...I seriously doubt it...

Would the new MMA fan rather watch a Rousey fight or say a Joey Beltran fight where he leaves it all out there?

I know people just love MMA...but IMO womens MMA just isnt as technical as most are trying to act like..Every fight I have seen with women technique is lost in about 20 seconds...Or as soon as someone gets hit..

Does anyone here love Basketball? If so, would you look forward to a championship WNBA game? I doubt it...and the women in the WNBA most could hold there own in a shooting contest against the men..

How bout boxing? Alis daughter probably is a good blueprint to just how big an interest people will have in women fighting....And her last name was Ali..Didnt get all that much respect in the end did it...

How bout the last Olympics where the 17 yr old Claressa Shields won a gold medal...I bet nobody here was even aware..

I dont think Dana actually thinks theres a big future for women in MMA drawing crowds....but I do think he can use the top 3 women as filler for cards and to be able to put a championship label on a card even if only a womens fight never hurts..but if its not the best fight fans could see well its the fans that are losing..

And thats the problem right now...Dana not even a year ago said the talent pool was not big enough...Now all the sudden there is?

This is just my rant and please dont start bashing me...State your case as to why you think womens MMA in the UFC is good for us as fans...I just think its too soon...and from the top 3 women well actually Cyborg and Rousey the drop off is far too great...

Lets keep in mind too...It doesnt look like Cyborg is going to get to 135 or even want to...So there goes that fight...

Post #1   12/7/12 2:10:04AM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,642-941
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I actually do understand where your coming from but I am personally excited for it.

I think the same could be said about Flyweights. There are not a whole lot of big names in the division and only a select few could headline a card with the talent pool still very slim, but, they're still doing alright less than a year into their debut in the UFC. Why? Because they're exciting fighters and very fun to watch.

With WMMA people may be skeptic but women deliver in excitement just as much as Mens MMA imo and I think all people have to do is give them a chance and they will not be disappointed. They have to start somewhere.

As far as fights go, there are not a whole lot to make right now that is correct. But just as the flyweights are doing you just have to give it some time. There will probably only average about 2 Women's fight every few cards and the title will be defended a max of 2 times per year I predict. But as long as they entertain the fans and leave it all out there like they have been known to do, then people will watch.

Just like with every division the UFC will scout fighters, sign them and you never know who will be the next big face of WMMA in a couple years. A lot of women are or will be getting into MMA because of this and I have a strong feeling this will do just fine.

Post #2   12/7/12 2:37:00AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I actually do understand where your coming from but I am personally excited for it.

I think the same could be said about Flyweights. There are not a whole lot of big names in the division and only a select few could headline a card with the talent pool still very slim, but, they're still doing alright less than a year into their debut in the UFC. Why? Because they're exciting fighters and very fun to watch.

With WMMA people may be skeptic but women deliver in excitement just as much as Mens MMA imo and I think all people have to do is give them a chance and they will not be disappointed. They have to start somewhere.

As far as fights go, there are not a whole lot to make right now that is correct. But just as the flyweights are doing you just have to give it some time. There will probably only average about 2 Women's fight every few cards and the title will be defended a max of 2 times per year I predict. But as long as they entertain the fans and leave it all out there like they have been known to do, then people will watch.

Just like with every division the UFC will scout fighters, sign them and you never know who will be the next big face of WMMA in a couple years. A lot of women are or will be getting into MMA because of this and I have a strong feeling this will do just fine.

Speaking about the flyweights I am defintely curious if say Mouse beats Dodson and Joe beats Mccall....I would like to see them fight again but if the same outcome that division can get stale quick..

IM hoping Dodson wins....

The UFC woulda done much better with a flyweight tournament like the Bellator format...

I would say the same thing for the women....Just put the best fighters in different brackets....then anything could of happened..

Post #3   12/7/12 2:52:40AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i am not personnally not that excited about womans MMA either, but i think it has its place. its in it's infant stage right now and coming into the ufc will hopefully motivate more top female athletes to start training. rousey comes from an olympic judo background and has dominated. there has got to be other elite female athletes out there looking for a reason to start MMA.

Post #4   12/7/12 2:53:03AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

i am not personnally not that excited about womans MMA either, but i think it has its place. its in it's infant stage right now and coming into the ufc will hopefully motivate more top female athletes to start training. rousey comes from an olympic judo background and has dominated. there has got to be other elite female athletes out there looking for a reason to start MMA.

You know I think a good point to bring up is recruiting...Like the UFC has tryouts for TUF....I think the show would be much better if the UFC recruited....Basically just contact every senior college Div 1 wrestler who is good and I think the TUF show would be 10x better...

Post #5   12/7/12 2:55:40AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 41-51

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,682-1,046
Chips:
You can't expect a brand new division to automatically begin stacked with talent. Once Rousey gets the ball rolling we'll gradually see legit female fighters come out of the woodwork & prove this was a good move by the ufc. Don't be afraid of change, embrace it.

Post #6   12/7/12 7:34:24AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by tcunningham

You know I think a good point to bring up is recruiting...Like the UFC has tryouts for TUF....I think the show would be much better if the UFC recruited....Basically just contact every senior college Div 1 wrestler who is good and I think the TUF show would be 10x better...

link
Might just get it. And I won't lie I might even watch. But I really don't like WMMA

Post #7   12/7/12 10:26:24AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,975-1,623
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I love WMMA I hope it does well. Now that the UFC has got the women I think you might see a lot more ladies breaking on to the scene.

Post #8   12/7/12 10:40:31AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I kind of agree with you when it comes to WMMA but theres obviously a market for it Cyborg vs Carrino was one of Strikeforces biggest successes viewing wise. The talent pool as of right now is about as deep as a puddle but I think the proposed TUF might deepen that.
The comparison between WMMA and womens basketball makes no sense to me as they are two completely different sports with almost no points to compare other than the players need to be in good shape.

My problem is I basically don't like watching women beating the crap out of each other. A good comparison is Mir vs Nog, that fight had me stood up cheering an when Mir snapped Nogs arm I felt a little bad but ultimately it was his choice not to tap.

On the other hand Rousey vs Tate just had me feeling bad. Her arm was wrecked and it wasn't, to me, anywhere near as close or as technical as Mir-Nog. It didn't involve two fighters of a close level of skill it was just one person breaking another persons arm.
The same with Cyborg vs Carrino it was (and again its just my opinion) uncomfortable to watch. I probably just have an outdated view on WMMA but I really don't like watching it.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #9   12/7/12 11:22:08AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,686-1,525
Chips:
I've seen some really entertaining WMMA matches, so I have no issue with it. There are women's sports that I'm not a fan of at all, like basketball, but women's soccer in the Olympics and world cup, women's volleyball, and mud wrestling are all a-ok by me. Like others have mentioned, the talent pool needs to grow, but with the UFC jumping into the waters of WMMA, it's basically guaranteed that more top female athletes will look to make a splash in the sport. The UFC adding the division is the best thing that could have happened as far as growing WMMA goes.

Post #10   12/7/12 12:01:35PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,834-1,785
Chips:
I think it will develop over time, and slowly to mainly due to the fact that I am not all that convinced that Rousey is that good. She is good at one thing, but hasnt shown me that she is very well rounded and when someone figures that out she is going to get hurt as bad as Gina did. I am just hoping there isnt aome sort of big fallout/backlash in the future when one of these chicks catches a big elbow with a bloody cut. The ref lets the fight continue and it could get bad, he stops the fight because they are "just girls" then its equally stupid.

Post #11   12/7/12 12:06:52PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I think it will develop over time, and slowly to mainly due to the fact that I am not all that convinced that Rousey is that good. She is good at one thing, but hasnt shown me that she is very well rounded and when someone figures that out she is going to get hurt as bad as Gina did. I am just hoping there isnt aome sort of big fallout/backlash in the future when one of these chicks catches a big elbow with a bloody cut. The ref lets the fight continue and it could get bad, he stops the fight because they are "just girls" then its equally stupid.

so then have Kim Winslow ref their fights?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #12   12/7/12 2:52:01PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:
The womens fight tonight on Bellator....LAst time I watched Gurgel fight I almost fell asleep in teh third round...I swear...

Post #13   12/7/12 7:44:41PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:
Just watched Gurgel and Jessica Eye on Bellator...

This also falls inline with what I see a lot of in Womens MMA...The bigger woman will defintely win 99% of the time...

In the beginning they both come out swinging with reckless abandonment....absolutely no technique...

Then the much taller Eye gets her in a standing triangle which she should of taken her to the ground...but gets the sub anyway since shes taller...but it was entertaining...

Truthfully though I see this every week on Bad Girls Club...

Post #14   12/7/12 8:03:28PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Just watched Gurgel and Jessica Eye on Bellator...

This also falls inline with what I see a lot of in Womens MMA...The bigger woman will defintely win 99% of the time...

In the beginning they both come out swinging with reckless abandonment....absolutely no technique...

Then the much taller Eye gets her in a standing triangle which she should of taken her to the ground...but gets the sub anyway since shes taller...but it was entertaining...

Truthfully though I see this every week on Bad Girls Club...

You watch Bad Girls Club every week?

Dude, no offense, but you have a very limited view of WMMA. You really need to watch more fights.

Check out Sarah Kaufman vs Ginele Marquez and tell me there is no technique.

Post #15   12/7/12 8:45:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2