Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shogun Rua vs. Alexander Gustafsson Winner Gets Next UFC Light Heavyweight Title Shot

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,030-598
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Personally I think Dana is just trying to hype the fight to the casual fans and boost ratings. He is also trying to encourage Gustafsson and Shogun to perform well on the Fox card. The timing isnt right for the winner of this fight to get the next shot at Jones. Jones doesnt fight until april, that means the winner would have to sit out 8 - 10 months before they fight again, barring no injuries. I think the timing is better for the winner of Hendo/Machida for the next fight with Jones.

Post #16   12/7/12 12:37:48PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,465-839
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Not a fan of this, jumping the gun on announcing a #1 contender, I think the #1 contender should be decided after the Hendo/Machida fight. Whoever has the better win, should receive the next title shot.

it's not like Dana has ever had a problem on going back on his word.

he'll probably give me the next title shot as soon as he hears all the shit i've been talking. i've failed a drug test recently & am coming off of a loss, so that should put me in the front of the line

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #17   12/7/12 2:27:42PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

Riddle me this batman:

Phil Davis defeats Gustafsson. Davis loses to Rashad Evans via decision.

Gustafsson loses to Phil Davis. Gustafsson gets potential title shot.

Yes, you can say maybe Phil would have gotten the title had he beat Rashad, BUT Rashad wasn't given that opportunity, and it was never even in the talks.

Eh.

Rashad got the next title shot, less than 3 months after busting up Davis. Can't ask for a better timeframe than that.

Phil Davis isn't in the title talk at all right now. He was given a likeable but overmatched striker in the next fight. Davis threw Prado around like a pillow all night.

The Davis / Gustafsson was almost 3 years ago. Since then, Gustafsson has won 5 straight against decent guys. He's also one of the few LHWs with the frame and striking prowess to threaten Bones, though I think he could lose on the feet and would certainly be outclassed on the ground. If he wins the next fight (which I think he will, barring Shogun's knees miraculously rejuvenating), he'll not only have beaten a top 10 guy but the former champ that the current champ beat.

I still feel that Hendo is the more exciting fight for Bones, but we know what happened there. And he's still got go to through Machida, who I agree is a terrible opponent for him. Gustafsson would make sense presuming he wins.

Shogun? Well, that's another story. If he looks like he has since losing the belt, well, I'd be a little uncomfortable seeing him fight Bones again.

Post #18   12/7/12 2:58:01PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,788-1,563
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
If you listen closely, you can hear Henderson getting fucked. Imagine, if Shogun wins this fight he's going to a get a title shot over the last guy that beat him.

Post #19   12/7/12 3:25:10PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
If Hendo does the impossible and beats Machida, especially with the H-Bomb, he's getting a title shot. Really he fucked himself, especially by reporting the injury so late.

Post #20   12/7/12 5:16:56PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,651-1,397
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by isk

If Hendo does the impossible and beats Machida, especially with the H-Bomb, he's getting a title shot. Really he fucked himself, especially by reporting the injury so late.

'

I really fail to see how Hendo fucked himself in this

Post #21   12/7/12 5:48:08PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
It's not the injury that's the problem. It's that he waited so long to report it to Zuffa, which contributed to the Sept fiasco.

The crazy thing is that it's totally understandable. Hendo's heart seems to have been in the right place. Keep training, see how it is, try to tough it out because it's a big fight people want to see (and one I'm sure Hendo wants dearly). And so much of what happened afterwards was out of his control. No one person is solely at fault here.

But not letting his employers know until a week before that he'd been disabled for some time, that's the kind of thing I'd get slapped for at my job. Not even a, "hey guys, just torqued my knee, gonna try to work through it but you might want to talk to Bones about a possible replacement." Maybe Bones still declines to fight the replacement on short notice, but then it's 100% on him.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this Shogun/Gustafsson title talk had a bit to do with Dana & co. not being 100% happy with Hendo at the moment. It's petty, it's theory, but worse has happened for less in the UFC.

Post #22   12/7/12 7:06:01PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,651-1,397
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by isk

It's not the injury that's the problem. It's that he waited so long to report it to Zuffa, which contributed to the Sept fiasco.

The crazy thing is that it's totally understandable. Hendo's heart seems to have been in the right place. Keep training, see how it is, try to tough it out because it's a big fight people want to see (and one I'm sure Hendo wants dearly). And so much of what happened afterwards was out of his control. No one person is solely at fault here.

But not letting his employers know until a week before that he'd been disabled for some time, that's the kind of thing I'd get slapped for at my job. Not even a, "hey guys, just torqued my knee, gonna try to work through it but you might want to talk to Bones about a possible replacement." Maybe Bones still declines to fight the replacement on short notice, but then it's 100% on him.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this Shogun/Gustafsson title talk had a bit to do with Dana & co. not being 100% happy with Hendo at the moment. It's petty, it's theory, but worse has happened for less in the UFC.

But he's fought with injuries a lot. He had the bad back and the meds that made him retain the water in the weight cut with Jake Shields, a shoulder injury in the Rampage fight. Why give that information out to the other camp if Henderson is able to pull through in time for the fight?

Post #23   12/7/12 9:11:21PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
Good point. Equally important to note that each of those fights were clear losses. Also, he'd already have been the slower fighter when healthy; a busted knee would've made him a walking target for Bones. Can't throw the H-Bomb when either leg won't support the big shift in weight.

Post #24   12/7/12 10:41:19PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2