Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White says Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz is next

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,961-1,183
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Diaz was due a title shot but had it taken away (from out of cage activities)
He then had a number one contender match with Condit which many think he won. So again he was due a title shot. This was all before Hendricks beat Koscheck and Kampmann.

Diaz was suspended for a year for a test that hadn`t been administered before and was chosen to screw him over. He was suspended because of his attitude and personal habits. The NSAC has been all over Nick for years. Kizer hates him.
That has nothing to do with his fights and his place in title contention. Dana and Joe Silva know this. That suspension was BS.

He was the number one contender before Hendricks was even in consideration. He`s lost one highly controversial decision since then. Hendricks fans love to say a loss is a loss, but thats not always the case.

Why does Hendricks' wins (which were very impressive) negate Nick Diaz' number one contendership which was already cemented before Hendricks was in contention, and was delayed and de-railed by BS reasons. The NSAC has been after Nick since he trashed them publicly (shortly after the Gomi fight, well when he fought Riggs in the hospital actually but they really turned it up after the Gomi fight, and Dana supported them, which is partially why Nick skipped out on the press conference and lost his title shot in the first place. Zuffa and the NSAC have an extremely close working relationship, and always have. NIck hates them, and just wants to fight. And to be honset he has good reason to hate the NSAC and the connections to them and Zuffa are obvious)

Strikeforce champs have or will all get the chance to unify their belts.
Shields got an automatic title-shot (which he declined due to just fighting at MW and wanting to re-adjust his body first)
Melendez was supposed to get one and will soon enough.
Cormier will be getting one.
Diaz lost his due to politics. The fight is still due, even more so considering he should've won against Condit (IMO)
Rockhold probably shouldn't get a crack at Anderson. He should turn down the offer if it comes his way.

Hendricks can wait a bit. Diaz has certainly waited long enough. Everyone of his losses during his original UFC stint were close fights and controversial decisions themselves. Many thought he deserved a title shot back in 2006-2007 and part of the reason he left the UFC was because they didnt want to promote him because of his image and kept giving him tough style match-ups to deny him his shot at the belt.

Big deal, Hendricks has to wait a year or so from being a real contender to getting his shot. Diaz has been waiting 8 years for GSP, and been a serious contender the whole time. He earned his shot in Strikeforce and through his work in Pride and EliteXC also, not through his mouth like many are saying. He was next in line before Hendricks and just because Hendricks has a much better resume in the past year doesnt mean he just gets to jump in line in front of Diaz.

IIRC Diaz wasn't talking shit about BJ or Condit. He talks trash about GSP because the only way he's been able to get the fight so far has been to get GSP to request it. And GSP requested it because Nick keeps talking shit. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited 12/7/12 1:58AM server time by bustamante-AOKI
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #31   12/7/12 1:49:26AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
im a little disappointing just because of this retirement BS that diaz pulled and the fact that Hendricks earned a shot by destroying some of the biggest names in the WW division. i will still enjoy the shit out of this fight though.

Post #32   12/7/12 2:38:07AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by ChrisSabal

complete garbage. Hendricks deserves the title shot. National champion wrestler and heavy hands. Perfect recipe to beat GSP.

Sounds like Josh Koscheck

Post #33   12/7/12 10:52:02AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by ChrisSabal

complete garbage. Hendricks deserves the title shot. National champion wrestler and heavy hands. Perfect recipe to beat GSP.

Sounds like Josh Koscheck

I'm sorry, but koscheck being heavy handed? I like the guy and all, and his striking has definitely improved, but it's a far cry from Hendrick's

Post #34   12/7/12 3:02:07PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

Big deal, Hendricks has to wait a year or so from being a real contender to getting his shot. Diaz has been waiting 8 years for GSP, and been a serious contender the whole time. He earned his shot in Strikeforce and through his work in Pride and EliteXC also, not through his mouth like many are saying. He was next in line before Hendricks and just because Hendricks has a much better resume in the past year doesnt mean he just gets to jump in line in front of Diaz.

Waiting 8 years how??? lets at a look at diaz's record when fighting top guys (aka guys who went to fight for a UFC title is the criteria i am using)

Diego Sanchez = lost
Joe riggs = lost
sean sherk = lost
carlos condit = lost

his only two wins are over 2 OLD former champs

frank shamrock & bj Penn

wins over out of prime bj and frank being your most notable wins from his debut for the ufc in 2003 to now is not waiting 8 years for GSP. the only reason he is getting this fight is because of his mouth since he pissed off GSP by trash talking hence why GSP wants to fight him. you can't keep singing the "if" song about losing close decisions, he lost so get over it. the world doesn't work that way. Lets not forget last time diaz was in the spotlight vs GSP he went mia then after the condit fight he retires only for us to find he fails a drug test. pretty good timing to retire before the results are public. beating sub par fighters but losing to the top guys even though close doesn't mean you forget he actually lost and he still should get a title fight. I know diaz has mad skills but he pulled a chael to get this title shot.

just because others have gotten undeserved title shot doesn't mean you have to keep continuing this trend.

Post #35   12/7/12 6:41:16PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
In all of MMA, I've never heard a more continual and deluded litany of excuses than when it comes to why Nick Diaz hasn't gotten ____________.

I like Diaz as a fighter. A lot. He's a python grappler, but he prefers to keep it standing. He runs triathalons to stay in shape for MMA. He got hit clean by Paul Daley, who despite his issues is one of the hardest punchers at WW, and he not only took it, he folded Daley with his own punches in return. He's a fighter's fighter in the octagon, and I'll always watch him fight.

That said, as talented and hardworking he is, his strategy leaves a lot open to exploit, and it's no matter what style he has at the time. He kept getting outwrestled, so he worked on his TDD while improving his boxing to be a real threat. Seemed like a juggernaut, right, until he was outstuck by Condit without getting taken down once. He failed to control the octagon, he failed to suck Condit into his game or to trap him effectively, and he lost fair and square.

Then he got popped for weed. Like, I get that there are legitimate medical issues that are addressed by dispensaries. I'm all for those. But if you're an athlete, do not smoke weed. Athletes are in a special category, and for what it's worth, I'm not in favor of TRT, either. Anyhow, this is in the rulebook of pretty much every state commission. It is not vague, it is not new, and it will get you almost every time. If it changes, I won't cry as long as the science and reasoning are sound. But that's how it is now.

While Diaz has seen his share of misfortune, he and some of his fans have a way of aggrandizing and exacerbating the kinds of things that just happen. Diaz has had a lot more control over his career than he publicly lets on, and like many things he says, I think he does it for the attention more than the merit of the argument.

Last edited 12/7/12 7:00PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #36   12/7/12 6:59:20PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I would have set up GSP vs Jonny due to Jonny being on a hot streak but thats just me

Post #37   12/7/12 8:28:37PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
sure hendricks is getting screwed here and sure he deserves it a hell of alot more than diaz.

i still want to see nick vs gsp though.

Post #38   12/8/12 4:19:52AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3