Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ronda Rousey vs Liz Carmouche Main Event at UFC 157

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,311-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by george112

But once people see just how un-technical the females are ratings will likely drop with a female main event

Yeah, you apparently haven't watched much WMMA lately. They're catching up, bro.

Dude I've watched plenty.

If by catching up you mean making it to the UFC then yeah they have.

Also women's MMA isn't new. It's been around for awhile . The UFC is banking on Rousey right now ie. Her being the champ and coming into the UFC.

But come on man if your name isn't carano,rousey, or cyborg then your pretty much gonna get whooped.

Post #31   12/6/12 6:39:11PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by george112

I'm talking about your comment regarding how "un-technical" they are.

Sure, they're not on the level of the males but the gap is narrowing for sure.

It's no different than watching 90% of the guys that come through the TUF house.

Post #32   12/6/12 6:43:24PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,957-1,617
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Same guys bitching about Hendricks getting passed on WARing Rousey vs some chick I've never heard of. In a main event. On PPV.

I'd buy Barao McDonald way before I'd buy Rousey vs anyone.

There's only one good female fight out there. After that, zero.

Just because you dont know who Liz Carmouche is doesnt make this fight unworthy. You wont watch Ronda as a main event but you will waste your time on a million threads about the women.

Post #33   12/6/12 6:44:10PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,311-856
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by george112

I'm talking about your comment regarding how "un-technical" they are.

Sure, they're not on the level of the males but the gap is narrowing for sure.

It's no different than watching 90% of the guys that come through the TUF house.

My Bad man. I wasn't meaning ALL women are untechnical. I meant if your name wasn't one of the ones noted in my above post (there are few select others) and your in the ring 85% of the time the striking exchanges are mediocre. Literally like no joke.

That's why I think the UFC should have waited until the women had more then ONE popular fighter to market and put on fights. Because the problem with doing that is their will be relative unknowns who will be brought in to fight high caliber females like Rousey and get demolished.

Kind of get where I'm coming from?

Post #34   12/6/12 6:50:42PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:3,028-1,684
Chips:
Am I the only one that is surprised Rousey is main eventing? Not because of talent level or anything, but I just wonder if the oft-mentioned "casual UFC fan" knows who she is and is ready for a WMMA main event, given that there hasn't been a single WMMA fight in the UFC at all. I thought they might try to make her co-main event or expose fans to more WMMA before having her headline. I'm not necessarily saying I disagree, just surprised.

Post #35   12/6/12 7:01:30PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,629-937
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I personally am excited for this fight because Liz is such a fun fighter to watch and Rousey as we know is on a whole 'nother level. I just really want to see WMMA succeed. This is one of the most important events for the UFC. Having Hendo/Machida and Faber on the card will help the casual fans open up to this event.

If I'm not mistaken Rousey's fights in SF this year brought the most viewers in out of their events so I hope people will pay for Rousey/Carmouche. I know I will.

Post #36   12/6/12 7:06:32PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,692-972
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Am I the only one that is surprised Rousey is main eventing? Not because of talent level or anything, but I just wonder if the oft-mentioned "casual UFC fan" knows who she is and is ready for a WMMA main event, given that there hasn't been a single WMMA fight in the UFC at all. I thought they might try to make her co-main event or expose fans to more WMMA before having her headline. I'm not necessarily saying I disagree, just surprised.

not surprised, but amused
it's funny that Mighty Mouse vs Benavidez was a comain event & this is a main event.

Post #37   12/6/12 7:12:01PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

There's only one good female fight out there. After that, zero.

clearly you have never watched any WMMA and only know names

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #38   12/6/12 7:31:51PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by jay98107

it's funny that Mighty Mouse vs Benavidez was a comain event & this is a main event.

well that was the original main event until Jones ducked Sonnen and 151 got cancelled and Jones vs Belfort became the new main event for 152

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #39   12/6/12 7:39:11PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,692-972
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by jay98107

well that was the original main event until Jones ducked Sonnen and 151 got cancelled and Jones vs Belfort became the new main event for 152

thanks Bubbs! totally forgot about that!

Post #40   12/6/12 8:18:18PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Chips:
My problems:
1. This is placed over Hendo vs Machida and Shogun vs Gustaffson (both have big implications in the LHW Division) while on a ppv instead of the options. (FX Main Event, FuelTV Main Event, etc.)
2. Liz, come on guys! If you watch WMMA then you know she is a B+, A- fighter who has lost to every big named female fighter she has faced and is coming off of a win against a fighter whose record is 50/50. There were other opponents that could have been selected even if it was just a fighter who would help build the Rousey name and future fight with Cyborg.

Last edited 12/6/12 10:40PM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #41   12/6/12 10:34:40PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,682-1,471
Chips:
Listen, I have no problem with Liz Carmouche. Props to her for taking the fight.

BUT I have to say Im disapointed this will be the first female fight in the ufc, instead of Cyborg or McMann.

Personally I blame those girls for not taking the fight. How could you NOT want to be known as one of the first two females to ever fight in the UFC?

Post #42   12/6/12 10:56:58PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:
The only way I thought this would be a good idea was Cyborg vs Rousey. No disrespect to Liz, but she is undeserving of a main event spot, and it shows how the UFC is only too willing to skew cards favorably in the way of their favorites. I know its done throughout boxing too, to build reputation and records, but it reeks of greed to me.

Post #43   12/6/12 11:06:12PM   

I-GOT-THIS-PICK

Standup Guy

I-GOT-THIS-PICK Avatar

Career:1,727-983
Chips:
If the UFC wants Rousey to remain there golden girl they should never mention the name Cyborg.again.If they fight that will be the end of womens mma in the UFC unless they back Cyborg who is really the best female fighter in the world but is fugly and looks more manly then Mighty Mouse Johnson

Post #44   12/7/12 12:49:51AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by Goatenstein

This shouldn't be the main event just because it could end so quickly.

Thats like saying JDS vs Cain shouldnt be main event because that can end quickly too

I personally think Rousey on PPV will do awesome I for one will be ordering this event

WAR ROUSEY

You think Rousey will do awesome for pay per view...I bet the exact opposite...Flops big time...Womens MMA will never be a main draw...IF you put Brock and Fedor on the card would be the best thing Dana could do...

If I was Dana I would put Rousey on a card right under GSP....Your biggest audience is the best chance to get her the proper exposure...cause this isnt about womans MMA at all...Its really about Dana love for Rousey...

You need to promote fighters and I dont see Dana promoting any other female period...

Welcome to the Rousey Show!!

Post #45   12/7/12 1:13:07AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4