Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Training partner Tyron Woodley: B.J. Penn is 'ready to roll'

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
When Strikeforce welterweight standout Tyron Woodley went out to Hawaii to help B.J. Penn train for his UFC on FOX 5 bout with Rory MacDonald, it didn't take him long to figure out why Penn's camps are the stuff of mixed martial arts legend.

"One thing that I immediately noticed is his camp is so in tune and so focused on one goal, and task, and that's winning on Dec. 8," Woodley said on a recent edition of The MMA Hour. "Those guys are so in tune with the diet, the nutrition, how many rounds he's sparring, how many minutes, they really have it down to a science. So I can appreciate that for the several times I've ran my own camp, to have that out of my mind and be able to focus on fighting, that's a great thing not to have on your plate."

The 10-1 St. Louis native was brought in to mimic MacDonald, the well-rounded welterweight from Montreal's Tri-Star gym, and Woodley did his best to deliver.

"It's a blessing and an honor that they would consider me for this camp," Woodley said. "Rory MacDonald's no joke, man. That's not a guy a lot of guys are calling out to fight I think B.J. Penn, if anyone's going to knock this young buck off, he's the guy to do it. So, they wanted someone who can strike who can wrestle who can grapple, that was a bigger guy who could compete with him. So I went in there and I gave him everything he could handle, I tried to give him a good look."

LINK

Post #1   12/5/12 12:55:11PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
With that being said I will not accept any excuses from Penn's camp if he loses.

However im glad to hear he's prepared and not taking it lightly

War Penn

Post #2   12/5/12 1:27:29PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,119-599
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by george112

With that being said I will not accept any excuses from Penn's camp if he loses.

War Penn

So when Penn losses then what? Retirement?
Rory will take GSP's place when he retires as champ.
But I am happy to see BJ taking this seriously, otherwise I think it would be an early stoppage. Rory is too young and hungry for BJ IMO.

Post #3   12/5/12 1:59:22PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by george112

With that being said I will not accept any excuses from Penn's camp WHEN he loses.

War Penn

Fixed.

BJ shouldn't be fighting at WW at all. Rory and his hipster powers will beat him into retirement in an obscure way we're probably to uncool to have heard of.

Last edited 12/5/12 2:30PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   12/5/12 2:28:52PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,395-802
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
He's been training with T Wood and Funky Ben. I thought Rory would run threw him but now I'm second guessing myself.

Post #5   12/5/12 4:30:53PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I really hope Penn is actually as ready as he can be... He's always saying" I haven't been doing things right... for the first time now I feel like I am" ... blah blah blah. I respect Penn, but his definition of commitment isn't in the same dictionary as Rory's. Granted with age and other things life brings, that's natural.

I subscribe to the theory.... Penn better be ready or he's gonna get rolled, badly.

Post #6   12/5/12 4:46:45PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by george112

War Penn

So when Penn losses then what? Retirement?
Rory will take GSP's place when he retires as champ.
But I am happy to see BJ taking this seriously, otherwise I think it would be an early stoppage. Rory is too young and hungry for BJ IMO.

Possibly. Depends on how he looks imo

Post #7   12/5/12 7:20:37PM