Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC'S JOHNY HENDRICKS: 'I'M NOT GOING TO FIGHT UNLESS IT'S FOR A BELT'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If anyone had any doubts of Johny Hendricks' intentions for what he wants next, he put those to bed pretty quickly.

But no matter what comes next for St-Pierre, though, Hendricks is willing to wait for his next fight until that next fight has him staring across the octagon from the champ.

"I'm not going to fight unless it's for a belt," Hendricks on Friday told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "Nothing else matters but the belt. My last three fights were guys in the top five, and I finished two of those three fights. I stated my claim. My stock's really high right now, and the only thing left is to get a shot at that belt.

"I really want a belt. They don't come around that often, and I feel like I've done enough to earn a shot, and that's pretty much all I'm thinking of right now. I'm training for a five-round fight, and that's it."

LINK

Post #1   11/30/12 9:37:39PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:
I like how he said a belt. If GSP fights Silva in late 2013, Hendricks should be fighting for one interim belt against Diaz then. If not Silva fight with GSP, Hendricks rightfully deserves GSP over Diaz or anyone else in the Welter Weight division.

Last edited 11/30/12 9:54PM server time by buffalodave
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/30/12 9:53:29PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

I like how he said a belt. If GSP fights Silva in late 2013, Hendricks should be fighting for one interim belt against Diaz then. If not Silva fight with GSP, Hendricks rightfully deserves GSP over Diaz or anyone else in the Welter Weight division.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #3   11/30/12 10:05:56PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
most of the time i hate when fighters say this because who knows when that fight will actually happen. i do think hendricks deserves the title shot more than anybody else in the WW division i just hope we dont have to wait a year.

Post #4   11/30/12 11:19:12PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Chips:
Don't hold your breath....it may be quite a while.

Post #5   12/1/12 12:03:49AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I say have gsp face johnny
Silva face rockhold or weidman

Then Silva vs gsp labor day weekend

Post #6   12/1/12 12:45:51AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

most of the time i hate when fighters say this because who knows when that fight will actually happen. i do think hendricks deserves the title shot more than anybody else in the WW division i just hope we dont have to wait a year.

Johny is not only deserving but he is the most deserving contender of any weight class that should get a title fight. when was the last time a contender had a 5 fight win streak in the ufc and the last 3 being over top 5 guys. dude earned it

Post #7   12/1/12 12:47:01AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
Someone buy big Rig a Happy Meal so he can finally get a belt and get back to slappin' 170 contenders around.

Post #8   12/1/12 1:08:04AM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
Under normal circumstances he has done enough to earn a title shot. But when the division has a long term mega star champ you can find yourself in the same position chuck liddell was in when Tito had the title. By the time Chuck got his title he had smashed every other contender and they had to bring up Horn from middle weight so he could have someone promotable for him to fight.

Post #9   12/1/12 8:15:44AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I like Hendricks but I thoguht he lost to Koscheck...I think Hendricks is quite aware the last two fights he just got plain lucky...but he is talented..

If a fighter is that good and confident about his game...he would fight anyone...I understand the wanting a title shot but if you really dont think anyone can beat u in the division you would fight anyone just to get the paycheck...

If I were him I would not of made that statement especially dealing with a guy like Dana WHite...

Post #10   12/1/12 12:16:28PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by landstander

Under normal circumstances he has done enough to earn a title shot. But when the division has a long term mega star champ you can find yourself in the same position chuck liddell was in when Tito had the title. By the time Chuck got his title he had smashed every other contender and they had to bring up Horn from middle weight so he could have someone promotable for him to fight.

but tito was doing everything possible to avoid chuck. the only thing standing in johny's way is the gsp/andy fight

Post #11   12/1/12 12:40:49PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

the last two fights he just got plain lucky...but he is talented..

please....lucky he put kampmann out he must have been lucky against fitch too hell from now on anytime a fighter knocks his opponet out we shouldnt count it as anything more than luck in fact only Decisions count because judges are always spot on

Post #12   12/1/12 12:43:24PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:765-371
Chips:
I don't like the attitude of hard-balling Dana on this one, to be honest.

It's fine to express desire and campaign for it, but saying "It's a title shot or nothing" is a little extreme, in my opinion.

He's talented and either already in line for a title shot or one more fight away from it.
But making black and white statements like that? Not a fan of it.

It also validates a strategy that's becoming increasingly popular lately - the preference to wait on the sidelines for as long as it takes in order to fight for the belt. I understand the rationale but if you don't think you can defend the belt against guys you consider ranked lower than you as it is, then how can you justify the wait.

I think he needs to yes, campaign for a title shot behind the scenes, but at the end of the day, fighters need to fight the guy that's put in front of them, especially if they're that confident that they're right behind the current title-holder as it is.

Post #13   12/1/12 1:32:02PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

I like Hendricks but I thoguht he lost to Koscheck...I think Hendricks is quite aware the last two fights he just got plain lucky...but he is talented..

If a fighter is that good and confident about his game...he would fight anyone...I understand the wanting a title shot but if you really dont think anyone can beat u in the division you would fight anyone just to get the paycheck...

If I were him I would not of made that statement especially dealing with a guy like Dana WHite...

Luck has nothing to do throwing a left like Johnny Boy does. It's not like Fitch or Kampmann tripped, fell, right into that left. I can see the argument about Kos, it was an extremely close fight, so call that lucky, but if you are trying to call the Fitch or Kampmann lucky, that is rubbish, it might be your opinion, but it would be a wrong one. Please don't comeback with the 9 out of 10 fights Fitch would win either, that gets old, can't remember if that is one of the things you harp on, if it isn't I apologize.

Hendricks doesn't need to fight anyone for a paycheck, the guy makes good money now, and is raking up KOTN bonuses, I would assume his bank account is pretty nice, where he can sit out for a title shot if he wants to, not to mention what type of backstage bonuses he receives too.

The statement he made will not hurt him with Dana, especially since he has a legit beef, unlike other fighters like Bisping, who get one win and are saying they are the number 1 contender...

Post #14   12/1/12 1:35:29PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,054-613
Chips:

Posted by DancingDoll

I don't like the attitude of hard-balling Dana on this one, to be honest.

It's fine to express desire and campaign for it, but saying "It's a title shot or nothing" is a little extreme, in my opinion.

He's talented and either already in line for a title shot or one more fight away from it.
But making black and white statements like that? Not a fan of it.

It also validates a strategy that's becoming increasingly popular lately - the preference to wait on the sidelines for as long as it takes in order to fight for the belt. I understand the rationale but if you don't think you can defend the belt against guys you consider ranked lower than you as it is, then how can you justify the wait.

I think he needs to yes, campaign for a title shot behind the scenes, but at the end of the day, fighters need to fight the guy that's put in front of them, especially if they're that confident that they're right behind the current title-holder as it is.

Fantastic post. He certainly deserves a title shot, but saying he will just chill out until they grant him the fight is somewhat childish and not particularly inspiring considering he is a fighter, not a sitter.

Post #15   12/1/12 1:54:15PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2