Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mike Dolce hits back at Firas Zahabi's claims that Johny Hendricks, not Nick Diaz, is the number 1 contender at Welterweight

Print  
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,239-734
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The whole article is worth a read but - Mike Dolce disagrees with Firas Zahabi's opinion on Nick Diaz as the top welterweight contender.

"I'm looking at Nick's record right now," he said. "He beat K.J. Noons, a 155-pounder; Evangelista 'Cyborg' (Santos), and who is he? Then Paul Daley – all right, Paul Daley's tough. Then B.J. Penn, a very uninspired B.J. Penn, who's a lightweight. He beat two lightweights, one very fringe welterweight, and Paul Daley."

LINK

Dirty Blue

Post #1   11/29/12 5:44:32PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i do agree that hendricks, not diaz, is #1 contender. diaz hasn't done much in his current ufc run other than beat BJ.

now when it comes to GSP avoiding hendricks and he cant beat hendricks wrestling or his stand up is absurd. we dont know if he cant out wrestle hendricks because they haven't fought, plus we have seen GSP out wrestle division 1 national champions before. as for the stand up, i personally think GSP's hands are much more technical than hendrick's. he just has to be careful of hendrick's power because hendrick's can KO any WW on the planet with his left hand.

Last edited 11/29/12 7:36PM server time by tcunningham
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/29/12 7:34:50PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,477-773
Chips:
I would like to see GSP beat up on Nick first but Johny Hendricks is IMO the #1 contender.
He's done more than any other Welterweight as of late. He deserves a title shot.

Post #3   11/29/12 7:46:08PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
last I checked BJ's last 3 fights were at WW and he has a WW fight coming up. He hasn't been a LW in over 2 years, and held the WW belt at one time. I'm pretty sure that's not the sign of a LW. And of course Penn was "uninspired", he always is if he loses.

Smashing Penn is a bigger accomplishment than barely winning a controversial decision over Koscheck. To use MMA math, Diaz finished Daley who finished Kampmann...and Hendricks finished Kampmann so Hendricks = Daley and Diaz > Hendricks

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #4   11/29/12 8:28:41PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

last I checked BJ's last 3 fights were at WW and he has a WW fight coming up. He hasn't been a LW in over 2 years, and held the WW belt at one time. I'm pretty sure that's not the sign of a LW. And of course Penn was "uninspired", he always is if he loses.

Smashing Penn is a bigger accomplishment than barely winning a controversial decision over Koscheck. To use MMA math, Diaz finished Daley who finished Kampmann...and Hendricks finished Kampmann so Hendricks = Daley and Diaz > Hendricks

Fitch, Kampmann, Koscheck > B.J. Penn

I don't see a valid argument for Diaz being considered the number 1 contender. Even if I do think he won the Condit fight, he wasn't given the decision and my opinion unfortunately doesn't matter as much as a judge's. I also don't think Daley should even be brought up in this because Diaz fought him in Strikeforce and Kampmann fought him in 2009 and before he went on a win streak that included Ellenberger, Alves and Story.

Post #5   11/29/12 9:29:55PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Bubbles

I don't see a valid argument for Diaz being considered the number 1 contender. Even if I do think he won the Condit fight, he wasn't given the decision and my opinion unfortunately doesn't matter as much as a judge's. I also don't think Daley should even be brought up in this because Diaz fought him in Strikeforce and Kampmann fought him in 2009 and before he went on a win streak that included Ellenberger, Alves and Story.

I'm not arguing that Diaz should get the title shot over Hendricks, Nick needs to get a win first. I'm simply saying that Dolce is very far off in discrediting Diaz's recent fights. And my MMA math was meant more for humor than anything.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   11/29/12 10:39:20PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Bubbles

I'm not arguing that Diaz should get the title shot over Hendricks, Nick needs to get a win first. I'm simply saying that Dolce is very far off in discrediting Diaz's recent fights. And my MMA math was meant more for humor than anything.

I'm not going to lie, I haven't read the article yet

My bad

Post #7   11/29/12 10:56:32PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,196-650
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Some good points made in the article, which got me thinking about the WW rankings. I looked over at Sherdog's WW rankings, and damn do I disagree big time with them.

To me, Fitch and Koscheck are the ultimate gate keepers of the division. They've historically been able to defeat anyone put in there way not named GSP. They've derailed a lot of title contender prospects, and, to me, facing one of them is the ultimate test of "are you ready for a title shot."

Both, Condit and Diaz have jumped Fitch and Koscheck not only in title contender order (which I'm not arguing), but in rankings (which I do not agree with), without having to face either one.

Do you agree with Condit and Diaz being ranked over Koscheck and Fitch without ever fighting them (in rankings, not title contender order)?

After saying all that, there is a guy who defeated both Fitch and Koscheck, then defeated another top 10 in Kampann. That guy deserves a title shot more than Diaz.

Last edited 11/30/12 3:18AM server time by copenhagen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   11/30/12 3:04:49AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:
Thread title means the opposite.

Post #9   11/30/12 8:46:09AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,126-652
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles
And my MMA math was meant more for humor than anything.

I guess I missed the joke, I even double checked in Excel and your math works out perfectly.

Post #10   11/30/12 9:28:56AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:958-600
Chips:
Diaz lost his last fight, and is coming off a nearly year-long layoff..

Zahabi (and GSP) probably want the Diaz fight more for 2 reasons:

1) Stylistically, Diaz is a much better fight for Georges. He's less of a threat in both the stand-up and wrestling departments.

2) Georges reportedly really wants the Diaz fight, and harbors no ill will toward Hendricks. As Dana said a while back, Georges was "begging" for the Diaz fight.

Take those two together, and it's no surprise at all why Zahabi is making this claim. I don't think Joe Silva or Dana White take it seriously though. Barring a superfight against Anderson, St-Pierre's next fight will be against "Bigg Rigg"

Post #11   11/30/12 10:24:48AM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
Whether Diaz is the number 1 contender or not, he should get the title shot. Diaz is the only person that may be able to beat GSP. Hendrix would get raped.

Post #12   11/30/12 11:56:13AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Hendricks is a young, active, progressing animal who's not only beaten top guys, he's got a very compelling style against GSP. I think he's absolutely the #1 contender based on merit, so I'd like to see that one first.

Unfortunately, the Diaz fight would make more money, and Nick and his camp are simply louder than Hendricks and his. There's also a bit of unfinished business here, though it's all 100% on Diaz. Lest we forget, he missed multiple press conferences, then lost the #1 contender fight, then got suspended for a year.

The question of legitimacy when it comes to marijuana as a banned substance isn't the pressing issue. It was the rule at the time, and Nick got caught. He also failed in the other 2 areas he was able to control. It's on him.

Looking at the WW field, especially MacDonald's reluctance to fight GSP, along with the duration of the suspension, I think it'd be reasonable for Diaz to fight for the belt after Hendricks. But before? No, even he does present an interesting matchup and some bank.

Last edited 11/30/12 1:53PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: formatting
2 total post edits

Post #13   11/30/12 1:52:21PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Chips:

Posted by isk

Hendricks is a young, active, progressing animal who's not only beaten top guys, he's got a very compelling style against GSP. I think he's absolutely the #1 contender based on merit, so I'd like to see that one first.

Unfortunately, the Diaz fight would make more money, and Nick and his camp are simply louder than Hendricks and his. There's also a bit of unfinished business here, though it's all 100% on Diaz. Lest we forget, he missed multiple press conferences, then lost the #1 contender fight, then got suspended for a year.

The question of legitimacy when it comes to marijuana as a banned substance isn't the pressing issue. It was the rule at the time, and Nick got caught. He also failed in the other 2 areas he was able to control. It's on him.

Looking at the WW field, especially MacDonald's reluctance to fight GSP, along with the duration of the suspension, I think it'd be reasonable for Diaz to fight for the belt after Hendricks. But before? No, even he does present an interesting matchup and some bank.

I can't disagree with anything you said here. Good post.

Post #14   11/30/12 2:08:36PM