Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Roy Nelson invites Matt Mitrione to participate in VADA testing for TUF 16 bout

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Just over 2 weeks out from the TUF 16 Finale, coach Roy Nelson asked opponent Matt Mitrione to join him in VADA drug testing.

Link

Post #1   11/29/12 11:39:34AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Chips:
Must be hard for Matt to turn it down, I mean of course he can but fans will ask why he turned it down. The old fashion if you don't take drugs, why'd you decline it.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #2   11/29/12 11:57:27AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,715-1,505
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Must be hard for Matt to turn it down, I mean of course he can but fans will ask why he turned it down. The old fashion if you don't take drugs, why'd you decline it.

I like Roy Nelson and I like my fighters clean, but I think this is unnecessary. I don't think VADA should be used as a tool to try to show your opponent up, and put him in the kind of pickle you mentioned above. It's pretty intrusive and I don't blame a fighter for turning it down even if they're squeaky clean. Maybe my opinion is the type of thing that enables more drug use in the sport...

Post #3   11/29/12 12:36:34PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by jjeans

I like Roy Nelson and I like my fighters clean, but I think this is unnecessary. I don't think VADA should be used as a tool to try to show your opponent up, and put him in the kind of pickle you mentioned above. It's pretty intrusive and I don't blame a fighter for turning it down even if they're squeaky clean. Maybe my opinion is the type of thing that enables more drug use in the sport...

It's Roy being Roy. The more I see him, the more I realize that he likes to annoy people and push buttons, and he's clearly using this VADA thing as a way to do that. I don't think for one second that he's trying to be a maverick and trying to clean up the sport, he knows he's clean and he's just trying to get into the head of any upcoming opponent by doing this. I guess it has to start somewhere, and if more guys take his approach the failed drug tests almost have to become more infrequent.

Post #4   11/29/12 12:44:43PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by jay98107

Posted by jjeans

It's Roy being Roy. The more I see him, the more I realize that he likes to annoy people and push buttons, and he's clearly using this VADA thing as a way to do that. I don't think for one second that he's trying to be a maverick and trying to clean up the sport, he knows he's clean and he's just trying to get into the head of any upcoming opponent by doing this. I guess it has to start somewhere, and if more guys take his approach the failed drug tests almost have to become more infrequent.

I have to agree, Roy Nelson isn't exactly gonna be the face of VADA. I don't think anybody has ever questioned whether Roy's on drugs or not.

I'm not saying anyone of these is, but if GSP, JDS, Aldo, (for the sake of argument) even Tibau came out and said I'm gonna use VADA testing from now on then it'd prove that the elite muscle bound fighters/champions aren't afraid to get tested.

The person who is getting tested is the one nobody has every said needs testing, and he's doing it because he wants to push there buttons. Maybe a future opponent will think shit what if this substance shows up, it'll get them thinking less about the fight and more about the testing etc and the fighter might lose fans unless he takes the test and passes it.

Last edited 11/29/12 1:15PM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #5   11/29/12 1:13:13PM