Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What's stopping you from stepping up?

Print  
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So guys basically what's stopping you from trying an amateur fight? Or if your an amateur then semi pro, semi-pro to pro?

Why haven't you made the move?

I was offered an amateur MMA fight but I turned it down because it was 3 weeks notice at 185 and I weight about 180. Other than that I haven't asked cause I've never felt ready, I've never felt at the peak of my fitness.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #1   11/28/12 9:51:31PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I've had 3 armature boxing matches an I ended up with a 2-1 record an I also fought for my university an had a 9-4 record when I left. I've never taken it any further mainly because I know I'd be on the business end of an ass whoopin. I'm ugly enough as it is so I can't afford to be gettin punched in the face for fun anymore. Also work and studies take up a hell of a lot of my time.
The difference between a guy who does it as a hobbie/to keep fit though an someone who actually wants to make a carreer of it in my oppinion is vast.

Just my opinion though I'd never try to discourage anyone from trying.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   11/28/12 10:19:11PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,243-813
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Well money is the glaring obvious reason. It's expensive to train.

The other is my ankles. I've torn ligaments in both my ankles playing basketball back in the 8th grade. Now when I started getting into MMA and started actually sparring I just couldn't take the leg kicks that landed with my foot

Ankles would look like grapefruits sometimes after

Post #3   11/28/12 11:38:16PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
injuries/surgeries. been plagued with them for a while. if i can defend my AM title a few times i'll go pro

Post #4   11/29/12 2:38:39AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
I wanna say sorry guys, I realised at 2am I hadn't posted a new thread so kinda rushed it! Will think of a better one for today

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #5   11/29/12 6:19:32AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Chips:
It wasn't really an option back in the late 90s.....so I did a few when I was a young Marine really just for fun. I never went and got real serious with it because I am in combat arms and deployed a lot that decade.....by the time things had cooled down enough to take another look at it I realised that the competition out there now a days is just flat out amazing! That and I was turning thirty!! Seriously though, guys who are decent pro's in current days would have been Champs in the early 2000's.

Post #6   11/29/12 1:40:55PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
For me it's an unfortunate baseball injury from the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of high school. I was leading off, pitcher tried to pick me off and when I slid back in the ball hit me in the face. It broke every bone in the right side of my face and crushed my sinus cavity. I had to have reconstructive surgery and the doctor told me that if I ever break my nose all the things they did in surgery will go too and I'll have to get it done again, and I have a fear of needles. I shouldn't even be sparring, but I do it anyway because I want to stay in shape and it's fun for me. That's why I want to try and find a place to learn bjj and eventually get good enough at it that I can train others and help others prepare for fights in mma since I can't fight myself.

Post #7   11/29/12 6:58:19PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There is no Amateur fights in California.

Post #8   12/29/12 5:19:01AM   

whitiqer

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:

Post #9   12/29/12 3:44:01PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:699-385
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i am looking to have my first amateur muay thai fight this year...i said i wanted to do it last year, i trained and got in quite good shape. I got a rib injury and kind of just stopped going, then i started my other leg sleeve tatt and i missed out on training for a while and yada yada yada...things just got in the way.

I am determined to do it this year though. I'm sitting at about 92kg and usually cut down to about 84-85kg when im very fit.

Post #10   1/14/13 5:06:01AM